2018 NFL Draft Prospect Pro Comps

Rich7sena

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Watch Settle, then go watch Cortez Kennedy. Tell me there aren't close similarities

Great comp.  I hope you don't mind if I steal it when I make my final players rankings for this class.

38 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Settle is overweight and has awful balance issues. In one series vs West Virginia he was on his back at the end of the play on four consecutive plays. No thanks.

Two things

- Baby weight can easily be fixed, natural ability (or lack thereof) cannot

- 1:01 on film pretty much debunks your argument of his balance with a pretty impressive play.

8 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Two things

- Baby weight can easily be fixed, natural ability (or lack thereof) cannot

- 1:01 on film pretty much debunks your argument of his balance with a pretty impressive play.

Idk about debunked but that was pretty good for a tub. But from the 3 or so games I've seen, he's on the ground way too much. A highlight from that West Virginia game comes up right after that play in the vid. Check out the full game on YT. I think it was the 2nd defensive series of the game, he was pancaked 4 consecutive times in 1 series. Never seen that before.

20 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Idk about debunked but that was pretty good for a tub. But from the 3 or so games I've seen, he's on the ground way too much. A highlight from that West Virginia game comes up right after that play in the vid. Check out the full game on YT. I think it was the 2nd defensive series of the game, he was pancaked 4 consecutive times in 1 series. Never seen that before.

I have, and you are entitled to your opinion, I just see him for what he can be, he's still a kid, you can't look at him with definitive glasses either way. The kid has tremendous upside

Also starting at 2:23 there were three consecutive plays where he almost singlehandedly caused a safety against BC where he totally dominated single, double and even triple team blocks. Situations like you stated against WVU and like this against BC are traits of youth and inconsistency.

3 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Baby is right.

Settle is overweight and has awful balance issues. In one series vs West Virginia he was on his back at the end of the play on four consecutive plays. No thanks.

He has balance issues because he plays out of control at this point in his development. It won't be hard to clean that up. He also lost a lot of weight prior to this season. That's my one big concern with him: weight/conditioning. However, you can't teach his size, strength, or movement skills. And the guy plays with a ton of energy and a great motor for such a big man. Not many guys his size will pursue sideline to sideline. Settle will.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He has balance issues because he plays out of control at this point in his development. It won't be hard to clean that up. He also lost a lot of weight prior to this season. That's my one big concern with him: weight/conditioning. However, you can't teach his size, strength, or movement skills. And the guy plays with a ton of energy and a great motor for such a big man. Not many guys his size will pursue sideline to sideline. Settle will.

I agree with a lot of this.  Most of his struggles are actually more because of how badly he beats people.  I don't think he's used to getting into the backfield that quickly and doesn't know/have any experience on what to do when he's there, so he just keeps going forward.  His one downfall is that he's horrible breaking down along the back of the feet of the OL.  If he can do that on a consistent basis, he's basically unstoppable.

I'm not sure I see a better fit than with the Chargers. Not only do they have a perfect, shaded, 1 gapping NT dominant scheme, but he would also have a mentor who's playstyle is very similar, and had some weight issues in the past.  I think that'd be as Ideal as you could ask for.

But I think what impresses me most about him is his ability to bend the edge, and some of the insane balance he shows. The play at 0:53 in the video is absolutely absurd.  A man that size, should be able to jump, fend off a cut block, land on one foot while basically touching his hands to the ground, and have the ability to plant and explode towards the QB in 1 step.  That's absurdity.

3 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

I agree with a lot of this.  Most of his struggles are actually more because of how badly he beats people.  I don't think he's used to getting into the backfield that quickly and doesn't know/have any experience on what to do when he's there, so he just keeps going forward.  His one downfall is that he's horrible breaking down along the back of the feet of the OL.  If he can do that on a consistent basis, he's basically unstoppable.

I'm not sure I see a better fit than with the Chargers. Not only do they have a perfect, shaded, 1 gapping NT dominant scheme, but he would also have a mentor who's playstyle is very similar, and had some weight issues in the past.  I think that'd be as Ideal as you could ask for.

The Rams are the best imo. Gets to play the shaded 0-tech in Wade's attacking scheme next to Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers. ;)

Yea, he's got calm down his the aggressiveness. When he attacks, he plays with his weight too far forward and ends up on the ground too often. He also will make himself easier to block than he should be by not recognizing the blocking scheme. IMO, those issues are due to youth and experience. I love his energy on the field. We all know the guy has the athletic gifts, but his motor is a real selling point. You can work out the kinks in his game, but you can't get most big men to play with the energy and determination that Settle does. How many fat men are going to try and chase down a QB like Kelly Bryant here:

giphy.gif

Hell, if he hadn't tripped, I think he might have caught him.

10 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Just watched the plays you were talking about vs WV.  And his entire role in those plays was just to make sure the play didn't get outside of him.  On the first one, he was just on the opposite side of the play and got tossed, no excuse, but he held his gap just fine had they run towards him.  In the 2nd, he split the double team, forced the RB the other way, and then once he was 3 yards into the backfield was tossed (along with the side flank block) by the blocker who's guy made the play.  Then he just falls as he's coming off the block to make the tackle (in the opposite A gap mind you).  Then the 4rd was a blatant tackle after he split the double, but it was in pass pro, so who cares.  All in all, not great to be on your back for that many plays, but there was legitimate reasons for them, it's not like he was just crumbling and falling to the ground.

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:47 AM, Duffman57 said:

HOLY CRAP....he won't be 21 until basically the start of TC this year.  That's nuts.  I'm all in for Settle at 17....in Bradley's attacking 1T, shaded NT...I'm all about it.

17 what?

18 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

17 what?

I'm a huge fan of Settle.  I was overreacting a little bit with 17, but I personally wouldn't be mad if someone took him late 1st.  He's got almost everything you want in a 1T NT. He has a playstyle very similar to that of Brandon Williams and Hankins.  People have killed him for testing poorly, and not being in ideal shape, but none of that matters to me, because his ability on the field is evident.  Explosiveness, strength, and ability to penetrate are all there in spades, and he's incredibly good using his hands.  He has some balance issues, and tends to over-run plays because he doesn't break down after he gets the penetration, but everything for him is very fixable IMO.  I have a lot of other issues with the other DT's like Vea (mostly that he disappears for long stretches, and basically just makes plays when he's able to throw blockers around, and while his strength plays at any level, I think it'll take him a little bit to learn how to play without being able to ragdoll centers) and Payne (completely taken out of the play by doubles, and really isn't a NT.  I think he's a better version of what Jaye Howard was in KC, back when he was good, great making plays when single blocked, great ability to stack and shed at the POA).  I think he has a ceiling of a truly elite NT.

Archived