2018 NFL Draft Prospect Pro Comps

Rich7sena

I've really struggled to get one for Miami RB Mark Walton but I think I've found a decent one: Mark Walton -> "Rich Man's" Chris Thompson

Both players have

- phenomenal short-area burst

- good speed

- good receiving ability/pass blocking ability

- can run in between the tackles

I think Walton's better though because he's tougher and more explosive, but not by too much for the latter.

On 4/19/2018 at 11:38 AM, goldfishwars said:

What do people think of Bradley Chubb and Everson Griffen? 

I think Chubb is more refined than Griffen was at the same point in their careers. I like Tyquan Lewis as an Everson Griffen type player this year.

Chubb reminds me more of a taller Khalil Mack or maybe a faster Tamba Hali. 

2 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

I've really struggled to get one for Miami RB Mark Walton but I think I've found a decent one: Mark Walton -> "Rich Man's" Chris Thompson

Both players have

- phenomenal short-area burst

- good speed

- good receiving ability/pass blocking ability

- can run in between the tackles

I think Walton's better though because he's tougher and more explosive, but not by too much for the latter.

Walton packs a wallop when he runs. He's a surprisingly nightmarish bulldozer. He isn't ripping away from DL or anything, but he'll put a DB on his butt before trying to juke him out. He's a mean runner. I think he's significantly better than Chris Thompson, but I haven't been able to come up with a great comparison for Mark Walton yet.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Walton packs a wallop when he runs. He's a surprisingly nightmarish bulldozer. He isn't ripping away from DL or anything, but he'll put a DB on his butt before trying to juke him out. He's a mean runner. I think he's significantly better than Chris Thompson, but I haven't been able to come up with a great comparison for Mark Walton yet.

Yeah. He's got so many different things to his game that it makes it difficult to find another guy who could do everything Walton could do. He's small but explosive yet is a tougher runner than the guys who are typically his size. And I haven't seen a great comp for the guy really anywhere. PFF says Dion Lewis - I think that's another mediocre one.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:38 AM, goldfishwars said:

Hard to do because Chubb has such a more productive college career.  Chubb had more tackles for loss in one season than Griffen did his entire career in college.  Chubb will be a top 5-10 pick and Griffen was a 4th rounder.  To Chubb's credit he is just as good of athlete as Griffen but Griffen in college to me was more of a potential 3/4 OLB with the athletic ability and quickness he had.  Chubb is just straight out strong and is a totally legit 4/3 DE and holds the point of attack better than Griffen.  Griffen now sure has molded into a fine DE but it took him a little while, he wins with great effort and burst off the ball, not sure Chubb will need that to win at the line of scrimmage, will see.  

But sure on paper in terms of size they are similar and have similar numbers in the combine roughly.  Totally different levels though in terms of what they are as prospects coming out of college though.

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Hard to do because Chubb has such a more productive college career.  Chubb had more tackles for loss in one season than Griffen did his entire career in college.  Chubb will be a top 5-10 pick and Griffen was a 4th rounder.  To Chubb's credit he is just as good of athlete as Griffen but Griffen in college to me was more of a potential 3/4 OLB with the athletic ability and quickness he had.  Chubb is just straight out strong and is a totally legit 4/3 DE and holds the point of attack better than Griffen.  Griffen now sure has molded into a fine DE but it took him a little while, he wins with great effort and burst off the ball, not sure Chubb will need that to win at the line of scrimmage, will see.  

But sure on paper in terms of size they are similar and have similar numbers in the combine roughly.  Totally different levels though in terms of what they are as prospects coming out of college though.

I've always found the best way to approach pro comps is to compare prospects to pros, not prospects to prospects. Griffen was more of a developmental prospect than Chubb, but I believe their games are parallel.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I've always found the best way to approach pro comps is to compare prospects to pros, not prospects to prospects. Griffen was more of a developmental prospect than Chubb, but I believe their games are parallel.

Possibly, but if Chubb is as weak at the point of attack as Griffen and only makes 3 Pro Bowls in 8 years, could argue for a top 5-10 pick that would be a disappointment.  Expectations are different considering where you are drafted, Griffen is a great success where he was drafted, would be different if he was a top 5 pick.  I just feel Chubb is a long stronger and potentially a more well rounded player especially against the run.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Possibly, but if Chubb is as weak at the point of attack as Griffen and only makes 3 Pro Bowls in 8 years, could argue for a top 5-10 pick that would be a disappointment. 

If Everson Griffen was drafted in the top 5, he would not be a disappointment. Griffen is an elite edge rusher in the NFL.

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ya'll underrate Thompson clealy haha

On 4/19/2018 at 11:38 AM, goldfishwars said:

Meh, I actually saw someone mention Brandon Graham that moved the needle with me. I actually see a combination of Brandon Graham mixed with Hugh Douglas with Chubb

Archived