2018 NFL Draft Prospect Pro Comps

Rich7sena

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

he’s got an elite edge

What does this mean? Like...he plays with a chip, or he's elite at bending around the edge? Because he's really not an elite edge rusher by any stretch. He wins with hand usage, not with a dip/rip worth writing home about. He's an average prospect.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

What does this mean? Like...he plays with a chip, or he's elite at bending around the edge? Because he's really not an elite edge rusher by any stretch. He wins with hand usage, not with a dip/rip worth writing home about. He's an average prospect.

Neither. Setting edge against the run.

Logan Woodside (Bengals) = Jon Kitna

I wish I would have gotten to Woodside's tape before the draft.  I only decided to check him out after I saw him get drafted.  He's definitely a sleeper in this class.  I think he can be a decent starter in the NFL like Jon Kitna.  He's not a franchise QB but he can develop into a decent spot starter for teams that are in transition.  I would have taken him in the 3rd round personally.  Bengals are lucky they got him in the 7th round.  He's gonna be better than many of the QBs drafted before him.

Player comps get dragged as being lazy analysis by some, but DJ communicates why I think they're important.

This draft season more than any I tried to verify my comps by going back on Gamepass and seeing how they check out. There are definite "types" of players at every position in the NFL, and although no two players are exactly alike, none are completely unique.

On 4/23/2018 at 7:59 PM, Ozzy said:

Hard to do because Chubb has such a more productive college career.  Chubb had more tackles for loss in one season than Griffen did his entire career in college.  Chubb will be a top 5-10 pick and Griffen was a 4th rounder.  To Chubb's credit he is just as good of athlete as Griffen but Griffen in college to me was more of a potential 3/4 OLB with the athletic ability and quickness he had.  Chubb is just straight out strong and is a totally legit 4/3 DE and holds the point of attack better than Griffen.  Griffen now sure has molded into a fine DE but it took him a little while, he wins with great effort and burst off the ball, not sure Chubb will need that to win at the line of scrimmage, will see.  

But sure on paper in terms of size they are similar and have similar numbers in the combine roughly.  Totally different levels though in terms of what they are as prospects coming out of college though.

agree.

You have to remember that Griffen sat for 3 years behind future HOF Jared Allen too. It's 3 out of 5 years as a starter that he's made the probowl.

Archived