2018 NFL Draft Prospect Pro Comps

Rich7sena

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Well, I do because im a Browns fan and if the Browns didn't take a shot on Robertson, he would probably be a kindergarten teacher. Lets relax, he was an UDFA who happened to get a shot from the worst team in football and who we let walk. You can find a Craig Robertson anywhere, thats highly offensive. Do yourself a favor and watch extensive amount of film because you clearly haven't watch enough of Baker to call him Craig Robertson. Christ....

You guys let him walk and it was a mistake.  Dude was a very good linebacker for the Saints.  The Saints have had numerous players that have left our team and turned out to be all-pro/pro bowl/great players.  Guys like Malcolm Jenkins, Patrick Robinson(who was a total bust for the Saints), Robert Ninkovic, etc.  Just because your team didn't get things out of Roberstson as an UDFA doesn't mean he's not a good player, just means your coaching staff/scheme didn't fit him.

Look at some of the UDFA players that teams like the Saints even have turned into quality/top flight players in their teams.  WR Lance Moore and RB Pierre Thomas for example.  Normally a player goes undrafted because tehy don't have the athleticism/size along with required production to overcome those deficiencies.  Robertson is a solid NFL starter that the Browns missed out on.  I mean let's not judge a player by what the Browns do with them.  If you haven't watched Robertson with the Saints then you've been missing out.  He was our 2nd best coverage LBer behind Klein and if he was more athletic he would've likely been our #1 coverage back, he had great timing when we brought him on blitzes, and he did a very good job in run support.  Now you add those same skills with the athleticism that Robertson is missing, then you got a very very good player.  I mean well AJ Klein was a back-up/special teamer on Carolina much like Robertson was with the Browns and turned out to be a great player for us as well.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

You guys let him walk and it was a mistake.  Dude was a very good linebacker for the Saints.  The Saints have had numerous players that have left our team and turned out to be all-pro/pro bowl/great players.  Guys like Malcolm Jenkins, Patrick Robinson(who was a total bust for the Saints), Robert Ninkovic, etc.  Just because your team didn't get things out of Roberstson as an UDFA doesn't mean he's not a good player, just means your coaching staff/scheme didn't fit him.

Look at some of the UDFA players that teams like the Saints even have turned into quality/top flight players in their teams.  WR Lance Moore and RB Pierre Thomas for example.  Normally a player goes undrafted because tehy don't have the athleticism/size along with required production to overcome those deficiencies.  Robertson is a solid NFL starter that the Browns missed out on.  I mean let's not judge a player by what the Browns do with them.  If you haven't watched Robertson with the Saints then you've been missing out.  He was our 2nd best coverage LBer behind Klein and if he was more athletic he would've likely been our #1 coverage back, he had great timing when we brought him on blitzes, and he did a very good job in run support.  Now you add those same skills with the athleticism that Robertson is missing, then you got a very very good player.  I mean well AJ Klein was a back-up/special teamer on Carolina much like Robertson was with the Browns and turned out to be a great player for us as well.

Sweet bro, way to deflect. Craig Robertson?. I guarantee someone fell out of their chair when they heard that.

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Sweet bro, way to deflect. Craig Robertson.......

Nothing wrong with Craig Robertson.  80 Tackles, 6 PBU, 2 INT, 2 Sacks, 1 FF, 74.6 rating by PFF which would put him firmly in the average category.  Now you make him more athletic so the plays that he missed on due to a lack of it, then you are probably seeing 100+ tackles, 2+ ints, 3+ sacks, 1+ FF, and probably a mid 80 rating by PFF which would put him above average.  For comparison sakes that would put him around the level of productivity as Navarro Bowman this year.  So based off playstyle, I think he is comparable to Robertson, solid in a lot of areas but not a stud in any, but he's much more athletic, which means he will be that much more productive, which I said numerous times, not deflecting, you are just ignoring it.

8 hours ago, Raves said:

Nothing wrong with Craig Robertson.  80 Tackles, 6 PBU, 2 INT, 2 Sacks, 1 FF, 74.6 rating by PFF which would put him firmly in the average category.  Now you make him more athletic so the plays that he missed on due to a lack of it, then you are probably seeing 100+ tackles, 2+ ints, 3+ sacks, 1+ FF, and probably a mid 80 rating by PFF which would put him above average.  For comparison sakes that would put him around the level of productivity as Navarro Bowman this year.  So based off playstyle, I think he is comparable to Robertson, solid in a lot of areas but not a stud in any, but he's much more athletic, which means he will be that much more productive, which I said numerous times, not deflecting, you are just ignoring it.

I just can't bro...I'll just agree that you have the right to your own opinion.

On 1/15/2018 at 1:55 PM, BleedTheClock said:

The urgency in Deion Jones’ game was more on display. He read guards as well as anyone and had the speed to just destroy guys with his closing speed. Plus he was surprisingly strong against blockers.

Baker does everything Deion Jones does...just a tick worse. He’s barely slower, barely less physical, barely worse at making run game reads. 

Baker's probably going to test similarly to (if not better than) Deion Jones (4.59 40, 120'' BJ, 33'' VJ). Doesn't really matter though, Baker's JR tape is atrocious until the final three games of the season (Michigan/Wisconsin/USC). He is absolutely awful at reading his keys, gets caught out of position consistently in play-action, gets driven out of plays when olineman reach second level and can get their hands on him. Put on the Iowa game and Oklahoma game and you'll see absolutely atrocious performances. He's great if you let him run and chase and work in space. Have him spy, have him rush the passer or play on the boundary and he'll do some good things, but he requires a lot more coaching to be a true NFL backer. 

6 minutes ago, ak23 said:

Baker's probably going to test similarly to (if not better than) Deion Jones (4.59 40, 120'' BJ, 33'' VJ). Doesn't really matter though, Baker's JR tape is atrocious until the final three games of the season (Michigan/Wisconsin/USC). He is absolutely awful at reading his keys, gets caught out of position consistently in play-action, gets driven out of plays when olineman reach second level and can get their hands on him. Put on the Iowa game and Oklahoma game and you'll see absolutely atrocious performances. He's great if you let him run and chase and work in space. Have him spy, have him rush the passer or play on the boundary and he'll do some good things, but he requires a lot more coaching to be a true NFL backer. 

Bill Davis, do research. All tOSU LBs suffered this year after Fickell left. People, wake up, the talent is there. Open your eyes and see it, those things can be coached up on the next level.

7 hours ago, brownie man said:

Opinions on this comparison 

Tremaine Edwards to Lavar Arrington?

Boy Edmunds (I'm assuming this is who you meant) is not nearly as physically powerful as Arrington was. He's also only 19 apparently so he has time to become much bigger and stronger, but Arrington was a physical marvel. There's nothing wrong with Edmunds in terms of physical ability, but LaVar Arrington was much more physically imposing.

Also, I haven't seen that many games of VT and Edmunds (3), but he doesn't stick out like a sore thumb when it comes to making plays. In two of the games I watched he was a complete non factor and in the other he played good but not great. Arrington dominated games. He was unblockable and hit like a ton of bricks.

You can compare them in terms of their versatility to play run defense, rush the passer, and play in passing lanes, but Arrington was significantly bigger, faster, and stronger. If it weren't for his major injury issues, Arrington would have been an all-time great.

On 1/16/2018 at 11:19 PM, Raves said:

It's not like Craig Robertson wasnt solid for the Browns it's just that he didn't survive the semi-annual roster purging.  We didn't really miss out on Craig Robertson or fail to develop him in any way, same can be said about a lot of players the Browns didnt feel like paying because being terrible makes everybody seem much more expendable.

In watching Rosen against Washington and ASU I really get a Sam Bradford feel. Surely more mobile, but hes clearly most comfortable out of the shotgun, looks the part of an NFL quarterback and has all the tools to be a star. With that said many Eagles fans used to jokingly question whether Bradford dunked the footballs he was throwing in baby oil or were his receivers simply that bad due to all the drops. We also questioned his willingness to take shots down the field and was more of a checkdown Charlie and in those two games Rosen's success came on checkdowns.

Another criticism of Bradford in Philadelphia was his tendency to hold the ball which may have been a shot at his receivers as well but it's just the feel I get when watching those games.

Rosen obviously has all the talent in the world but those two games looked like a lot of the things I saw from Bradford in Philly, good and bad.

23 minutes ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

In watching Rosen against Washington and ASU I really get a Sam Bradford feel. Surely more mobile, but hes clearly most comfortable out of the shotgun, looks the part of an NFL quarterback and has all the tools to be a star. With that said many Eagles fans used to jokingly question whether Bradford dunked the footballs he was throwing in baby oil or were his receivers simply that bad due to all the drops. We also questioned his willingness to take shots down the field and was more of a checkdown Charlie and in those two games Rosen's success came on checkdowns.

Another criticism of Bradford in Philadelphia was his tendency to hold the ball which may have been a shot at his receivers as well but it's just the feel I get when watching those games.

Rosen obviously has all the talent in the world but those two games looked like a lot of the things I saw from Bradford in Philly, good and bad.

Without watching TOO much Allen and not refreshing myself on Mayfield since the end of the season, I think Sam Darnold may be my favorite QB in the draft. I watched the Coloroado and Ohio State games and he made NFL throw after NFL throw, showed athletic ability and escapability in the pocket and the ability to tuck it and run.

Game reminds me of Derek Carr.

On 1/20/2018 at 1:34 AM, Rod Johnson said:

It's not like Craig Robertson wasnt solid for the Browns it's just that he didn't survive the semi-annual roster purging.  We didn't really miss out on Craig Robertson or fail to develop him in any way, same can be said about a lot of players the Browns didnt feel like paying because being terrible makes everybody seem much more expendable.

I mean the Saints also let Patrick Robinson, Malcom Jenkins, Rob Ninkovic, Akeem Hicks, and many many more defensive players leave the Saints only to become starters/pro bowlers on other teams, every team just doesn't think a player fits their scheme or doesn't see enough on the practice field to keep them around.  Robertson was brought in to be a back-up LBer and special teamer and got thrust into the starting role because of injuries and performed very well.  I mean not good enough that the Saints shouldn't look for an upgrade as he doesn't have the athleticism needed for the position as a starter, but enough that his job is secured IMO.  He's been able to play in coverage, run support, blitzing, etc but didn't excel at any of them, he was good but not great in it all, I think Jerome Baker is the same where he's good at everything but doesn't excel at anything, but also has the athleticism that Robertson doesn't.

Archived