2018 NFL Draft Prospect Pro Comps

Rich7sena

Kalen Ballage...Latavius Murray? 

Both were big backs coming out in terms of size 6'3 220-225  but each leaves something desired in terms of power when it comes to running head on. Decent pass catchers but somewhat inconsistent. They don't have the lateral agility or COD to dance around as much as they do. Downhill slashers who tend to move East/West too much for their own good. 

1 hour ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Kalen Ballage...Latavius Murray? 

Both were big backs coming out in terms of size 6'3 220-225  but each leaves something desired in terms of power when it comes to running head on. Decent pass catchers but somewhat inconsistent. They don't have the lateral agility or COD to dance around as much as they do. Downhill slashers who tend to move East/West too much for their own good. 

Hmmm. I'm sure people will pan this comp because Ballage seems like a freak athlete but the more I think about it, it's not that far off. 

10 hours ago, Raves said:

I mean the Saints also let Patrick Robinson, Malcom Jenkins, Rob Ninkovic, Akeem Hicks, and many many more defensive players leave the Saints only to become starters/pro bowlers on other teams, every team just doesn't think a player fits their scheme or doesn't see enough on the practice field to keep them around.  Robertson was brought in to be a back-up LBer and special teamer and got thrust into the starting role because of injuries and performed very well.  I mean not good enough that the Saints shouldn't look for an upgrade as he doesn't have the athleticism needed for the position as a starter, but enough that his job is secured IMO.  He's been able to play in coverage, run support, blitzing, etc but didn't excel at any of them, he was good but not great in it all, I think Jerome Baker is the same where he's good at everything but doesn't excel at anything, but also has the athleticism that Robertson doesn't.

I'm a buckeye fan and I've watched a lot of Baker but it would really take me looking at them side by side to compare, I get most my opinions on prospects from this site and dont usually post in the section just lurk.

I think I'm more in your camp on Craig Robertson as a player.  I think he could possibly been for you guys exactly what he was for us because he matches more to me what you say about him than what MSU does even though we are both Browns fans.  It's just whenever your team goes through coaches, and like you said scheme changes, those types of cuts just end up being like "ehh whatever".  But I don't think he was bad on the Browns, he was actually pretty remarkable for an UDFA, that's a guy we scribbled into our starting lineup for a couple years and you could never say was noticeably bad or great.  He, for better or worse, probably would have started over Joe Schobert to begin the season and definitely would have played for us once Jaime Collins went down.  He's legit borderline starter in the NFL.

31 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I'm a buckeye fan and I've watched a lot of Baker but it would really take me looking at them side by side to compare, I get most my opinions on prospects from this site and dont usually post in the section just lurk.

I think I'm more in your camp on Craig Robertson as a player.  I think he could possibly been for you guys exactly what he was for us because he matches more to me what you say about him than what MSU does even though we are both Browns fans.  It's just whenever your team goes through coaches, and like you said scheme changes, those types of cuts just end up being like "ehh whatever".  But I don't think he was bad on the Browns, he was actually pretty remarkable for an UDFA, that's a guy we scribbled into our starting lineup for a couple years and you could never say was noticeably bad or great.  He, for better or worse, probably would have started over Joe Schobert to begin the season and definitely would have played for us once Jaime Collins went down.  He's legit borderline starter in the NFL.

Yeah Robertson is rock solid in all areas. He's just laterally stiff. Jerome Baker does not have that problem at all. If Robertson had lateral explosion, he'd be a stud. Jerome Baker has off the charts explosion and athleticism. It's why I don't really see the Robertson comparison. Baker needs to refine his reads and not play so out of control. That is his flaw right now--he doesn't look supremely natural playing linebacker. Other than that, he has everything you need. If he goes to a team with some great coaches and a great scheme in place (like Pittsburgh), he'll be a pro bowl linebacker. Robertson has nowhere near that kind of ceiling.

James Washington = Chris Chambers

Feel really good about this one.  Both have similar height and ridiculous wingspans.  Chambers ran fast at the combine.  I expect James Washington to do the same.  I also like James Washington to develop into a really good but not elite NFL WR like Chris Chambers.

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Feel really good about this one.  Both have similar height and ridiculous wingspans.  Chambers ran fast at the combine.  I expect James Washington to do the same.  I also like James Washington to develop into a really good but not elite NFL WR like Chris Chambers.

Chambers wasn't an elite WR. Something I remember Chambers for most is his crazy leaping ability. I don't think I see that with Washington.

A few I've ben tooling around in my head:

Tyquan Lewis - Mario Edwards Jr.

Tyrell Crosby - Trent Williams (yes, I'm bullish)

Jamarco Jones - Ereck Flowers

Royce Freeman - Jordan Howard

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Chambers wasn't an elite WR. Something I remember Chambers for most is his crazy leaping ability. I don't think I see that with Washington.

In what freaking world does Jones remind you of Flowers? Flowers has maybe the ugliest kick slide in the NFL, and Jones may have the best in the draft, and is a complete technician.  Jones is 6'4" 310, while Flowers is about 6'7" and 330.  Jones' best assett is technique and footwork, which are the two worst parts of Flowers' game.

The guy who reminds me most of Jordan Howard is Rashaad Penny.

Ballage REALLY reminds me of the prospect version of David Johnson, but just lacks the production. The thing that differentiates Ballage from Murray is how straight line Murray was.  Ballage is VERY agile for how big he is, and cuts freakishly quickly.  He almost has some of the same qualities that made Mixon so valuable.  He's going to run in the low 4.4's, at 6'2" 225, and has the lateral agility and hands of a 3rd down back.  His footwork isn't there yet, and he is lacking a little bit as a pure runner, but the guy just has all of the makeup of a top RB in this league.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I guess I could have said it better.  I meant to say that as Chris Chambers wasn't an elite WR, I don't think James Washington will either.  They are both good but not elite.

Sorry for the confusion.

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Quenton Nelson reminds me of if Joe Thomas was a left guard 

I agree with this.  Quenton Nelson is special.  He's one of 3 surefire Hall of Fame talents I see right now in this draft:

1. RB Saquon Barkley (Penn State)

2. WR Antonio Callaway (Florida)

3. OL Quenton Nelson (Notre Dame)

2 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

In what freaking world does Jones remind you of Flowers? Flowers has maybe the ugliest kick slide in the NFL, and Jones may have the best in the draft, and is a complete technician.  Jones is 6'4" 310, while Flowers is about 6'7" and 330.  Jones' best assett is technique and footwork, which are the two worst parts of Flowers' game.

The comp was more meant to illustrate how both win emphatically and lose spectacularly.

7 hours ago, VanS said:

@IDOG_det is this the guy you got Chris Chambers comparison from?

Archived