2018 NFL Draft Prospect Pro Comps

Rich7sena

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Marcus Davenport looks like a less rocked up, more athletic Shawn Oakman (same skinny lower body)

He's so much more explosive and violent with his hands (to players, not women). Davenport has a disgusting bull rush. He just murks OT's back into the QB with ease. He's extremely raw, but contrary to what I saw people say about him today in the Senior Bowl, he plays hard. I watched 3 of his CFB tapes and was blown away with his effort, violence, and tenacity. And at the time, I didn't realize how big he was. I googled it after watching the film and my jaw dropped to the floor when I saw he was listed at 6'7. This is not Tanoh Kpassagnon; this is a much faster, much more consistent, and a much more violent guy.

Not sure there is a good comparison for Davenport. He reminds me of Calais Campbell in the way he beats OT's, but Campbell was not the athlete he was and was significantly larger/bulkier than Davenport, even as an NFL prospect when Campbell was pretty thin. I struggle with a comp for him. Greg Ellis maybe?

18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Not sure there is a good comparison for Davenport. He reminds me of Calais Campbell in the way he beats OT's, but Campbell was not the athlete he was and was significantly larger/bulkier than Davenport, even as an NFL prospect when Campbell was pretty thin. I struggle with a comp for him. Greg Ellis maybe?

I was thinking he’s sort of like a less athletic Clowney.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's so much more explosive and violent with his hands (to players, not women). Davenport has a disgusting bull rush. He just murks OT's back into the QB with ease. He's extremely raw, but contrary to what I saw people say about him today in the Senior Bowl, he plays hard. I watched 3 of his CFB tapes and was blown away with his effort, violence, and tenacity. And at the time, I didn't realize how big he was. I googled it after watching the film and my jaw dropped to the floor when I saw he was listed at 6'7. This is not Tanoh Kpassagnon; this is a much faster, much more consistent, and a much more violent guy.

I was just speaking on physical looks.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Kind of weird we haven't seen any Anquan Boldin comp's like we see every year.
I'm ashamed of all you.

There aren't really any guys that are comparable to Boldin this year. Guys that play similarly don't have anywhere near the body type Boldin did. I can't think of any squatty possession guys in this class. I haven't evaluated Michael Gallup at all yet though. Is he similar at all? No clue what his game looks like.

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I just found it weird that all of the sudden this guy comes out of the blue and dropped this comparison when we were just talking about it. 

Great minds think alike I guess.

I was watching the senior bowl practices earlier this week and it kept bugging me as to who James Washington looked like.  I knew he looked just like someone I knew.  I just couldn't put a name to it.  And then out of nowhere it hit me.  I actually couldn't remember Chambers name but I remembered was that the player Washington reminded me of was a receiver from the University of Wisconsin that played for the Miami Dolphins when I was a kid.  I actually had to use Google to remember Chambers name.  Then I saw that Chambers ran a 4.33 in 2001 so the comparison to Washington who is also supposed to be fast made perfect sense.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, BleedTheClock said:

He's not big enough to play DT and he's not fast enough to bend the edge as a 4-3 DE. Not long enough to lock out OT's as a 5-Tech. He's an undersized 3-Tech that is going to get washed away on down blocks from NFL lineman.

He's strong and he hustles. But Tank Carradine was the same way and he is a solid rotational player.

EDIT: DeMarcus Walker syndrome.

CLoser to Grady Jarrett IMO. Probably a slightly better one. He's not Donald, but who is

Here are my comps for the top pass rushers in the 2018 draft:

1. Marcus Davenport (UTSA) - Jason Taylor (Dolphins)

2. Arden Key (LSU) - Simeon Rice (Buccaneers)

3. Bradley Chubb (NC State) - Peter Boulware (Ravens)

I feel best about the Bradley Chubb/Peter Boulware comparison.  Arden Key and Simeon Rice also match well.  The toughest one for me is Marcus Davenport.  He's physically so similar to Jason Taylor.  He even moves like him.  I'm just not confident that he can be as good a player as Taylor turned out to be.

On 1/27/2018 at 8:02 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Honestly, anyone see a little bit of Greg Hardy to his game (since were comparing them to woman beaters)?

Archived