2018 NFL Draft Prospect Pro Comps

Rich7sena

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's not big enough to play DT and he's not fast enough to bend the edge as a 4-3 DE. Not long enough to lock out OT's as a 5-Tech. He's an undersized 3-Tech that is going to get washed away on down blocks from NFL lineman.

He's strong and he hustles. But Tank Carradine was the same way and he is a solid rotational player.

You think he's undersized? He's about the same size as Sheldon Rankins and similar in density as Gerald McCoy. He's also immensely strong. Few players get double and triple teamed as much as Hurst does and he still finds ways to win. I think he can play 1 or 3 tech day one in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

You think he's undersized? He's about the same size as Sheldon Rankins and similar in density as Gerald McCoy. He's also immensely strong. Few players get double and triple teamed as much as Hurst does and he still finds ways to win. I think he can play 1 or 3 tech day one in the NFL.

Ok well if you want to compare him to Gerald McCoy and Sheldon Rankins....do you think he has the same explosion as those two? Because that's not even close to being true. Those two guys dominate with their first step and short area quickness. Hurst is a sturdier version, but he's nowhere near as athletic as those two. He's got slow feet and a bleh first step.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

Ok well if you want to compare him to Gerald McCoy and Sheldon Rankins....do you think he has the same explosion as those two? Because that's not even close to being true. Those two guys dominate with their first step and short area quickness. Hurst is a sturdier version, but he's nowhere near as athletic as those two. He's got slow feet and a bleh first step.

Yes.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Saquon Barkley----Ahman Green +5 in every statistical category

Calvin Ridley----Chad Johnson with a tick more speed

These two really struck me as being inaccurate but you gave no context for your comparisons so I'm not sure what you're basing your comparisons on.

Saquon Barkley regularly drops his hips and runs laterally in a violent/explosive way. Ahman Green was nothing like that - more of a lean/weave guy who worked in a line. Running style and athleticism are very different. 

Calvin Ridley is explosive vertically like Johnson but Ridley has a proportioned build, is extremely agile and adds an after the catch dynamic whereas Chad Johnson was leggy, stiff and just a vertical/sideline guy. Too much of a difference with their build/athleticism for me to like the comparison. 

4 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

These two really struck me as being inaccurate but you gave no context for your comparisons so I'm not sure what you're basing your comparisons on.

Saquon Barkley regularly drops his hips and runs laterally in a violent/explosive way. Ahman Green was nothing like that - more of a lean/weave guy who worked in a line. Running style and athleticism are very different. 

Calvin Ridley is explosive vertically like Johnson but Ridley has a proportioned build, is extremely agile and adds an after the catch dynamic whereas Chad Johnson was leggy, stiff and just a vertical/sideline guy. Too much of a difference with their build/athleticism for me to like the comparison. 

I had a hard time coming up with a Ridley comparison. I think they both have excellent route running, ball tracking skills, and the ability to rip down contested balls. But you are right in that Ridley is more explosive after the catch. I'm not sure what WR has a similar skill set. Also, I think you're underselling Chad Johnson's quickness. He was a great route runner. After the catch he was useless, but he had excellent footwork to set up routes. I don't think Chad was stiff, but to say he's stiffer than Ridley is a proper assumption.

Green was a superstar back in the day. His vision and power/speed combo is what brought me to that comparison. Green also was pretty good out of the backfield, if I recall correctly. Barkley has more wiggle for sure, but I can't think of another RB that does what Barkley does. Maybe Jones-Drew, but that's a slap in the face to Barkley IMO. Tough to find a comp for that dude too.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's strong and he hustles. But Tank Carradine was the same way and he is a solid rotational player.

EDIT: DeMarcus Walker syndrome.

I just saw this edit. Are you comparing Hurst to Walker? They're very different players. Walker wasn't a strength/leverage player and relied on hand work to penetrate. Hurst uses burst x strength to win, and with far more consistency than Walker.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I just saw this edit. Are you comparing Hurst to Walker? They're very different players. Walker wasn't a strength/leverage player and relied on hand work to penetrate. Hurst uses burst x strength to win, and with far more consistency than Walker.

This isn't true. Walker made a ton of splash plays at Florida State. I don't love either as prospects, but the fact remains: both are tweeners without a true position. Grit and want-to are great traits, but they aren't going to get the job done in the NFL on a consistent basis. They're going to be washed inside and aren't going to be full-time guys playing against NFL OT's.

You are right that Walker wasn't a leverage player, but I'm comparing them as prospects because both were collegiate studs that are going to be hurt by their lack of physical gifts. I don't understand how anyone can see Hurst as this super explosive UT prospect...

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't understand how anyone can see Hurst as this super explosive UT prospect...

Beats guard inside with hands and quickness to flush QB out on 3rd and 6 (money down).

u4NXPV.gif

Splits the double team to make the sack.

aGKI66.gif

First off the ball to beat his man upfield. Comes off his man to make the tackle.

nFUaMd.gif

Again, first off the line to make the tackle int he backfield.

hV8l36.gif

Textbook stack and shed.

R7BCFg.gif

First off the snap. Splits double team. Sack.

OKOVO2.gif

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 10:55 PM, Rich7sena said:

A few more with some amendments:

QB

• Sam Darnold - Jameis Winston
  • Josh Rosen - Matt Ryan 
  • Baker Mayfield - Jeff Garcia
  • Josh Allen - Joe Flacco
  • Kurt Benkert - Nick Foles
  • Mason Rudolph - Derek Anderson

RB

• Saquon Barkley - Ladainian Tomlinson
  • Nick Chubb - Doug Martin
  • Damien Harris - Ahmad Bradshaw
  • Derrius Guice - Ezekiel Elliott
  • Reshaad Penny - Jonathan Stewart
  • Kerryon Johnson - DeMarco Murray

WR

• Cavin Ridley - Stefan Diggs
  • Michael Gallup - Marvin Jones
  • Cortland Sutton - Brandon Marshall

DL

• Maurice Hurst - Mike Daniels
  • Vita Vea - Damon Harrison
  • Da'Ron Payne - Nick Fairley

Edge

• Bradley Chubb - Tamba Hali
  • Harold Landry - Cliff Avril
  • Arden Key - Robert Quinn
  • Jeff Holland - Dante Fowler

DB

• Denzel Ward - Jason Verrett
  • Tarvarus McFadden - Sean Smith
  • Minkah Fitzpatrick - Micah Hyde
  • Derwin James - Reshad Jones
  • Joshua Jackson - Josh Norman

On 11/25/2017 at 2:51 PM, lod01 said:

Sure he does...if he needs to. 1:15, 1:48, 4:15, 4:41, 4:52, 4:58, 7:27 says if he needs to move he can easily. Just because he doesn't need to run like most college QB, especially the SEC, doesn't mean he can't. He's just capable of passing a football in college, thus he doesn't need to run even when he is forced out of the pocket. he finds an open guy instead..

Is it just me or does he look small?

Quarterbacks... does not mean I believe success/failure will be replicated; just what I see... obviously things that we can't evaluate (mental, scheme fit, development) factors into this. 

• Josh Allen - Cam Newton (best case) 
  • Sam Darnold - Jamies Winston 
  • Lamar Jackson - Michael Vick (best case) 
  • Baker Mayfield - Dak Prescott 
  • Josh Rosen - Joe Namath 
  • Mason Rudolph - Kirk Cousins (best case) 

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Josh Allen - Cam Newton (best case) 

Lynch also got this comps when he was coming out and I don't see it at all.

Do you think Allen is athletic enough to call designed runs for? Do you think he can run QB power or rip off 60 yard runs? I know you say best case but these traits are inseparable from a Newton comp.

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Lynch also got this comps when he was coming out and I don't see it at all.

Do you think Allen is athletic enough to call designed runs for? Do you think he can run QB power or rip off 60 yard runs? I know you say best case but these traits are inseparable from a Newton comp.

When I say use his legs, I mean by getting him outside the pocket, zone read, RPOs, bootlegs, etc. - not necessarily "designed runs". He's not going to rip off 60 yard runs, but he's going to run in the 4.6s at 6'5", 235 and we've seen how good of a runner he can be on tape. I'd put his running ability somewhere between Carson Wentz and Cam. 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

When I say use his legs, I mean by getting him outside the pocket, zone read, RPOs, bootlegs, etc. - not necessarily "designed runs". He's not going to rip off 60 yard runs, but he's going to run in the 4.6s at 6'5", 235 and we've seen how good of a runner he can be on tape. I'd put his running ability somewhere between Carson Wentz and Cam. 

I'd be surprised if he breaks 4.7. If I had to bet, he seems closer to a 4.8 type guy. I also expect his 3-cone time to be unimpressive. I consider Wentz to be markedly more athletic than Allen.

Allen, like Lynch, is relatively athletic for his size, but he's not great at running.

Archived