Coupla Off Season Wonderings ?

RSkinGM

Any chance R R quits. Been through the health scare. Should be rich enough. Maybe somene would pay him to be part of a front office.

Will Heiny be back ? Will he get feed up here and someone ( only takes one ) offer him a deal he can't refuse and a chance to compete to start . I guess it's no great loss but hope he returns. Might not be as easy as some think .

Daron Payne - He won't sign so it's back to two tags ala Cousins and Schreff . UGH

Del Rio . Is he coming back if Riveria stays? I don't think he's getting the juice from his defense . 

Do we overrate Kam Curl. ? Good player but game changer ? 

What about Sweat ? 

Will A G be signed long term or just play out his rook contract ? 

We're overpaying Fuller .

Draft- Has to be all O L and L B UNLESS that Q B pops down to us ! BUT who'll even be running the Draft !?

Going to be a BAD off season with the ownership likely in transition . I'm too damn old for this ! 😒

29 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Any chance R R quits. Been through the health scare. Should be rich enough. Maybe somene would pay him to be part of a front office.

Doubtful.  He's a loyal guy and if he quit his whole staff would have to find other jobs. 

30 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Will Heiny be back ?

I don't see why he wouldn't be.  At worst he's a top tier backup. 

31 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Will he get feed up here and someone ( only takes one ) offer him a deal he can't refuse and a chance to compete to start .

I think he will have interest around the league as a backup. However, its hard not to argue just staying here isn't his best chance to start next year. 

32 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Daron Payne - He won't sign so it's back to two tags ala Cousins and Schreff . UGH

I think we are going to franchise tag him.  Whether we sign him to a long term extension after that remains to be seen. 

33 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Del Rio . Is he coming back if Riveria stays? I don't think he's getting the juice from his defense .

I would fire him and bring in an outside hire for a new perspective on the defense.  However, I don't believe Rivera would fire him, and if he did I think he would just promote someone from within which would defeat the purpose. 

34 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Yes I do believe we overrate his impact.  Good player but not an elite player, we should pay him as such. 

35 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

What about Sweat ?

I would probably try to offer him a reasonable but not super expensive extension.  The issue with him playing out his 5th year option is if we can't get either him or Payne extended this offseason, then next offseason we can only franchise tag one of them. Ideally you extend Payne now and let Sweat play out on his 5th year option this year (with the option to franchise tag him next offseason if he goes nuts). We need to be careful on these extensions to not pay solid starters like superstars. 

38 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Are we? He was the 21st CB in the NFL this year as far as average annual per year salary and he's still a solid starting option.  I suppose we could restructure or extend him but if you're proposing cutting him I would highly disagree.  You'd just be creating a new hole on the roster. 

40 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Draft- Has to be all O L and L B UNLESS that Q B pops down to us ! BUT who'll even be running the Draft !?

I think we have to enter the draft either looking for a LT or QB in the first. Maybe a mid round linebacker unless you plan to let Holcomb walk (and not sign a replacement in FA, which there will be options). 

41 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Going to be a BAD off season with the ownership likely in transition .

I would argue the ownership being in transition means the is the greatest offseason this franchise will have in 23 years. 

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Doubtful.  He's a loyal guy and if he quit his whole staff would have to find other jobs. 

I don't see why he wouldn't be.  At worst he's a top tier backup. 

I think he will have interest around the league as a backup. However, its hard not to argue just staying here isn't his best chance to start next year. 

I think we are going to franchise tag him.  Whether we sign him to a long term extension after that remains to be seen. 

I would fire him and bring in an outside hire for a new perspective on the defense.  However, I don't believe Rivera would fire him, and if he did I think he would just promote someone from within which would defeat the purpose. 

Yes I do believe we overrate his impact.  Good player but not an elite player, we should pay him as such. 

I would probably try to offer him a reasonable but not super expensive extension.  The issue with him playing out his 5th year option is if we can't get either him or Payne extended this offseason, then next offseason we can only franchise tag one of them. Ideally you extend Payne now and let Sweat play out on his 5th year option this year (with the option to franchise tag him next offseason if he goes nuts). We need to be careful on these extensions to not pay solid starters like superstars. 

Are we? He was the 21st CB in the NFL this year as far as average annual per year salary and he's still a solid starting option.  I suppose we could restructure or extend him but if you're proposing cutting him I would highly disagree.  You'd just be creating a new hole on the roster. 

I think we have to enter the draft either looking for a LT or QB in the first. Maybe a mid round linebacker unless you plan to let Holcomb walk (and not sign a replacement in FA, which there will be options). 

I would argue the ownership being in transition means the is the greatest offseason this franchise will have in 23 years. 

Great replies- step by step/ Impressive. I thank you. Can't counter argue on anything . 

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I doubt it. Too much pride it seems. And arrogance. 

Will Heiny be back ? Will he get feed up here and someone ( only takes one ) offer him a deal he can't refuse and a chance to compete to start . I guess it's no great loss but hope he returns. Might not be as easy as some think .

I'd guess 60/40 towards him being back. 

Why won't he? It's possible I think.

Rivera is going to have to do "something" to shake up Year 4. I'm guessing JDR or Turner is out. 

No. He's good. It's showed the last couple of weeks with him out. 

What about Sweat ? 

I think so, but I could be convinced otherwise. 

Play out contract. Maybe come back on a McKissic type deal?

Yes, but that's almost done. 

I'm with you. 

Going to be a BAD off season with the ownership likely in transition . I'm too damn old for this ! 😒

Gonna be verrrrry interesting. 

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I doubt it. Too much pride it seems. And arrogance. 

I'd guess 60/40 towards him being back. 

Why won't he? It's possible I think.

Rivera is going to have to do "something" to shake up Year 4. I'm guessing JDR or Turner is out. 

No. He's good. It's showed the last couple of weeks with him out. 

I think so, but I could be convinced otherwise. 

Play out contract. Maybe come back on a McKissic type deal?

Yes, but that's almost done. 

I'm with you. 

Gonna be verrrrry interesting. 

Arte Johnson Very Interesting GIF - Arte Johnson Very Interesting GIFs

23 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Unfortunately, I don't think he would but would be ideal if he did. 

I'm 50/50 on this. I think he's tired of the BS but at the same time seems like he reciprocates the love to the teammates that they have to him, and I don't see many teams lining up to sign him, I think if he's available people would kick the tires on him but I could see it being a midseason thing if a team has their QB going down if he isn't already signed. 

I don't think he's going anywhere yet. I think the tag comes, but Jon Allen is going to be a big influence in keeping him in Washington for awhile (wishful thinking).

If Rivera is still here, I think Del Rio is still here. Rivera was asked in a presser if he saw the 3rd year jump like he's always talked about and he said he has (I have no idea how he's seen it because we sure haven't) and he'll keep everyone. 

IMO not at all. I think Kam is a dude and a game changer for us. Our defense really struggled this year in every game he didn't play, and was pretty good with him playing. You could say it was the competition but he's just so smart and he had to play in the box a ton this year with Holcomb out which is partially why he didn't have any INT's this year. I don't think he needs to get paid an astronomical amount, but they have to pay him and keep him and DFoe together. 

What about Sweat ? 

Montez is a tough one for me. He is what he is. He's going to get 6-10 sacks a year, and plays the run pretty well. I would love to keep him together with the rest of the d-line but not at a huge price. He hasn't done enough to deserve huge money. 

I think he's just going to play out his rookie contract unless he has a huge year next year, but I don't foresee him doing that as Brob will have all offseason to get completely healthy after the shooting and will be the work horse next year. He's another one people aren't going to be throwing big money at him so if we can keep him on a discounted rate, I wouldn't mind keeping him around. 

He is overpaid, but he's not a guy you can't have on the field. He can play, just not quite well enough for the money he's getting. I think if they can restructure or extend with more incentives than guarantees, that would be the way to go, we can't afford to get rid of any more corners. 

I've been losing sleep thinking about this since Sunday (well that and Sunday itself). I think there will be some teams willing to trade down, but if Rivera is still at the helm, is he really looking to start over with a project? 

Edited by Scott Land

17 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

Unfortunately, I don't think he would but would be ideal if he did. 

I'm 50/50 on this. I think he's tired of the BS but at the same time seems like he reciprocates the love to the teammates that they have to him, and I don't see many teams lining up to sign him, I think if he's available people would kick the tires on him but I could see it being a midseason thing if a team has their QB going down if he isn't already signed. 

I don't think he's going anywhere yet. I think the tag comes, but Jon Allen is going to be a big influence in keeping him in Washington for awhile (wishful thinking).

If Rivera is still here, I think Del Rio is still here. Rivera was asked in a presser if he saw the 3rd year jump like he's always talked about and he said he has (I have no idea how he's seen it because we sure haven't) and he'll keep everyone. 

IMO not at all. I think Kam is a dude and a game changer for us. Our defense really struggled this year in every game he didn't play, and was pretty good with him playing. You could say it was the competition but he's just so smart and he had to play in the box a ton this year with Holcomb out which is partially why he didn't have any INT's this year. I don't think he needs to get paid an astronomical amount, but they have to pay him and keep him and DFoe together. 

Montez is a tough one for me. He is what he is. He's going to get 6-10 sacks a year, and plays the run pretty well. I would love to keep him together with the rest of the d-line but not at a huge price. He hasn't done enough to deserve huge money. 

I think he's just going to play out his rookie contract unless he has a huge year next year, but I don't foresee him doing that as Brob will have all offseason to get completely healthy after the shooting and will be the work horse next year. He's another one people aren't going to be throwing big money at him so if we can keep him on a discounted rate, I wouldn't mind keeping him around. 

He is overpaid, but he's not a guy you can't have on the field. He can play, just not quite well enough for the money he's getting. I think if they can restructure or extend with more incentives than guarantees, that would be the way to go, we can't afford to get rid of any more corners. 

I've been losing sleep thinking about this since Sunday (well that and Sunday itself). I think there will be some teams willing to trade down, but if Rivera is still at the helm, is he really looking to start over with a project? 

Thanks for the well thought out response- Very good answers. 

• Like 1