Week 18 GDT LA Chargers @ Denver Broncos 2:25 MTN

broncosfan07

12 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well, it's 17-17 at halftime, and Chargers HC Staley decided to keep his starters in the entire 1H.  Which has backfired as Mike Williams and Joey Bosa suffered injuries late in the 2Q (Bosa is somewhat more understandable, because he just returned last week after missing almost the entire season - needs to get into game shape).

Our DL lack of depth, cover ILB, and the CB's against Allen with K'Waun Williams out (along with Mathis pre-game), no surprise.    It shows how much DL depth and cover ILB are a priority this offseason.   We'll get K'waun Williams and Mathis back, and adding a 4th CB depth wise is very do-able.  So nothing I see in the 1H worries me there.   It was nice to see Baron Browning flash again, too.   

With the Chargers playing their starters on D - not surprisingly, our pass game suffered until the very last 3 plays.    Our OL just stinks (yes, no Anderson either today, I get it, but we still stink).   And Russ missed a couple of clear reads early.   But moving him outside the pocket, and naturally he looks a lot better.     And again, while he only got the ball 2x, we see why Jeudy has become our biggest threat - his move on Khalil Mack to get the 1st down on the run, turned a 6 yard loss into a 13 yard run, and he toasted another CB getting open with Wilson finally making the connection.   Sutton's become the big body possession guy, nothing wrong with that, but he's going to struggle with good pass D's like LAC has.      Finally, my ONE real objection - there is just no way Chase Edmonds should be getting 5+ carries a half and Lat Murray sitting on the sideline.   Edmonds is a real threat in space but has ZERO inside running ability.  Those were wasted downs.   Outten gets a F there.  

For the 2H, I would hope we see Lat Murray get 10+ carries, and Jeudy get 5+ targets.   It's not rocket science, ppl.    Other than that - just no serious injuries to our core guys, please.

Jeudy finishes 5-154 & 39 rush yds

Lat Murray finished 16-104

DEN W.   And LAC didn't pull Herbert until it was 31-21, and we gave them the last TD with that fumble (typical).

We still have major problems with our OL - ideally 3 spots upgraded.   We still need a 3rd WR (but Hamler/Patrick are back).   We will definitely need more RB help (but again that's easy to find).

We still need a cover ILB and badly need DL depth.   And a 4th CB (but like RB that's easiest to find, we may already have it, unclear though).

And yes, Russell Wilson still has very real issues. 

But man, we have so much more hope with Hackett gone.     I don't know how all those ppl who kept saying "Hackett's not the biggest problem" - the last 2 weeks kinda show it in spades.   Hackett was a DISASTER - HACKOPALYPSE now.    I hope we never hear "Hackett isn't the real problem, Wilson is" take EVERY again.

It's really too bad Hackett wasn't fired at the bye - even if we lost to JAX to get that result, I'm convinced we'd have won the BAL/TEN game, and maybe even the LV game as well.    The total lack of preparation, and poor pre-game prep (not featuring Jeudy at the X, the OL decisions, the static Wilson pass calls), game management & personnel decisions (the OL replacements of Fleming over Anderson and Watteberg at G vs. KC that 1H, etc).    The change in our team's play with Hackett, Stukes and Barry's firing was astounding.

Make no mistake - I think it was dumb, but LAC played all out to win with all their guys until they were 10 pts down in the 4th....so this was a LEGIT W.    We break the AFCW losing streak.   Keep Evero at DC & Rosburg at ST, get the right OC with Harbaugh, and man, we've got REAL HOPE.   

As much of a nightmare as this 5-12 2022 season has been, the last 2 games fills me with so much more optimism.   Great way to kick off 2023, a Harbaugh signing (with no draft picks to get Sean Payton, hard pass) - thank you very much....

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Remember when everyone wanted to trade Jeudy? He’s our best WR 

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

That was lunacy the people saying trade him for a 2nd. He certainly has some  character question marks, but you can't deny his talent and ability to maneuver the field like none of our other receivers can.

I'll gladly stand at the top of the hill of the "Jeudy is our guy, don't trade him".     If anything, it shows that tape and metrics matter - he was ALWAYS getting open last year and this year. Yes, the drops were aggravating - but guess what?   Guys like Ceedee Lamb and Diontae Johnson had the same issue.    It shows the impatience that comes with high expectations - but also how dependent the WR's are to have their talent unlocked by the right QB/system.

Jeudy is going to be a freaking monster if they keep moving him around, and using him at the X/slot, and give him 8+ targets a game.   Health got in the way, but that's it.  Every poster who complained about his offseason incident and said he didn't care, he wasn't good at football - well, we can put that to rest.

The great part - this emergence came BEFORE the 5th year option decision came up.  It's a no-brainer, and now we can lock him up and have him as a staple.

Frankly, this game was a GREAT result for our HC search - because it showed what our O is capable of.  And knowing we had Gregory & Dre'mont and 3 of our top 4 CB's out, well it should make us a TON more appealing for a certain Michigan coach to want to come (and avoid paying more picks to get an established successful HC).  FINGERS CROSSED.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Frankly, this game was a GREAT result for our HC search - because it showed what our O is capable of.  And knowing we had Gregory & Dre'mont and 3 of our top 4 CB's out, well it should make us a TON more appealing for a certain Michigan coach to want to come (and avoid paying more picks to get an established successful HC).  FINGERS CROSSED.

I think it makes the job more appealing to every candidate, Brian Flores included😝

38 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'll gladly stand at the top of the hill of the "Jeudy is our guy, don't trade him".     If anything, it shows that tape and metrics matter - he was ALWAYS getting open last year and this year. Yes, the drops were aggravating - but guess what?   Guys like Ceedee Lamb and Diontae Johnson had the same issue.    It shows the impatience that comes with high expectations - but also how dependent the WR's are to have their talent unlocked by the right QB/system.

Jeudy is going to be a freaking monster if they keep moving him around, and using him at the X/slot, and give him 8+ targets a game.   Health got in the way, but that's it.  Every poster who complained about his offseason incident and said he didn't care, he wasn't good at football - well, we can put that to rest.

The great part - this emergence came BEFORE the 5th year option decision came up.  It's a no-brainer, and now we can lock him up and have him as a staple.

I described myself as Jerry Jeudy’s mob wife this season, so I’ll join you up there. I’m blindly loyal to that guy’s talent until the grave. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I described myself as Jerry Jeudy’s mob wife this season, so I’ll join you up there. I’m blindly loyal to that guy’s talent until the grave. 

Yeah, it was a lonely hill this past offseason and early part of the season, but that's why tape/metrics matter.   I'm just happy it bore out.

At KC and against a Chargers team that for whatever reason rested no one ahead of the playoffs (and got 3 starters hurt well into the late 2Q).   

Anyone who tries to say Hackett wasn’t by far our biggest problem, like 60+ percent or more, for the O - is delusional.   Russell Wilson still has real issues and OMG OL, OL, OL this offseason - but that talk should die now.  Mercifully.  

Impressed with the win, especially because LAC played their starters. Amazing how different this team has looked offensively in the 2 games since dumping Hackett. Imagine if it happened sooner. We might have been a playoff team. Alas, we'll see what the coaching search turns up and look forward to next year.

It was clear from the first game that Hackett was the main problem. If Paton had hired Quinn (and he had a competent OC designing the offence to suit Wilson's skillset) then this was likely a play-off team this year.

For the first time since the start of the season I am optimistic about where the team is going - and given the injuries that have mounted up Paton has to be given credit for the players that he has brought onto the roster (and the PS). 

I would prefer Harbaugh to Payton. The problem with giving up picks is obvious - but also Payton continuously kicked the can down the road and then walked away from the Saints. If the guy wanted to mortgage the future then he should have been prepared to engage in the rebuild. Remember - despite the mortgage - since winning the SB in 2009 the Saints only made the playoffs on 7 of the subsequent 12 seasons and only made the NFL championship game once. On top of that I still have a problem with the bounty scandal from a decade ago.

Edited by jolly red giant

20 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

It was clear from the first game that Hackett was the main problem. If Paton had hired Quinn (and he had a competent OC designing the offence to suit Wilson's skillset) then this was likely a play-off team this year.

For the first time since the start of the season I am optimistic about where the team is going - and given the injuries that have mounted up Paton has to be given credit for the players that he has brought onto the roster (and the PS). 

I would prefer Harbaugh to Payton. The problem with giving up picks is obvious - but also Payton continuously kicked the can down the road and then walked away from the Saints. If the guy wanted to mortgage the future then he should have been prepared to engage in the rebuild. Remember - despite the mortgage - since winning the SB in 2009 the Saints only made the playoffs on 7 of the subsequent 12 seasons and only made the NFL championship game once. On top of that I still have a problem with the bounty scandal from a decade ago.

With a competent coach and some better play, I think we would've won 4-5 more games, tbh. Seattle, Indy, LAC and Baltimore were absolutely winnable games that we blew in spectacular fashion. I'd argue a better gameplan in either the NYJ or TEN game could have tilted the scales there too given how close they were. Probably lose both Chiefs games so not gonna plan on a flip there. Regardless, I do think this is a much better team than the record shows, but at the same time you are what your record says you are.

I mean, Wilson had 16 passing yards with like 30 seconds left in the 1st half, so let's not go tooooooo crazy on the Offensive transformation.

That said - there was a massive difference in game trend yesterday vs the rest of the season. Our Offense (in general) was far better in the 1st half, and when Defense's made adjustments, they had no answer. Poor Coaching, poor playcalling.

Yesterday, the opposite happened. We were stagnant (through the air), and we adjusted and get better and better as the game went on. That in itself is encouraging.

• Like 2