James Houston- Pepsi Rookie of the Week

Louis Friend

This is well deserved recognition.  It will be interesting to see what the ceiling for James Houston will be.  He has only been playing since week 12.  Clearly, he has pass-rush skills and could be the type of player who would be a good  "mobile QB spy".  He could also be the type of player that could erase screen passes.  I am looking forward to seeing what happens.

• Like 1

His stat line is funny.  He has 1 tackle this year that isnt a sack according to PFF (2 solo and 1 assisted per ESPN). Also I didn't realize that PFF didnt include sacks in tackle numbers which is odd.  He does have the second highest grade on PFF on the team for the season behind only ARSB (the #2 WR behind JJ).   

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

His stat line is funny.  He has 1 tackle this year that isnt a sack according to PFF (2 solo and 1 assisted per ESPN). Also I didn't realize that PFF didnt include sacks in tackle numbers which is odd.  He does have the second highest grade on PFF on the team for the season behind only ARSB (the #2 WR behind JJ).   

I think the strip he had on Justin Fields was a regular tackle rather than a sack.  A lot of people reference PFF but sometimes their scores don't accurately the performance of a player.  At least it seems that way to me.  The best case scenario is if he develops into something close to Hassan Reddick.

Edited by Just Want A Title

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

I think the strip he had on Justin Fields was a regular tackle rather than a sack.  A lot of people reference PFF but sometimes their scores don't accurately the performance of a player.  At least it seems that way to me.  The best case scenario is if he develops into something close to Hassan Reddick.

PFF definitely isnt an end all be all but its something to add into the evaluation of a player with stats and eye test.  Houston's stats per the number of snaps/games he has played sounds about right.  He isnt an every down DE, he comes in for rush downs and he performs well on those downs.  Thats what PFF's grade tells me.  We don't know how he will be if pushed into an every down role but as far as what he is asked to do now, he is doing great. 

11 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

The only unfortunate thing about James Houston is we cut him and put him on the practice squad. He's only on a two year contract instead of a four year rookie deal.

We will get an ERFA year though and then an RFA year. So still should have him for a few years on reasonable contracts.