Jadeveon Clowney won’t return in 2023

candyman93

I took two things from this interview (not mutually exclusive):

1. He's a confident, cocky, self-centered dude who is probably over inflating his worth/abilities at this point in his career

2. He's as frustrated by Joe Woods & staff's inability to properly scheme defense as I am

Would have liked to bring him back on a cheap deal, but what everyone is saying is correct, Clowney gets paid more than he's worth. He does things well that don't show up on the stat sheet, but getting a couple sacks a year isn't going to cut it. Especially when Garrett is constantly getting double teamed.

Oh well, DE will just became an even bigger need. Really hope one of our young DEs really steps up next season.

6 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

2. He's as frustrated by Joe Woods & staff's inability to properly scheme defense as I am

I get this, sure, but he could have just said nothing for 4 more days, played the last game and then waited to see if this defensive staff would be back.

Also, as I mentioned before, the comments came after a game where the scheme actually worked, the defense played well and we won. The timing is not unimportant imo.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get this, sure, but he could have just said nothing for 4 more days, played the last game and then waited to see if this defensive staff would be back.

Also, as I mentioned before, the comments came after a game where the scheme actually worked, the defense played well and we won. The timing is not unimportant imo.

He certainly should have kept his cakehole shut, no question about that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dawgdish said:

I took two things from this interview (not mutually exclusive):

1. He's a confident, cocky, self-centered dude who is probably over inflating his worth/abilities at this point in his career

1. We already knew this

2. This is bs by Clowney, there is no way he shouldn’t be eating opposite of Myles. Scheme schmeme, win your one on one opportunities then you can talk

3. give me a Paul Krueger type, and some young guys with juice to replace him and move on

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

In a different universe, we took Sam Hubbard over Chad Thomas, and he is the perfect complementary end to Garrett. 

I am OK with him walking. He has flashed at times, but his consistency and health hasn’t been there this year to match the paycheck. Bring in somebody who is going to be available and play their role. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

In a different universe, we took Sam Hubbard over Chad Thomas, and he is the perfect complementary end to Garrett. 

I am OK with him walking. He has flashed at times, but his consistency and health hasn’t been there this year to match the paycheck. Bring in somebody who is going to be available and play their role. 

I wouldnt discount Alex Wright. He had a sneaky good season with a lot of splash plays for a 3rd round DE. Hes my leader in the clubhouse right now for young players making a big leap next year with more PT. Seems like Berry crushed it in the 3rd round with Emerson (bye Greedy) and Wright.

4 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Alex Wright hasn't looked terrible in his times in, would he prevent me from getting someone else to play there no, but at least when he is in he looks like he's going all out 

Wright has looked solid but perhaps better against the run than pass.  I’d tell him to eat up this off-season, hit the gym and hope he can come back 280+ and just be a big arse edge setting base end.  If he does that and sneaks in a sack or two that’s identical to what Clowney provides.

Just snag a guy with some twitch as a DPR.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Alex Wright hasn't looked terrible in his times in, would he prevent me from getting someone else to play there no, but at least when he is in he looks like he's going all out 

I'm still trying to improve if I have the opportunity, we need DUDES

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

1. We already knew this

2. This is bs by Clowney, there is no way he shouldn’t be eating opposite of Myles. Scheme schmeme, win your one on one opportunities then you can talk

3. give me a Paul Krueger type, and some young guys with juice to replace him and move on

This is why I prefaced by saying multiple things can be true at the same time. Clowney can be self-centered and having a meh season, but our defensive scheme can (and does) still suck. Difference is, we're fans on a message board and the optics of us complaining about it is different than a player doing so to the media.

Not defending Clowney by any stretch - I want him gone, but not going to whistle past the dysfunction in the coaching staff on that side of the ball that this gives a first hand peek in to either just because of who said it and the way they said it. Sure does seem idiotic, if true, for instance that leading up to a game they planned and practiced one way all week and flipped it right before the game. Selfishness on his part aside, wouldn't you practice what you planned to do throughout the week? 

Edited by dawgdish

1 hour ago, dawgdish said:

Sure does seem idiotic, if true, for instance that leading up to a game they planned and practiced one way all week and flipped it right before the game. Selfishness on his part aside, wouldn't you practice what you planned to do throughout the week? 

I get it, its a double edged sword, like what if the change was and actual adjustment that may have been advantageous to the whole defense. What if it worked? I personally need specifics because we can then figure if its Clowney just mad he didn't get his stats or Woods going rogue 

• Like 1