NFL announces scenarios for a neutral site AFC Championship

TheRealMcCoy

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

There is a two week gap between the Championship Games and the SB. The NFL has had Covid protocols already in place if games due to covid were postponed. 

If both the Bills and Bengal are supposedly good enough to play separate games "This Weekend". There was no reason the NFL season couldn't of been pushed back 1 week, allowing the postponed game to continue between the two. 

I know the argument would then be, why should the rest of the NFL get a Bye while Cin/Buffalo played? My counter is why should the rest of the AFC suffer through this supposed fix?

I was big on pushing back but it didn’t happen. Where is all the suffering the rest of the AFC has?

1 hour ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

They probably gotta make sure they have one set aside before they announce but I keep hearing Indianapolis.

Makes a lot of sense. AFC Stadium, high quality, familiar given it's combine history and the Colts not being in the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BillSabre said:

I was big on pushing back but it didn’t happen. Where is all the suffering the rest of the AFC has?

Not having the top 3 seeds decided on the field.  Changing AFCCG locations? Who might or might not get the AFCN?

The NFL's solution?

5 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

This all day.  So I'll take it another step.  If the 0-2 potential is there and a coin flip is used, how does anyone not justify coin flips when the Chiefs play either Cincy or Buffalo?  Conversely with Baltimore, why ais being 2-0 in the games against Cincy matter so much more than the 11-3 Bengals record and the Ravens 9-6 record in all other games.  Is the league offices really punishing the Bengals as part of the Hamlin crisis?

The coin flip only comes into play if the game not played could’ve affected the HFA. If Cincinnati wins this weekend, there will be no coin flip. It’s only if they lose and play the Ravens again because there could’ve been a chance the the Ravens could’ve won the division.  

This helps ensure Kansas City isn't automatically awarded HFA when Buffalo did not have an equal chance Both teams at 14-3, same number of games played, Buffalo is the #1 seed due to tie breaker. Having the AFCCG played at a neutral site (IF Kansas City and Buffalo are within half a game) is the correct thing to do.

It should also be a cold weather neutral site, not a dome, since Buffalo and KC would have been cold. East coast or mid-west. 

Maybe Browns or Panthers stadiums. New York would be too close to Buffalo, Tennessee is too close to Kansas City. 

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Not having the top 3 seeds decided on the field.  Changing AFCCG locations? Who might or might not get the AFCN?

The NFL's solution?

You mean the three teams most affected by the game not being played? I’d hardly call that the rest of the AFC but alright. Again, I’d much rather have had the extra week and played everything out. They didn’t want to do that and affect not only the AFC but the NFC playoffs. I still believe that was the route the NFL should’ve gone myself. 

Edited by BillSabre
Spelling

1 minute ago, BillSabre said:

The coin flip only comes into play if the game not played could’ve affected the HFA. If Cincinnati wins this weekend, there will be no coin flip. It’s only if they lose and play the Ravens again because there could’ve been a chance the the Ravens could’ve won the division.  

I kmnow that.  But you aren't addressing the rest of it because it's the crux of the issue.  Why wouldn't the Bills Bengals game get a coin flip then?  Baltimore is still 1.5 games back at the moment.  Why wouldn't KC have to have a coin flip with Buffalo?  They are a half game apart.  Why wouldn't Bengals/Bills be a coin flip in the divisional round if they match up?  

3 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I kmnow that.  But you aren't addressing the rest of it because it's the crux of the issue.  Why wouldn't the Bills Bengals game get a coin flip then?  Baltimore is still 1.5 games back at the moment.  Why wouldn't KC have to have a coin flip with Buffalo?  They are a half game apart.  Why wouldn't Bengals/Bills be a coin flip in the divisional round if they match up?  

Because they each played a 16 game schedule. 

They should just call Bills-Bengals a tie, but if the neutral site option is used it should be Cleveland. They are a city that will accept any postseason football above the high school level staged at First Energy Stadium at this point.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Bengals would be crowned division champs, regardless of coin toss. So they may not get the home game in the playoffs, but they do get the lower draft position, the privilege of playing a first place schedule next year and uh... baseball caps and t-shirts!

Bengals should be angered by this proposal, TBH. They deserve better for how they handled all of this.

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

Yeah. It seems like the Bengals are the ones that got absolutely hosed in this. 

The Bengals were gifted not having to play the toughest game on their schedule, and instead of possibly being a wild card are the 3 seed at lowest. 

Also granted almost a full bye week in week 17.