OL Talk

nicfre2011

I didn't see a topic for discussion of OL draft prospects. Share your rankings and grades, and film breakdowns.  As a Chiefs fan, I am interested in prospects that project to either LT and RT. Alot will depend on what we do with Orlando Brown, so there is the possibility we will be looking at addressing LT and/or RT (if we want to upgrade from Andrew Wylie).

Really, really stacked OL class across the board IMO.

Paris Johnson is the best, IMO, and it's not really that close.  He's got everything.  Georgia's Broderick Jones is up there too, but he's shorter than you like.  I don't know if it'll be a problem for him really, because he's faced a ton of outstanding pass rushers and shut them down, but even so, measurables will be important for him post-season.  Darnell Wright from Tennessee is underrated, huge and hasn't surrendered a sack playing right tackle.  Anton Harrison out of Oklahoma is another stud.  All those guys should be first rounders.

I'm not as sold on Skoronski.  Did not like what I saw of him enough to really call him a first rounder, but I'm gonna return to him later.  Hayes out of Michigan is good too, but I need to see more of him.  Freeland from BYU is second tier IMO too.  Dawand Jones is huge, and will probably test well, but needs a lot of polishing.  Jaelyn Duncan, out of Maryland, still has hype, but I don't know why.  Day 3 prospect.

Then the IOLs are great too.  Patterson out of ND, Wypler from Ohio St, and Forsythe from USC are the top of the class IMO, of what I've seen.  Torrance from Florida is good, but has some stinker snaps.  Not as consistent as you want from a guard that you sink a first rounder into.  I've been on the Olusegun Oluwatimi bandwagon for a while, but people are starting to catch on to him.  He was the most underrated OL in the class, but I think he's finally getting the respect he deserves.

On 1/6/2023 at 8:24 AM, Daniel said:

Really, really stacked OL class across the board IMO.

Paris Johnson is the best, IMO, and it's not really that close.  He's got everything.  Georgia's Broderick Jones is up there too, but he's shorter than you like.  I don't know if it'll be a problem for him really, because he's faced a ton of outstanding pass rushers and shut them down, but even so, measurables will be important for him post-season.  Darnell Wright from Tennessee is underrated, huge and hasn't surrendered a sack playing right tackle.  Anton Harrison out of Oklahoma is another stud.  All those guys should be first rounders.

I'm not as sold on Skoronski.  Did not like what I saw of him enough to really call him a first rounder, but I'm gonna return to him later.  Hayes out of Michigan is good too, but I need to see more of him.  Freeland from BYU is second tier IMO too.  Dawand Jones is huge, and will probably test well, but needs a lot of polishing.  Jaelyn Duncan, out of Maryland, still has hype, but I don't know why.  Day 3 prospect.

Then the IOLs are great too.  Patterson out of ND, Wypler from Ohio St, and Forsythe from USC are the top of the class IMO, of what I've seen.  Torrance from Florida is good, but has some stinker snaps.  Not as consistent as you want from a guard that you sink a first rounder into.  I've been on the Olusegun Oluwatimi bandwagon for a while, but people are starting to catch on to him.  He was the most underrated OL in the class, but I think he's finally getting the respect he deserves.

Wypler I like but for 2024, he has not declared for the draft has he?   No way in hell is he better than John Michael Schmitz or Olusegun Oluwatimi.  I have Oluwatimi going 1st round and Schmitz could as well both late 1st round but if not both will be gone by early 2nd round.  Both are better than Forsythe easily as well, I have him as more of a mid round center, and Vorhees I really like his athletic ability as a guard, he is super athletic for the position.

Also Broderick Jones has not declare for the draft either has he?  

Jarrett Patterson is arguably the best OL overall, he can play C, OG or OT.  The dude is outstanding and could be a great pro.  Paris Johnson is good but his teammate Jones has way more upside.  Darnell Wright should easily be a 1st round pick and anyone that does not have him in the 1st round is making a mistake.  

Raiqwon O'Neal could be a 1st round pick and Alex Palczewski should be a solid 2nd or 3rd rounder along with Braeden Daniels.  Asim Richards teams will like as a pass protecting LT and John Ojukwu has potential at RT or OG, and I like Carter Warren's upside as well. Cody Mauch could be a mid to late round sleeper, he is a powerful guard that plays aggressively.  

The 2024 class of OTs is better I feel than this group though, this group is decent but not a lot of high end tackles like 2024 where there are arguably 7-8 guys who could be 1st rounders if they keep developing.

(Class next year)

Joe Alt Notre Dame JR
Olumuyiwa Fashanu Penn State RS JR 
Patrick Paul Houston RS JR
Broderick Jones Georgia RS JR
Brandon Coleman TCU RS SR
Robert Scott Jr Florida State RS JR
Mason Richman Iowa RS JR
Caleb Etienne Oklahoma State RS SR
Aireontae Ersery Minnesota RS JR
Jeremy James Ole Miss RS SR
Marques Cox Kentucky RS SR
Andrew Coker TCU RS SR

Granted some of these guys might declare for the draft, Alt cannot though, Fashanu said he was returning to Penn State, Paul returning to Houston and Scott returning to FSU.  

• Like 2

I like Skoronski, Matt Bergeron, Jordan McFadden, Cody Mauch, and Beebe at OG (in the NFL).

I think Blake Freeland could be a solid to good RT, but don't love him at LT.

I like Oluwatimi as a potential above average C, and think Stromberg could be solid, but unspectacular there. Read good things about Schmitz/Wypler/Van Pran/Joe Tippmann but haven't watched them.

Only guys I like at LT are Paris and Anton so far.
Don't know if it was Wanya Morris playing RT for Oklahoma this year, but I thought their RT looked good as well when I was watching Anton, for different reasons. Guy was playing with a mean streak and physicality compared to Anton's more technical brilliance, balance, and light feet.

Edited by Jeezla

3 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I like Skoronski, Matt Bergeron, Jordan McFadden, Cody Mauch, and Beebe at OG (in the NFL).

I like Oluwatimi as a potential above average C, and think Stromberg could be solid, but unspectacular there. Read good things about Schmitz/Wypler/Van Pran/Joe Tippmann but haven't watched them.

Don't know if it was Wanya Morris playing RT for Oklahoma this year, but I thought their RT looked good as well when I was watching Anton, for different reasons. Guy was playing with a mean streak and physicality compared to Anton's more technical brilliance, balance, and light feet.

Beebe is returning to school

8 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I agree Skoronski could easily become a OG in the NFL but a team will want him at RT most likely but we will see.  Beebe is returning to Kansas State so he is not in the draft.  Stromberg I agree is one of th ebetter centers potentially.  I have Wypler and Van Pran returning to school until told otherwise.  Mauch I think could be an awesome guard and is a tough guy, he will be a sleeper.  

Wanya Morris was elite on Tennessee and showed tons of potential as a young player, has been up and down on Oklahoma and hurt and or not always out there the past two seasons.  He could be a decent late round draft pick potentially.  

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

The 2024 class of OTs is better I feel than this group though, this group is decent but not a lot of high end tackles like 2024 where there are arguably 7-8 guys who could be 1st rounders if they keep developing.

(Class next year)

Joe Alt Notre Dame JR
Olumuyiwa Fashanu Penn State RS JR 
Patrick Paul Houston RS JR
Broderick Jones Georgia RS JR
Brandon Coleman TCU RS SR
Robert Scott Jr Florida State RS JR
Mason Richman Iowa RS JR
Caleb Etienne Oklahoma State RS SR
Aireontae Ersery Minnesota RS JR
Jeremy James Ole Miss RS SR
Marques Cox Kentucky RS SR
Andrew Coker TCU RS SR

Granted some of these guys might declare for the draft, Alt cannot though, Fashanu said he was returning to Penn State, Paul returning to Houston and Scott returning to FSU.  

Is Joe Alt kin to the former Chief John Alt?