OL Talk

nicfre2011

11 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I like Darrell Wright Tenn at RT.  I am guessing he will be a 3rd rounder.  I think he could be a very good RT in the league for a team that likes to run the ball.

The Volunteers were a pass oriented offense, right? The reason for asking is I am wondering how he could project to the Chiefs offense as a RT. Andrew Wylie is an admirable fill-in but not someone you want starting all year in that offense. Lucas Niag just can't be counted on at this point and Darian Kinnard is a question mark as well. I would love to see Niang turn the corner and take over as a quality + RT, but we haven't seen much to think that will happen.

Projecting on Tenn offense is tough.  It is so gimmicky that it hides things that will come out in the NFL.   By this I mean that they move so fast it does not allow the defense to pick on his lateral movement.  Defenses rarely attack Tennessee because the offense was so fast.  That is not happening in the NFL.

Even in the Georgia game he is not challenged on the edge where he has to get back and set.  He gets caught several time being very lax in his pass set and gets bullrushed  back. 

Wright has the size to be a decent RT in the NFL.  His lateral movement skills could be challenged.  He is not a day 1 starter.  Need some work on his punch and his bend.  He is a roadgrader on the run game but has trouble when he is asked to block someone while moving.  Not moving to the 2nd level but when asked to pull.

Edited by jebrick

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I like Darrell Wright Tenn at RT.  I am guessing he will be a 3rd rounder.  I think he could be a very good RT in the league for a team that likes to run the ball.

I see no reason why he is not a 1st rounder, especially with the massive OT need in the NFL.  Worst case he falls to the 2nd but I would be very surprised to see him fall to the 3rd.  He should be the 3rd or 4th best OT in the draft.  

2 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

Is Joe Alt kin to the former Chief John Alt?

Yes he is.  

I’m a Tennessee fan, so of course I’m biased, but I think Darnell is a first rounder all day. He’s given up zero sacks, and while the Vols offense is super gimmicky and does give a lot of help, no sacks from Ojulari, Anderson, or any other SEC edge is a feat.

He’s got prototype size for a RT and was a 5 star prospect and a four year starter. Dude can play, and I have him under Johnson, Jones, and Harrison, but still a firm first.

36 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I like him quite a bit.  I think he's the type who will go in the 2nd, maybe early 3rd, and turn into a solid pro.  Not All-Pro caliber, but definitely long-term starter.

Do you seeing him being able to stay at LT in the NFL or projecting better at RT?

54 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I'm in the minority but I want RT Darnell Wright playing Guard. Reminds me of former Steelers Ramon Foster.

Maybe in terms of body style, but I think Wright is a lot more physical than the Big Ragu was. Foster looked like a powerhouse but he didn't really play that way. He was super technical. Wright would be lucky to be as successful as Foster was. I'd give him a shot at OT first, though. Which, IIRC, Foster was given before settling at LG. 

• Like 1

Jarrett Patterson is the best overall OL in the draft, no other prospect could literally play OT, OG or C.  Not sure the exact numbers for his entire career but in August 2022 he had 1306 pass blocking snaps with ZERO sacks allowed.  then this past year out of 748 snaps total for the Irish at OG, he did not give up a sack either.  

"1,306 pass block snaps ZERO sacks allowed"  That was posted Aug 22 2022, and this past year he did not allow any sacks either out of 748 total snaps played which includes both running and pass plays for total snaps, and he did miss a game or two this year I believe.  

Either way the dude is crazy in terms of his production and not allowing sacks.  Could argue it would be hard to find any OL period at any position with those types of numbers that has never allowed a sack.  Honestly giving up only one sack in a season or two is very very good.   My guess is he plays OT or OG in the NFL but still that type of versatility is totally unmatched and to me he is the best OL in the up coming draft and obviously the most versatile.