OL Talk

nicfre2011

19 hours ago, armsteeld said:

I'm in the minority but I want RT Darnell Wright playing Guard. Reminds me of former Steelers Ramon Foster.

A lot of OTs would do well sliding inside.  But guards are also a lot easier to find than tackles, so I'll be shocked if someone takes him as a guard without trying him at tackle first.

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Jarrett Patterson is the best overall OL in the draft, no other prospect could literally play OT, OG or C.  Not sure the exact numbers for his entire career but in August 2022 he had 1306 pass blocking snaps with ZERO sacks allowed.  then this past year out of 748 snaps total for the Irish at OG, he did not give up a sack either.  

Patterson is my top IOL.  Have him rated higher than Linderbaum last year.  That whole OL at ND is beastly, and he's the best one.

I think this is an underrated center class.  Wypler and Olusegun are stud centers too, as is Forsythe.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

A lot of OTs would do well sliding inside.  But guards are also a lot easier to find than tackles, so I'll be shocked if someone takes him as a guard without trying him at tackle first.

Patterson is my top IOL.  Have him rated higher than Linderbaum last year.  That whole OL at ND is beastly, and he's the best one.

I think this is an underrated center class.  Wypler and Olusegun are stud centers too, as is Forsythe.

The center class is really outstanding.  All these guys can really play honestly and one could get good value because of course a few will fall a bit because not a ton of teams need a center.  I think Minnesota better grab one and replace Bradbury asap, they should do so in the 1st round unless a top corner falls who can play the slot.  

Jarrett Patterson Notre Dame RS SR
Olusegun Oluwatimi Michigan SR
John Michael Schmitz Minnesota RS SR
Luke Wypler Ohio State RS SOPH
Ricky Stromberg Arkansas SR
Alex Forsyth Oregon SR

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Really like Van Pran as well. Really good Center class. 

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Jags going to steal O’Cyrus Torrence in the late 20’s.

See, I think Torrence is a little overrated.  He's a very good guard, but there are a lot of guys I think are better.  He had too many snaps getting beat by JAG defensive tackles to be a first rounder at guard IMO.

4 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

Really like Van Pran as well. Really good Center class. 

Just got done watching some Van Pran tape.  Like him as a later pick, don't like him above any of the other top C prospects.  Watching him against Oregon, I think he's a somewhat limited athlete, and I didn't like how often he didn't pick up blitzers in his area.  You have your blocking assignment, but if a blitzing linebacker blows right by you while all you do is throw a shoulder at the guy the RG is already blocking, and your QB gets hit as a result, it's not a good look IMO.

You have Van Pran as the limited athlete at center this year? I disagree with that, and would suggest he is the arguably the most athletic with maybe Wypler being a contender and an athletic tier past like Patterson easily and multiple athletic tiers past someone like John Michael Schmitz. All four are good, but Van Pran's ability to be in the conversation is because of his athletic ability imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

You have Van Pran as the limited athlete at center this year? I disagree with that, and would suggest he is the arguably the most athletic with maybe Wypler being a contender and an athletic tier past like Patterson easily and multiple athletic tiers past someone like John Michael Schmitz. All four are good, but Van Pran's ability to be in the conversation is because of his athletic ability imo.

Possibly.  That kind of stuff is hard to tell just from tape, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case.  I was watching him against Oregon.

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Possibly.  That kind of stuff is hard to tell just from tape, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case.  I was watching him against Oregon.

I agree he looks to pick up the wrong guy and doesn't come across as refined, but Van Pran pulls really well and is frequently shooting up to the LB level. The rushing TD that put Georgia 28 to 34, Van Pran chipped the nose and immediately hit the second level and sealed #33 the linebacker out of the play, who would have been the one able to stop the outside run from picking up the TD. He's also replaced in the 4th quarter. Before he was replaced I noticed some plays where he is just kinda there at the LOS and lets a guy shoot past, the play is a screen and some of those are designed to let that guy go and you can't advance until the ball is released otherwise it's a penalty. Against Alabama you see him on the move on pulls and reaching the second level more if I remember right. I don't think he's like first / second round, but he's athletic and should be taken by an outside zone team pretty early day three I would think, maybe late second day if the class shakes out that way.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 2

Yeah Van Pran seems pretty athletic to me as well. Good on the initial block, good to get to the 2nd level, good feet, good in space and finishes his blocks. 
Still pretty young (only 21). Sure he could improve a bit on hand placement and technique in general but I feel like with good coaching he could become a top 5 center in the NFL. I would totally pick him late 1st/early 2nd. 

With the addition of Broderick Jones that greatly helps the OT group and gives a legit LT option.  Maybe it is just me though but I view him as the best LT potentially in the draft now.  Paris Johnson I view more as a guard but who knows what happens and O'Neal I view more as a RT.  Wypler addition also adds a lot to the depth of the group overall.  I still say in terms of elite OT depth 2024 should be a better class than this year but this year has a decent amount of guys who could become good players but more than a few might switch positions in the NFL.  

LT
Broderick Jones Georgia RS SOPH
Paris Johnson Jr Ohio State JR
Raiqwon O'Neal UCLA RS
Braeden Daniels Utah RS JR
Asim Richards UNC
Tyler Steen Alabama RS
Jordan McFadden Clemson RS

RT
Broderick Jones Georgia RS SOPH
Peter Skoronski Northwestern JR
Dawand Jones Ohio State
Jarrett Patterson Notre Dame RS
Darnell Wright Tennessee
Raiqwon O'Neal UCLA RS
Braeden Daniels Utah RS JR
Alex Palczewski Illinois
John Ojukwu Boise State RS
Carter Warren Pitt RS
Jaelyn Duncan Maryland RS

OG
Peter Skoronski Northwestern JR
Paris Johnson Jr Ohio State JR
Darnell Wright Tennessee
O'Cyrus Torrence Florida
Andrew Vorhees USC
Alex Palczewski Illinois
John Ojukwu Boise State RS
Jaelyn Duncan Maryland RS
Emil Ekiyor Jr Alabama RS
Cody Mauch NDSU
Nick Broeker Ole Miss
KT Leveston Kansas State RS
Jon Gaines UCLA RS

C
Olusegun Oluwatimi Michigan
John Michael Schmitz Minnesota RS
Luke Wypler Ohio State RS SOPH
Ricky Stromberg Arkansas
Alex Forsyth Oregon
Juice Scruggs Penn State RS

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

With the addition of Broderick Jones that greatly helps the OT group and gives a legit LT option.  Maybe it is just me though but I view him as the best LT potentially in the draft now.  

I view Broderick like I did Cross last year.  Maybe not the best OL prospect, but definitely the best pure LT prospect.