2K22: AFC Championship Game vs Cincinnati

onejayhawk

Short notes:
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/afc_notes_broncos_chargers_chiefs_patrick_mahomes/s1_17039_38395181

• Over The Cap’s Nick Korte released his compensatory pick projections, which historically have been incredibly accurate, even more than the official NFL release at times. He projects the Chiefs to receive two sixths and a seventh-round pick for the loss of WR Byron Pringle, DT Jarran Reed and CB Mike Hughes.
  • Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes said he is “doing good” after suffering a high-ankle sprain and that he feels the injury is comparable to when he played through an ankle injury in 2019. (Matt Derrick) He looked better in practice than before the SB
  • Mahomes added that the toe injury he played through in 2020 was the “worst injury” he’s played through. Turf to has a reputation.
  • Chiefs HC Andy Reid said he may have to hold back Mahomes in practice this week: “I might have to pull him back a little.” (Nate Taylor)
  • Reid added their entire roster is set to practice on Wednesday: “No injuries to talk about, everybody’s going to practice today.” (Derrick)
  • Reid also said RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle) and TE Jody Fortson (Achilles) could return this week but Fortson has the “better chance” to play. (Derrick)
  • Kansas City listed Mahomes as a full participant in practice on Wednesday, just four days after his initial injury. 

I'm not sure we have the better roster.   The Bengals are very well balanced and deep team.  

Our DL and OL need to bring their A game in this matchup.   

Interested to see how Spags uses the versatility of Snead and McDuffie in this one,   I think that is one of the bigger changes since we've last met up.

OL is definitely their weak spot,   mainly due to injuries at this point.. but aside from OL they are VERY strong across the board.  

Would not say we have a better roster emphatically.    It could be debated,   but outside of QB/TE/OL/CB.   I'm not sure you couldn't make a solid debate for choosing Cinci's position groups.    

Edited by RedGold

Odd this popped up this morning;   Not that CBS is that great.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-afc-championship-bengals-vs-chiefs-position-by-position-advantages-who-has-the-edge/

QB - Push             (Close,  I'd pick Chiefs obviously)
RB - Push              (Agreed)
WR - Bengals         (Agreed)
TE - Chiefs             (Agreed)
OL - Chiefs             (Agreed)
DT - Chiefs             (Would group DL together and call it a push personally)
Edge - Bengals
LB - Bengals          (Agreed,  slightly)
CB -  Chiefs            (Agreed) 
S - Push                  (Cinci imo)
ST's - Push             (This was just kickers).   I'd give an edge to Cinci on ST's at this point
Coaching - Chiefs 

5 KC,   4 Cinci for me.    With coaching being the breaker.  

I do think on paper we're probably a better roster, and some key matchups favor us, the trouble is, in the three games we have played against them recently, those matchups haven't gone the way they seem like they should. Like the trenches should theoretically be a win for us. Their DL is good but our OL is talented enough they should be able to stand up against them. Their OL is still a problem and our DL should be able to dominate that. Yet in the last two matchups, we've sacked Burrow twice, while they've sacked Mahomes six times. Hubbard and Hendrickson were a huge problem in the playoffs last year, while neither Jones or Clark even got a hit on Burrow. So on paper, sure, OL favors us, interior DL favors us, but that's not what is actually being put on the field when the two teams meet, as of late. The guys in the trenches have to play up to their names this weekend.

And FWIW, the same happened to Buffalo last week. Cincy's OL played way over their heads, and honestly dominated a DL that should be way more talented, even without Von.

• Like 1

I apologize if it made it seem like I think the Bengals are definitely a better team on paper.  I said at the start of the year this is my favorite roster in years.    Just thought it was kind of outrageous to definitely say ours is better,  the Bengals are a very well put together team and it’s very even.    

I am actually picking us to win this one, but the Bengals are more than solid in all phases.     
From a year to year cap perspective, or roster building..  it’s truly impressive we are in this spot,  as this was a retooling year and puts us in an even better position in the coming years. 

• Like 1