Season over?

TL-TwoWinsAway

If you read news sources, you'd have to think so.  And I think that's ridiculous.

Had we lost the first game against the Vikings, but beat them yesterday, news outlets would call it a 'huge' win that gave the Lions hope in the playoff race.  Instead, it's all doom and gloom, and the Lions are all but eliminated.

The three teams most likely vying for the 6th playoff spot are the Seahawks, Falcons and Lions.  Both the Seahawks and Falcons are sitting at 6-4, and the Falcons have a win against the Lions this year.

But the Falcons still have to play the Vikings, the Saints and Bucs twice, and a showdown with the Panthers.  Not an easy schedule, and it's not hard to find three losses out of that group.

The Seahawks may have an easier schedule, but still face the Eagles, Rams, Cowboys and Jaguars before finishing with the Cardinals.  Again, three losses out of that group isn't crazy, and two may leave them tied with us.  I like our chances on the divisional win/loss records.

Our lineup of the Bears and Packers at home, with games against the Bucs, Ravens and Bengals, is unquestionably the easiest of the group.  Finishing 4-1 or even 5-0 could put us as frontrunners for the 6th seed.

Doom and gloom?  Nah.  I think we're in great shape.

Aaron Rogers out, the Bears are terrible and the Vikings are starting their 3rd string QB for over 8 games. If you can't win the division with a relatively healthy team you are a horrible head coach. Which Caldwell is. We NEED a coaching change. Austin is going to get that head coaching job this year then what does Caldwell bring to the table?  Even if we back into the playoffs we are not a good team.

Only way Caldwell should keep his job is win division or a playoff game. I don't see either happening. 

I will go on the record and say I want Macdaniels. 

It's doom...sorry

Gotta think the Vikings really don't need to win..

Our D is not good and maybe lost a safety with zero pass rush

Stafford is going to continue getting his *** kicked. I don't think he makes it at this pace. 

So many other reason other than just looking at the schedule....look at our coach who just can't manage a game correctly to save his life. He does the same thing to this team since he's been here. Stafford can't do everything...

1 hour ago, Millenhater said:

Aaron Rogers out, the Bears are terrible and the Vikings are starting their 3rd string QB for over 8 games. If you can't win the division with a relatively healthy team you are a horrible head coach. Which Caldwell is. We NEED a coaching change. Austin is going to get that head coaching job this year then what does Caldwell bring to the table?  Even if we back into the playoffs we are not a good team.

Only way Caldwell should keep his job is win division or a playoff game. I don't see either happening. 

Can we stop pretending Keenum is playing like a 3rd string QB? There's a reason their top QB is now a backup.

Caldwell just signed an extension. He's not going anywhere.

1 hour ago, Millenhater said:

Relatively healthy team?

Stafford has been banged up more than once but has played through his injuries. We haven't played a full game with our starting OL. Abdullah and Riddick have played injured. Golden Tate has been banged up. We lost Ngata for the season. Ansah has missed time. Our starting MLB has missed 4 games. Our sack leader from last season has missed all of this season. Just because our starting QB is playing injured and not sitting does not mean that we've been "relatively healthy". 

We are not getting a coaching change. Caldwell just signed an extension, is the winningest coach for the Lions in the modern era and has made the playoffs in 2 out of 3 seasons thus far. But good to know you want McDaniels. LMAO

6 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Relatively healthy team?

Stafford has been banged up more than once but has played through his injuries. We haven't played a full game with our starting OL. Abdullah and Riddick have played injured. Golden Tate has been banged up. We lost Ngata for the season. Ansah has missed time. Our starting MLB has missed 4 games. Our sack leader from last season has missed all of this season. Just because our starting QB is playing injured and not sitting does not mean that we've been "relatively healthy". 

We are not getting a coaching change. Caldwell just signed an extension, is the winningest coach for the Lions in the modern era and has made the playoffs in 2 out of 3 seasons thus far. But good to know you want McDaniels. LMAO

Caldwell is not an innovator and he's not going to take us to the promised land. Macdaniels is a roll of the dice but I'd rather take a swing then stand there with the bat on my shoulder. Caldwell sucks at game management and he's not a play caller. He's a modern day Wayne fontes. Barely makes the playoffs but nothing else. I don't want to waste the prime years we have with Stafford on Jim Caldwell. 

5 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Zenner getting Abdullah's snaps might go a long way imo.

I’m inclined to agree. At this point I’m done with Abdullah. If he gets some space he can make a few plays but he goes down pretty easily and needs big holes to do anything. He’s not anywhere near as polished in the pass game as Riddick and has ball security issues to boot. 

7 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

I’m inclined to agree. At this point I’m done with Abdullah. If he gets some space he can make a few plays but he goes down pretty easily and needs big holes to do anything. He’s not anywhere near as polished in the pass game as Riddick and has ball security issues to boot. 

Absolutely.  We have a shifty pass-catcher in Riddick, who is elite in that role.  I want a hard-nosed, downhill yard gainer, and Zenner is pretty good at just that.  Let Abdullah be a spell back at this point, but give me Zenner and a healthy dose of Riddick.

13 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Caldwell is not an innovator and he's not going to take us to the promised land. Macdaniels is a roll of the dice but I'd rather take a swing then stand there with the bat on my shoulder. Caldwell sucks at game management and he's not a play caller. He's a modern day Wayne fontes. Barely makes the playoffs but nothing else. I don't want to waste the prime years we have with Stafford on Jim Caldwell. 

Let's not ignore the complete lack of a running game.  With that, I'm convinced that this team could be competitive in the playoffs.  Until that happens, I won't pretend that routinely making the playoffs is an issue.

4 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Absolutely.  We have a shifty pass-catcher in Riddick, who is elite in that role.  I want a hard-nosed, downhill yard gainer, and Zenner is pretty good at just that.  Let Abdullah be a spell back at this point, but give me Zenner and a healthy dose of Riddick.

I don’t know if zenner is the answer but I do think he could consistently get positive yards more often than Abdullah.

51 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Let's not ignore the complete lack of a running game.  With that, I'm convinced that this team could be competitive in the playoffs.  Until that happens, I won't pretend that routinely making the playoffs is an issue.

I can somewhat agree with this but at the same time the lions have had a great chance to win the division just to piss it away.

im happy that we’ve made the playoffs more than we have previously but I’m still not happy with the end result. We backed our way into the playoffs last year and if we make it this year it will essentially be the same.

Archived