Season over?

TL-TwoWinsAway

15 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Ya I knew you couldn't answer it but with your sarcasm....but your right lmao

What's the point?  If I give a sincere response based on logic and reasoning, you'll throw out a one sentence dismissive response... why give you more?

Who's to blame for a seven point loss against a very good football team?  Does their need to be blame, and is it only one person?

In my opinion, our offensive play-calling in the first half of games fails to properly utilize our talent.  We "start slow" because we insist on forcing a bunch of conservative, predictable running plays on first and second down.  I don't want Abdullah as our lead back, and I want us to call a few more intermediate first down passes.  Hell, give me a first down draw to Riddick over the typical off tackle run with Abdullah.

Defensively, we've failed miserably at adjusting to the loss of Ngata.  It may not be easy to replace such a stout run-stopper, fine, but I expect Austin to either stack the box or show some creativity.  He has failed to do either.  Allowing teams to run the ball down our throats is unacceptable.

Stafford had his fair share of misses throughout this game, but the Vikings have a very good defense.  I thought his last throw was either a bad call or low percentage attempt, and would have liked to see something over the middle.

At no point did I walk away from this game thinking "Caldwell lost this one for us" or "man... Caldwell needs to be fired".  Conversely, I was impressed at how the team closed out the first half and never stopped fighting, even as the game appeared to be over.

We're 6-5 and in the running for a playoff birth.  Considering our weaknesses, I think Caldwell has done a pretty good job.

6 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

What's the point?  If I give a sincere response based on logic and reasoning, you'll throw out a one sentence dismissive response... why give you more?

Who's to blame for a seven point loss against a very good football team?  Does their need to be blame, and is it only one person?

In my opinion, our offensive play-calling in the first half of games fails to properly utilize our talent.  We "start slow" because we insist on forcing a bunch of conservative, predictable running plays on first and second down.  I don't want Abdullah as our lead back, and I want us to call a few more intermediate first down passes.  Hell, give me a first down draw to Riddick over the typical off tackle run with Abdullah.

Defensively, we've failed miserably at adjusting to the loss of Ngata.  It may not be easy to replace such a stout run-stopper, fine, but I expect Austin to either stack the box or show some creativity.  He has failed to do either.  Allowing teams to run the ball down our throats is unacceptable.

Stafford had his fair share of misses throughout this game, but the Vikings have a very good defense.  I thought his last throw was either a bad call or low percentage attempt, and would have liked to see something over the middle.

At no point did I walk away from this game thinking "Caldwell lost this one for us" or "man... Caldwell needs to be fired".  Conversely, I was impressed at how the team closed out the first half and never stopped fighting, even as the game appeared to be over.

We're 6-5 and in the running for a playoff birth.  Considering our weaknesses, I think Caldwell has done a pretty good job.

Fair enough..

But Caldwell must like this predictable stuff that you and everyone else is seeing right? 

Kinda my point

3 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Fair enough..

But Caldwell must like this predictable stuff that you and everyone else is seeing right? 

Kinda my point

I think Caldwell wants a running game.  Entering this year, I had Abdullah at the top of the depth chart, and they must see something in practice that we don't.

If you hate the offensive predictability, you should be blaming JBC.  If you hate the defensive struggles, you should blame Austin.  If you blame Caldwell based solely on the fact that he's the head coach, he should also get credit for the recent success of the team.  Can't have it both ways.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think Caldwell wants a running game.  Entering this year, I had Abdullah at the top of the depth chart, and they must see something in practice that we don't.

If you hate the offensive predictability, you should be blaming JBC.  If you hate the defensive struggles, you should blame Austin.  If you blame Caldwell based solely on the fact that he's the head coach, he should also get credit for the recent success of the team.  Can't have it both ways.

Idk what Caldwell does other than stand there and when his time comes to make a call more times he fails ..

No clue what this guy is strong at..nice guy? 

I mean when you see something not working why not change it...and to me you look straight at the HC no?

I don't just blame Caldwell either... Quinn is pissing me off.. jbc I got to believe he's trying to get Stafford killed 

We are one dimensional on not one but both sides of the ball... 

Caldwells laid back approach isn't gonna fix it.. sure you say Caldwell wants a running game but do nothing zero to change it..and what kinda running game did he have in his other stops.. I just don't know what you or Quinn are seeing here.. 

I really can't stand hearing Caldwell is the lions winningest coach..well Stafford is by far the best qb we've had too

I'm just done I already know I have to put up with this for a couple more years.. 

I'll probably turn toward the gm soon anyway lol..

1 hour ago, Rockcity2 said:

Idk what Caldwell does other than stand there and when his time comes to make a call more times he fails ..

No clue what this guy is strong at..nice guy? 

I mean when you see something not working why not change it...and to me you look straight at the HC no?

I don't just blame Caldwell either... Quinn is pissing me off.. jbc I got to believe he's trying to get Stafford killed 

We are one dimensional on not one but both sides of the ball... 

Caldwells laid back approach isn't gonna fix it.. sure you say Caldwell wants a running game but do nothing zero to change it..and what kinda running game did he have in his other stops.. I just don't know what you or Quinn are seeing here.. 

I really can't stand hearing Caldwell is the lions winningest coach..well Stafford is by far the best qb we've had too

I'm just done I already know I have to put up with this for a couple more years.. 

I'll probably turn toward the gm soon anyway lol..

It sounds like you're describing a 4-12 football team.

At the end of the day, I don't care if our coach is laid back or loud, or if we win by throwing the ball or running the ball.  I just want the team to win games.  We may be in the playoffs for the third time in four years.  I'll happily wait and see what Quinn and Caldwell can do with this group before demanding Caldwell be fired with a winning record.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Oh.  Well, if you're ignoring schedules, then absolutely... you'd have no reason to think that the season isn't over.  Of course, if we happen to win 11 games this year, and won our first 11 by beating our lesser opponents, you'd be strapped to the bandwagon.

Schedules matter.  And here they are:

Falcons (7-4):

Vikings

Saints

Bucs

Saints

Panthers

Seahawks (7-4):

Eagles

Jaguars

Rams

Cowboys

Cardinals

Lions (6-5):

Ravens

Bucs

Bears

Bengals

Packers

Feel free to jump off, ignoring all available factors.  Just don't be shocked at the end if/when the Lions beat their bad opponents, our competition loses to playoff teams, and we find ourselves in as the 6th seed.

I don't feel I'm ignoring all available factors you are just choosing to dismiss what I'm concerned over and are highlighting the good things they have done, which are good things, but... the bad things are why they are in the position they are in and not in the division lead, or narrowing the gap for the lead. I mean literally, Lions are so close to an injury away from being worst than the Browns it's not even funny. IF Stafford is gone for the season, good luck, and I know you can say that for anyone but not completely, I mean look at the Vikings, Houston, or even the freaking Colts. I only say Colts because Brissett is the only reason imo they are semi competitive at times. The team is bad. Only token thing I can say about Stafford-less Lions is truly I do not know how good Ruddock is as a back up, but imo it's not better than Shaun Hill and he needs playmakers around him or he's check down master which isn't much.

Hell, I don't love the job Caldwell has done lots of in game things I'm not a fan of that cost us game, imo, but some of it isn't his fault either, why no one will give him a running back is beyond me. Why Matt Stafford has to do everything for this team is beyond me, when he gets a little help( like a good defense early this season) They win games pretty easily and even beat up on the tough Vikings early, who still where playing well at that time, but alls I'm saying is it seems to be smoke a mirrors now without Haloti Ngata, the defense hasn't been good enough to beat ANYONE without Stafford putting up points. Teams are gashing the Lions for tons of yards in the run game, jumping out early, and when they're good like they Vikings/Carolina/Saints... Come backs aren't even an option.

Pretty tough to fire Caldwell though if Lions get into the playoffs. EVEN more tough without knowing who you plan on replacing him with.

Again, they don't got it this year. Imo. They need a few more really good players, better health,  Running game, Pass rush, possibly better depth. I'm not doom and gloom totally that the train is off the tracks with this team. Stafford is definitely a top 10 QB and can win you games, just needs a few more players and real playmakers around him on either side of the ball. I mean honestly, over time he's PROVEN, PROVEN, he cannot beat good teams with good coaches, and good QB play without help.

What I really fear is they'll resign Ziggy to major cash, keep all our current RB's, and only add a aging veteran for mid level money like they did with Reggie Bush where he's effective maybe a season/half the season then his age shows. This scenario is literally what I've watched my whole life-time outside of them not resigning Ndamukong Suh which I think was more him, than them.

Literally the only thing that would be more SO lions at this point would be Stafford retiring.

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It sounds like you're describing a 4-12 football team.

At the end of the day, I don't care if our coach is laid back or loud, or if we win by throwing the ball or running the ball.  I just want the team to win games.  We may be in the playoffs for the third time in four years.  I'll happily wait and see what Quinn and Caldwell can do with this group before demanding Caldwell be fired with a winning record.

That's what I feel like I'm watching a lot a 4-12 team.

2 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

That's what I feel like I'm watching a lot a 4-12 team.

That explains everything.  If you have watched this team over the last 3.5 years and believed you were watching a 4-12/4-13 football team, I understand completely why you'd want Caldwell fired.  That just isn't reality.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

That explains everything.  If you have watched this team over the last 3.5 years and believed you were watching a 4-12/4-13 football team, I understand completely why you'd want Caldwell fired.  That just isn't reality.

Uhh remember I said average?

But in stretches we look bout that bad

Just now, Rockcity2 said:

Uhh remember I said average?

But in stretches we look bout that bad

I get that.  But looking that bad and still winning games and reaching the playoffs is far better than looking great and consistently finishing 8-8.

I imagine we win as exciting as Caldwell is as a coach.  We're still competing.  We're still winning.  That can't be ignored, and definitely shouldn't lead to Caldwell being fired.

48 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I get that.  But looking that bad and still winning games and reaching the playoffs is far better than looking great and consistently finishing 8-8.

I imagine we win as exciting as Caldwell is as a coach.  We're still competing.  We're still winning.  That can't be ignored, and definitely shouldn't lead to Caldwell being fired.

Name me some great 8-8 teams.. 

Guys are competing for their jobs..

Or you telling me he's some master motivator 

I'm just not as encouraged as you

6 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

You think we're doomed.  Fine.

Does making the playoffs this year change your perspective?

No..

Why would it? Your running around here talking about how weak our schedule is..

Hey did you see where Rogers might be back soon... I can see it now...dont we play them the last game too..? You already know where I'm going with this don't you...

The same story...

You were counting the packers out right?

Archived