Season over?

TL-TwoWinsAway

2 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

No..

Why would it? Your running around here talking about how weak our schedule is..

Hey did you see where Rogers might be back soon... I can see it now...dont we play them the last game too..? You already know where I'm going with this don't you...

The same story...

You were counting the packers out right?

Our schedule is weak down the stretch because we already played our tough opponents.

Now you're arguing that the Packers might be a legitimate game, but it still wouldn't impress you if we made the playoffs?

There's nothing left for me to say.  I think the bottom line is this: you don't actually want to be happy with the team.  You need to feel that the team is a failure, regardless of the product on the field.  So be it.

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Our schedule is weak down the stretch because we already played our tough opponents.

Now you're arguing that the Packers might be a legitimate game, but it still wouldn't impress you if we made the playoffs?

There's nothing left for me to say.  I think the bottom line is this: you don't actually want to be happy with the team.  You need to feel that the team is a failure, regardless of the product on the field.  So be it.

I don't want to be happy for a team I loved for over 20 years... you got me all wrong man

I'm just pointing out things I would do..

We can continue with Caldwell but I see nothing changing and I ain't getting any younger.. I would love just one Superbowl 

News flash for you maybe but a ton of people don't like ya boy..

You like EVERYTHING about this team...i dont.. they sit at barely over 500 for a reason. You just refuse to look at the coach and idk why.. not saying it's ALL him either but it's a big part for me

On 11/29/2017 at 5:58 PM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

That explains everything.  If you have watched this team over the last 3.5 years and believed you were watching a 4-12/4-13 football team, I understand completely why you'd want Caldwell fired.  That just isn't reality.

This team does play like a 4-12 team at times. They tend to play down their competition quite often and look outclassed (more often than not) against top opponents. 

Not saying that’s fully Caldwell’s fault as I tend to lean more towards the coordinators on that than anything but this team has definitely played like a 4-12 team quite often. I’m not saying we shouldn’t ignore the fact that they are still winning a fair amount of games, I’m just saying that we shouldn’t ignore the fact that they tend to play down to their competition, seem outclassed by tougher opponents and backed their way into the playoffs by having the most comebacks in a season.

The only way I would push for Caldwell to be fired is if a great coach suddenly became available and wanted to coach the lions, which isn’t likely. 

15 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

This team does play like a 4-12 team at times. They tend to play down their competition quite often and look outclassed (more often than not) against top opponents. 

Not saying that’s fully Caldwell’s fault as I tend to lean more towards the coordinators on that than anything but this team has definitely played like a 4-12 team quite often. I’m not saying we shouldn’t ignore the fact that they are still winning a fair amount of games, I’m just saying that we shouldn’t ignore the fact that they tend to play down to their competition, seem outclassed by tougher opponents and backed their way into the playoffs by having the most comebacks in a season.

The only way I would push for Caldwell to be fired is if a great coach suddenly became available and wanted to coach the lions, which isn’t likely. 

I sort of disagree.

For some reason, we prefer to play conservatively until we need points.  (The lack of a running game affects that, of course.)  I don't view it as "playing down to our opponent", a I definitely don't feel that we get outclassed frequently.  We just play tight, conservative football.

Very few teams in this league dominate on a weekly basis.  We're definitely not one of those.

8 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I sort of disagree.

For some reason, we prefer to play conservatively until we need points.  (The lack of a running game affects that, of course.)  I don't view it as "playing down to our opponent", a I definitely don't feel that we get outclassed frequently.  We just play tight, conservative football.

Very few teams in this league dominate on a weekly basis.  We're definitely not one of those.

I can agree to a certain extent. I do agree that they tend to play conservatively quite often but I do feel like they also play down to their opponents quite often as well. It could just be coincidence but against bad football teams I think I see too much bad football being played by this squad for my liking.

i didn’t see they are outclassed often, just that they are often outclassed by the tougher opponents. The games sometimes end up being close at the end but you almost never get the feeling that Detroit is in control of the game for most of it.

i think there’s been one game this season that I’ve seen that it felt like Detroit was in control for most of the game and that was against New York. 

Whens the last time Detroit truly dominated an opponent?

On 11/29/2017 at 8:26 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think Caldwell wants a running game.  Entering this year, I had Abdullah at the top of the depth chart, and they must see something in practice that we don't.

If you hate the offensive predictability, you should be blaming JBC.  If you hate the defensive struggles, you should blame Austin.  If you blame Caldwell based solely on the fact that he's the head coach, he should also get credit for the recent success of the team.  Can't have it both ways.

Have you ever run a business or held a management position?  In the end your employees follow the direction you set in place. If it's not working then that is on you as the man at the top to dictate that change. If not then it's a failure at the top. It's management 101 set expectations and hold your employees accountable. If they can't get the job done get someone else. But trying the same failed plans over and over again and expecting different  results is the definition of insanity. 

1 hour ago, Millenhater said:

Have you ever run a business or held a management position?  In the end your employees follow the direction you set in place. If it's not working then that is on you as the man at the top to dictate that change. If not then it's a failure at the top. It's management 101 set expectations and hold your employees accountable. If they can't get the job done get someone else. But trying the same failed plans over and over again and expecting different  results is the definition of insanity. 

... then you're blaming Martha Firestone Ford, right?

1 hour ago, Millenhater said:

We are down at the half (again) this time 20-0. Does anyone still want to try to make the argument that Caldwell is a good coach?  Anyone?

I blame Caldwell for Prater's missed field goal.  Who's with me?

Ironically, I feel that the biggest play in this game is Caldwell's fault, but that doesn't mean that he's to blame for the loss.  Flacco clearly fumbled the ball, and the Lions recovered, but Caldwell failed to challenge the play in time.  It's not the first time he's struggled in this area as well.

But that doesn't excuse the absolutely atrocious defense all game.  To those blaming Caldwell, I can't believe the name Austin isn't right alongside his.

As I said before, even finishing 4-1 down the stretch would've likely led to a playoff birth, but Stafford's injury erases all hope.  If it ends his season, it ends ours as well.

9 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I blame Caldwell for Prater's missed field goal.  Who's with me?

Ironically, I feel that the biggest play in this game is Caldwell's fault, but that doesn't mean that he's to blame for the loss.  Flacco clearly fumbled the ball, and the Lions recovered, but Caldwell failed to challenge the play in time.  It's not the first time he's struggled in this area as well.

But that doesn't excuse the absolutely atrocious defense all game.  To those blaming Caldwell, I can't believe the name Austin isn't right alongside his.

As I said before, even finishing 4-1 down the stretch would've likely led to a playoff birth, but Stafford's injury erases all hope.  If it ends his season, it ends ours as well.

I can only speak for myself, but when I look at the talent in the front 7 of our defense, I can't fault Austin. 

1 minute ago, Nnivolcm said:

I can only speak for myself, but when I look at the talent in the front 7 of our defense, I can't fault Austin. 

I feel that the same reasoning should be used for the offense as well.  We've failed to give Stafford any sort of running game, and the quality offensive linemen on this roster can't stay on the field.  We've got two very good WRs and a great QB, but lack almost everywhere else.  If not Austin because of talent, the name everyone should be throwing around is Quinn.

28 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I feel that the same reasoning should be used for the offense as well.  We've failed to give Stafford any sort of running game, and the quality offensive linemen on this roster can't stay on the field.  We've got two very good WRs and a great QB, but lack almost everywhere else.  If not Austin because of talent, the name everyone should be throwing around is Quinn.

I'm still all for blaming Mayhew. Quinn has made strides, but the roster can't be remade overnight.

18 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I'm still all for blaming Mayhew. Quinn has made strides, but the roster can't be remade overnight.

I feel the same way, and I'm a fan of what Quinn has done so far.  I don't even really love Caldwell.  I just think that blaming everything on him is ridiculous, especially when your team *was competing for a playoff spot.

Archived