2023 Draft Prospects (Google Sheets) - New 2024 QB Worksheet

Karnage84

9 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Can you do OG? I know OL are hard to grade, but I can only find tape on the bigger name guys. 

I'll get there eventually. It'll be one of the next couple groups that I do. 

Working on LB right now. I'd probably do OG next, then RB or WR then OT. QB will probably be my last group as I think we're really just looking at a mid-round to later round picks for a developmental QB/back up. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It definitely helps as an input in player evaluations.  Its interesting when the PFF grades coincide with or go against other scouting reports.  

I really find it interesting in that element. I'm trying to utilize some other metrics like missed tackles %, TD/INT/PBU vs Target % (guys in coverage), stop % (which seems more in line with play against the run), pressure % (interior and edge defenders) to see if certain things pop. Either it forces me to look beyond the overall PFF grade and/or solidifies that person as a key person of interest. 

48 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I really find it interesting in that element. I'm trying to utilize some other metrics like missed tackles %, TD/INT/PBU vs Target % (guys in coverage), stop % (which seems more in line with play against the run), pressure % (interior and edge defenders) to see if certain things pop. Either it forces me to look beyond the overall PFF grade and/or solidifies that person as a key person of interest. 

That stuff definitely helps in finding the true strengths of guys and finding people who fit into our needs.  PFF grades are groups of people analyzing tape and grading based on what they think the player was supposed to do.  So if they think wrong or misinterpret, it can impact their grade.  The in depth numbers are more helpful in analyzing how a player got that grade (like Houston having an 89 grade but really only being a situational pass rusher so he would struggle in an every down role most likely).  

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That stuff definitely helps in finding the true strengths of guys and finding people who fit into our needs.  PFF grades are groups of people analyzing tape and grading based on what they think the player was supposed to do.  So if they think wrong or misinterpret, it can impact their grade.  The in depth numbers are more helpful in analyzing how a player got that grade (like Houston having an 89 grade but really only being a situational pass rusher so he would struggle in an every down role most likely).  

PFF also grades FCS and SWAC, so it can help highlight some guys that we don't see on a regular basis. Great example - James Houston had an elite level (90+) PFF grade.

I haven't looked at Kerby or Rodrigo's numbers yet. It'd be interesting to see if there are any patterns or metrics that might pop up showing success or targets for the Lions.

Sometimes when I build out my worksheets, certain guys just pop (Maxx Crosby, DK Metcalf). I think even Cominsky was someone that we had talked about a couple years ago in the FFMD. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

What kind of stats are most important to you when you're evaluating a LB? 

- Tackles?

- Defense against the run?

- Coverage?

How important do you consider pass rush/sacks for an off ball LB?

Its a mix of things tbh.  I want a LB who can cover given todays NFL, but we also need someone smart who reads offenses and can be in the right spots.  LB tends to lead teams in tackles because of where they play and their role so I want someone who is a good tackler.  Missed tackles is a bad sign for a LB for sure.  I do not often care about their sack/pressure rates given its not their main duties.  If they are good at timely blitzes, great, but we should have enough other players that can get pressure, we need someone to cover long enough to allow the pressure to get home. 

8 hours ago, General Tso said:

Jack Campbell is an animal. Why is he only projected in the 2nd round?

I liked him but somewhat shocked his PFF grades are that high.  He seems like a great LB to replace Anzalone with his coverage skills to match his run defense.  Great in zone coverage which is huge for a LB however his rec% doesn't seem to line up with that (which is the worst rec% of all the LBs on the list).  Mst be when they didn't target him he had his guy or zone on lock. 

Ivan Pace is another I have been looking at and his numbers fit what I am looking for as well with strong man coverage abilities and solid against the run. He does have a higher missed tackle rate which is concerning given the level of talent he was up against though.  

SirVocea Dennis is one I haven't heard hyped at all throughout this process but his stat line is promising too.  Insane missed tackle rate along with one of the best rec% rates and the second best stop% rate.  Thats definitely a name to consider in the third or even our late 2nd. 

On 1/9/2023 at 12:49 PM, Karnage84 said:

I don't know if these sheets are of interest to anyone.

Let me know if you find it interesting and I'll update. 

Do you have the same thing for the last few years?  Would be interesting to share it and see how well these numbers have translated to NFL success.  That would help in determining which skills seem to carry over more than others and how much level of competition matter.  I feel like the run defense would be one of the skills easiest to translate as it involves being in the right spot and reading plays more than anything but I could be wrong.