Should we keep Tannehill?

deeluxx3

Should we keep Tannehill?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Tannehill as our starting qb in 2023?

• Yes
    • No (cut or trade him)

3 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

The topic of this thread is asking the wrong question. It's not should we keep Tannehill. It's what are our options for replacing him.

We all know we should replace him at some point in the next couple of years, he's going to be 35 soon, but is there a viable option for the upcoming season?

We should try to get a franchise QB as soon as possible, but it's just not that easy.

The most common way to get a franchise QB is to not have a QB as good as Tannehill on your roster.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

The topic of this thread is asking the wrong question. It's not should we keep Tannehill. It's what are our options for replacing him.

We all know we should replace him at some point in the next couple of years, he's going to be 35 soon, but is there a viable option for the upcoming season?

We should try to get a franchise QB as soon as possible, but it's just not that easy.

The answer is no. Tannehill is easily the best option barring some crazy trade or draft trade up.

If we traded for Fields, I'm down, trade up for Stroud or Young? Down. Other than that, rolling with Tanny.

Edited by Mesa_Titan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

The most common way to get a franchise QB is to not have a QB as good as Tannehill on your roster.

Deciding in January to tank for the first overall or top five pick is out of the question.

Edited by TitanSS

8 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

josh allen, lamar jackson, jalen hurts, patrick mahomes, and deshaun watson would disagree with you. and that's just in the last handful of years. meanwhile, we drafted marcus mariota at 2 overall. acting like we HAVE to tank to get a franchise QB is just silly.

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

josh allen, lamar jackson, jalen hurts, patrick mahomes, and deshaun watson would disagree with you. and that's just in the last handful of years. meanwhile, we drafted marcus mariota at 2 overall. acting like we HAVE to tank to get a franchise QB is just silly.

I didn't say we have to tank. I said it's the most common way teams get franchise QB's. 

Seems to me tanking is the whole underlying implication of the thread. If you are serious about winning next season you keep Tannehill.

47 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

How do you get a franchise QB you most likely draft 1 we'll never draft a franchise QB wit RT under center he’s not good enough for us to win a SB & he’s too good to keep us prom picking a franchise QB something has to give 

9 hours ago, -Hope- said:

he had over 400 yards receiving this year. he’s not a great pass protector but he’s steadily improved as a receiving option out of the backfield, and could likely play more 3rd downs if we had an offensive line that didn’t need a RB in to block every single play.

also, it’s extremely easy to find elite running backs who weren’t good pass protectors. adrian peterson got a ton of flack for his struggles in pass pro.

He’s not reliable, he drops plenty of easy passes. And the guy is bigger than most blitzes he would pick up. The fact that he is a liability, to the point where they routinely take him out is a problem. again rewatch the games and see how often the best player on our offense is standing on the sideline on 3rd down/ obvious pass downs. Even when we’re trying to catch up in the 4th quarter… Even under Arthur smith, how often did we see 3rd down and Jeremy McNicoles? I understand a change of pace back but our best player is routinely on the sideline during clutch game moments. That either needs to change or they should move on and allocate less resources to the position and have a committee. 

And Vikes fans had the same complaints about AP. AP was great but those teams were mediocre because those offenses were stuck in the Stone Age. If you can get a lead you can neutralize their best player easily or mitigate the damage he can do. That’s a problem. 

6 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

He’s not reliable, he drops plenty of easy passes. And the guy is bigger than most blitzes he would pick up. The fact that he is a liability, to the point where they routinely take him out is a problem. again rewatch the games and see how often the best player on our offense is standing on the sideline on 3rd down/ obvious pass downs. Even when we’re trying to catch up in the 4th quarter… Even under Arthur smith, how often did we see 3rd down and Jeremy McNicoles? I understand a change of pace back but our best player is routinely on the sideline during clutch game moments. That either needs to change or they should move on and allocate less resources to the position and have a committee. 

And Vikes fans had the same complaints about AP. AP was great but those teams were mediocre because those offenses were stuck in the Stone Age. If you can get a lead you can neutralize their best player easily or mitigate the damage he can do. That’s a problem. 

you have described the universal condition of being a running back in the modern nfl lmao. short of a guy like christian mccaffrey there is not a RB that this is not true of, and even with mccaffrey if you're in a situation where you have to throw the ball you're obviously eliminating half his skillset. that's literally just football. the problem isn't derrick henry, the problem is derrick henry is our only viable offensive weapon. taking him out of the equation doesn't actually fix that, it just leaves us even more devoid of offensive talent.

8 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Bingo dead on, I said on Twitter either Tannehill or Henry has to go. I love Henry I know what he means to the team & franchise but for all the reasons you said, add the fact that this is his offense I don’t see us being able to win a SB unless we have a 00 Baltimore ravens defense or a 2014 sea defense. 

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

you have described the universal condition of being a running back in the modern nfl lmao. short of a guy like christian mccaffrey there is not a RB that this is not true of, and even with mccaffrey if you're in a situation where you have to throw the ball you're obviously eliminating half his skillset. that's literally just football. the problem isn't derrick henry, the problem is derrick henry is our only viable offensive weapon. taking him out of the equation doesn't actually fix that, it just leaves us even more devoid of offensive talent.

I disagree the only thing eliminating Mccaffrey skillset is durability. You can easily put him at WR, flex him out the backfield put him in the slot. Dude is different a true hybrid. His only knock is durability. Henry can’t pass protect nor catch the ball out the backfield unless it’s a screen or check down 

3 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I disagree the only thing eliminating Mccaffrey skillset is durability. You can easily put him at WR, flex him out the backfield put him in the slot. Dude is different a true hybrid. His only knock is durability. Henry can’t pass protect nor catch the ball out the backfield unless it’s a screen or check down 

read my post again, maybe a little more carefully this time

18 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yes. The thing holding the Titans back is Derrick Henry. Obviously. Great take.

No he’s not holding us back it’s the offensive philosophy holding us back run 1st use the run to setup the pass, it needs to be the other way around. Our offense starts & ends with a guy who we take off the field on 3rd downs how contradicting is that 

7 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

No he’s not holding us back it’s the offensive philosophy holding us back run 1st use the run to setup the pass, it needs to be the other way around. Our offense starts & ends with a guy who we take off the field on 3rd downs how contradicting is that 

Yea I’m not bashing the dude. But he is either a liability on 3rd down or he’s not properly utilized, but it’s been multiple coordinators who have been unable to properly utilize Derrick Henry on third down. Two of them are head coaches now. Your highest paid offensive player shouldn’t be leaving the field on 3rd and obvious pass down.

Edited by Chocolateman78

44 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

Man go down the list of elite backs in this league. Derrick is the ONLY one that is routinely brought out of games on 3rd and more than 3. We’ve seen him as a pass catcher, he’s decent with screens, but half the time when they dump the ball off to him it’s a drop. They don’t even give him chances to pass protect anymore. 

I love Derrick, want him to retire a Titan with records. but we’re talking about making this TEAM better, and unless Derrick’s skill set can evolve, then I think our team might be better off allocating less money to a stable of do it all backs and maybe allocating more money on guys who are critically effective on 3rd down… like premier WRs.

also worth noting, the 3 guys who ran for the most yards and TDs this year… Chubb, Henry, Jacobs… all sitting at home in the playoffs. I’m just sayin…