Offseason Thread

biggie.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I feel like the odds of Mac Jones being traded are at least 50/50 right now. I would lean towards likelihood being greater than not that he is dealt. Just a feeling I’ve been getting.

My gut tells me BB would be open to trading him, and may even put some feelers out to teams in the top 10 to see what they think of Mac. Spite BB is strong, he sticks up for his guys and ships out guys who aren't... if he feels that Mac's attitude is going against his authority he's going to ship him out of town. The worse part of that is that he won't even care about the return, yeah whatever give me a 3rd I just want him out of here. 

I think Kraft would push back though.. unless of course he thinks highly of Zappe or feels like you need an ultra athletic guy to compete. I also don't think Kraft is preaching patience anymore, he's getting older and he wants to win. Does he want to start over with a new QB? I think he's much more likely to say they should stick with Mac for this year then go into a better QB draft next year if Mac fails. 

What happens if you ship Mac off to Vegas and he turns into a top 10 QB this year? Yikes, that would be quite the bad look for BB. I put it at 75/25 that Mac stays... but i put it at 50/50 that Mac is the QB after this season. 

My biggest curiosity is what the compensation would look like.. would BB be trying to get in the top 10 to draft a guy? Or does he try to get future picks for a better QB class and build up the offense this season? 

Mac + 14 for 7 is in play.. but I think a team would give over a 2nd round value for Mac. I mean Sam Darnold even got traded for a 2nd, 4th and 6th. Maybe Mac + 46 for 7? Or Mac+14 for 7 and a future 2nd.

Panthers are a really interesting situation, they are spending money on the coaching staff.. what happens if they are up at 9 and all the top QB's are gone? I could totally see them trading 61 this year and a future 1st for Mac... and given how bad the organization has historically been I could 100% see BB making that trade.

DTR getting ready to be the next Purdy under O'Brien if this happens lol. The context he doesn't provide is that no good QB's were at any of the all-star games this year

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I think Kraft would push back though

I would agree. Only reason why it might be truly left to Belichick is if Kraft decides Mac is immature as a “franchise QB” and sees the obvious physical differences in the QB’s that all the best teams had in the playoffs compared to the Pats. Essentially it’s a rip the bandaid off moment and may even take the input of Bill O’Brien if he believes the right direction to go in is with chasing a Bryce Young and Anthony Richardson at the top of the draft. The other important input is what’s been alluded to already which is how much the Pats could get in a trade.

I like Mac, I don’t love Mac. It’s been my stance. Was worth an early pick and is a good, capable starting QB but his development has been sabotaged a bit.

12 hours ago, Crimmage said:

What happens if you ship Mac off to Vegas and he turns into a top 10 QB this year?

What if you trade Mac to the Raiders and it’s the nail in the coffin for Josh McDaniels? It might not be Mac’s fault again in that difficult transition situation especially with in my opinion a mediocre at best NFL offensive coordinator and bottom tier NFL head coach in Josh McDaniels.

I don’t think there’s much chance of Mac being traded this off season, at all.  They still don’t know what they have with him really. Let’s see him under BoB - it was unfair to have Matt P learning on the job calling plays for a second year QB.

For my money, this was the worst thing BB has done, that we know of. Worse than the Butler situation, worse than trying to trade Gronk, you name it. Matt Patricia calling plays for a promising 2nd year QB….my word.

So I think it would be crazy to trade him now. Also, taking into account they don’t know what Zappe is - 2 or 3 good games is not enough to know, and the QBs in the draft outside the top 2 are trash.

IMO - forget it. Mac is staying 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

For my money, this was the worst thing BB has done, that we know of. Worse than the Butler situation, worse than trying to trade Gronk, you name it. Matt Patricia calling plays for a promising 2nd year QB….my word.

Agreed

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I don’t think there’s much chance of Mac being traded this off season, at all.  They still don’t know what they have with him really. Let’s see him under BoB - it was unfair to have Matt P learning on the job calling plays for a second year QB.

Unfair yes, but we know a little more about what Mac Jones is. I’d say the Pats/Bill know more about what they have in Mac after last season. Kraft? Perhaps he feels like Mac showed poorly in attitude and professionalism especially. The reaching out for help and ideas that was reported Mac did and Bill hated is shows what the Pats have which is a clear lack of trust and not the smoothest or healthiest relationship.

I feel like Mac will be traded but I think it is likelier he stays than goes. Does that make sense? I think that the odds are more in Mac’s favor to be seen as the realistic safest option and ultimately not moved on from. However, I feel like the franchise sees how much room for improvement there is and knows that Mac’s shortcomings can’t make up all the room. The other factor at play influencing this is their relationship; does either side push for a divorce to best situate themselves going forward? And is there a team that comes calling and offers a legitimately worthwhile exchange for Mac that a reset at the QB makes sense?

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So I think it would be crazy to trade him now. Also, taking into account they don’t know what Zappe is - 2 or 3 good games is not enough to know, and the QBs in the draft outside the top 2 are trash.

Definitely not crazy to trade Mac now, but nothing is guaranteed if you move on from him because as you say, what is Zappe? Zappe to me is just a really good NFL backup. Taylor Heinicke 2.0 maybe best case scenario.

As far as the draft goes, we don’t actually know yet how many good QB’s there are. The Pats could definitely put themselves in a position to get one of the top two prospects at the position if they trade Mac away and target a prospect with a different skillset.

16 hours ago, biggie. said:

Trading Mac while he is on his rookie contract is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard.

Breer was the one who discussed the topic recently and it’s not that outlandish. If there is a better QB you see in the draft then you get a rookie contract for two more years than you would with what Mac Jones has left. In that case, it is the stupidest thing to not consider the move on the contrary.

The likeliest thing of all however is that Mac Jones stays. To get a Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, or Anthony Richardson in the draft is a finesse move to pull off since all three in my opinion will be gone in the first four or five picks.

Then there is local reporter Curran who hints at Kraft essentially calling the shots on QB Mac Jones, which seems to be his personal draft choice more so than Bill’s.

Safest, most logical move of course is to roll with Mac Jones in 2023 and see how far the teams goes. Unless something blockbuster evolves with Bryce Young, (Bill O’Brien/Alabama connection winning over Kraft’s), then I think at best the soonest Mac Jones would be even entertained being traded would be after June 1st for some other established veteran QB which would be its own blockbuster trade at that point too. The next soonest being if the team is losing unexpectedly a lot and they start selling off players by the trade deadline, presumably Mac wouldn’t be the answer at that point.

@Crimmagei doubt OBJ is being scouted to be a true #1. Surely people are aware of his injury history and won’t pay him nor play him to be relied on heavily until proven otherwise. Short term incentive laden deal it is anywhere he goes and at best the expectations for him would be to compliment others I imagine.

Edited by DoleINGout

RE: Odell Beckham

We can’t lie to ourselves, we would be excited at that addition.

Continuing the trend of not lying to ourselves, we have to accept what OBJ is at this point in his career given the injuries. I don’t think the Patriots are the right fit for him, and I don’t think he’s the right fit for us.

The draft seems to be a much better outlet for teams this off-season for wide receiver talent. There are still some names I wouldn’t be upset to see linked to us.

D.J. Chark

Robert Woods

Sterling Shepard

JuJu Smith-Schuster

Mack Hollins

Darius Slayton

Trent Sherfield

Jarvis Landry

Richie James

^ all guys I would prefer over Odell with all external factors included thinking for all these guys IMO

(money they’ll command, role we would/could use them in, age/injury history)