Offseason Thread

biggie.

Hopkins is reportedly on the trade block. 31 years old, two years left on the deal ($30.7M and $26.2M respective cap hits), coming off a season where he served a lengthy suspension but still dominated in the games he was in. Bill loved the guy and there’s obvious mutual respect there.

What would you guys trade for him?

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Hopkins is reportedly on the trade block. 31 years old, two years left on the deal ($30.7M and $26.2M respective cap hits), coming off a season where he served a lengthy suspension but still dominated in the games he was in. Bill loved the guy and there’s obvious mutual respect there.

I think it would be worth it as a make or break move for Mac Jones. If he does not improve with Hopkins, you know you have to move on. 

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don't see the point. Has one elite receiver ever really turned an offense around? Outside of maybe the Eagles in 2004. It seems weird to say it, given how much I've ranted about WRs over the years, but I don't see receiver as the problem. Parker-Meyers-Bourne-Agholor is a pretty solid top 4, especially with a decent TE group as well. It's probably a top 10 group of the BB era, if not top 5.

They just need a coach who can call a decent offensive game and some better line play.

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

I don't see the point. Has one elite receiver ever really turned an offense around? Outside of maybe the Eagles in 2004. It seems weird to say it, given how much I've ranted about WRs over the years, but I don't see receiver as the problem. Parker-Meyers-Bourne-Agholor is a pretty solid top 4, especially with a decent TE group as well. It's probably a top 10 group of the BB era, if not top 5.

They just need a coach who can call a decent offensive game and some better line play.

I think it goes without saying that no one would be under the assumption that adding Hopkins to the 2021 Pats = great offense. Playcalling and pass protection were huge issues last season that will obviously need to be addressed too. 

As for what Hopkins can do? A ton. Allen’s huge jump came once Diggs entered the picture. Mahomes started off with Hill and has always had Kelce. Seattle Russ was throwing to DK/Lockett. That Seattle team also just had a better passing attack with Geno Smith at the helm. Burrow’s got that trio to throw to. Herbert’s throwing to a high quality duo. Hurts’ best year is coming off the back of adding AJB. Tua’s best year is now with Hill/2nd year Waddle. Dak’s got good weapons. Kirk’s a top 12ish guy since he’s gotten to Minnesota, Thielen/Jefferson. Really the only top half passing attacks without either an elite weapon/high tier duo are the Lions and Jaguars, with two quality offensive minds at the helm. 

Not saying those QBs are being made by their receivers, but you see what those players do for their offenses. Plus, Agholor/Meyers aren’t under contract, and Bourne/Parker only have a year left on their deals. It’s not a group that’s starving for a body like it was a couple years ago but Hopkins takes this group from “serviceable” to “high tier” IMO. 

• Like 1

Hopkins  will be (hard) 31 years old at the start of the season.  Next year is a building year, at least it should be on the offensive side of the ball.

I look at players like Hopkins if I need another piece , not a savior, which basically never happens.

Small sample but he looked like he checked out when we played him this year.  What would motivate him if the Pats start from scratch.

Hard pass.

PS  Don't know his contract but I not spending any (big) cap money on him.

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2023/01/nfl-coaching-rumors-patriots-have-done-their-research-on-kliff-kingsbury-report.html?utm_campaign=masslivesports&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Read this article and started to wonder.

What if Kraft forces BB to look for a legit OC , not some coach currently in the ranks or an old buddy.

This guy would be the obvious choice based on someone BB knows, basically comfort zone with him.  I don't see him taking a unknown from lets say the Rams or Lyons.

Here the kicker. 

What happen if BB agrees on Kingsbury but Kraft has to step in, to convince Kingsbury.  He agrees to come because Kraft tells him he will take over when BB retires!!!!

Just spitballing here , there is no way I'm saying here that I want Kingsbury as the next HC.

IMO BB freaks out on the HC news. His plan was to set one of his guys when he retires. Someone from his current coaches such as Fat Matt and Judge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Does BB pull out another Napkin???

ADDED   The guy BB picks for OC will tell you if BB took Kraft seriously. This is major, if it just a flunky, BB is saying to Kraft screw you this my team.

👀

Edited by m haynes

1 hour ago, IheartMyV8 said:

I'm so disappointed that there's been no "Patriots fire Offensive play caller Matt Patricia." thread yet.  

Don't need one, forgone conclusion.  

Now if he stays OC, thread the heck out of it.  100 +pages of mutiny!!!! !😁

4 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Don't need one, forgone conclusion.  

Now if he stays OC, thread the heck out of it.  100 +pages of mutiny!!!! !😁

I don't assume anything when it comes to this team anymore... where the heck is Henry VIII when you need him!  #OffWithHisHead

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IheartMyV8 said:

I don't assume anything when it comes to this team anymore... where the heck is Henry VIII when you need him!  #OffWithHisHead

Great point have me laughing.

Especially after dealing with AAA today getting a license. Have original Birth Card from the hospital.  They say " sorry  not valid "   WWWWWWHHHHHAAAATTTTTT!!!!!

A Raiders fan just mentioned an interesting proposal that I think BB would strongly consider. 

Patriots trade Mac Jones and the 14th pick to the Raiders for the 7th pick in the draft 

Patriots select CJ Stroud/Bryce Young with the 7th overall pick

Why the Raiders consider it: 

- Trading Carr already for picks, so they can afford to trade back up if they really want a player ( Similar to what Miami did to get Waddle) 

- Mac has proven to be good with McDaniels 

- Mac is more ready to win now than a rookie while still being cheap on a rookie contract for 2 more years 

- Davante Adams is 30, by the time a rookie is hitting his stride (year 2/3) he may not be the same guy 

Why the Patriots consider it: 

- Relationship may have gone sideways this past season ( especially with reports of Mac going outside the team to ask for help) 

- New OC can pick his own QB and coach him up from day 1

- Team isn't ready to compete for a Championship yet so resetting the rookie contract is valuable ( too many needs)

- They essentially waste a first round pick from two years ago but probably wont draft this high again next year if Mac doesn't work out.. so if Stroud is available now is the time to get a new QB

- They still have enough picks to get an OT in the 2nd or trade back into the 1st to get someone

This is of course assuming: 

- A team doesn't trade into #1 that isn't already in the top 6.. Bears probably take Anderson

- Texans take one of Young/Stroud (This is all but guaranteed) 

- Colts fall in love with Levis / Richardson (They are a mess so it's possible they go for the highest ceiling guys with the highest bust potential) 

- Detroit loves Goff like they claim and want to build around him (Also works if they fall in love with a 

I'm ok with Mac sticking around.. but I think you HAVE to strongly consider this deal for the higher ceiling QB and being able to reset QB cap. 

What I would say a potential dream scenario could be: 

- Get a Legit OC

- Make the trade and take Stroud 

- Trade up from 47 into the late 20's to take Jaxon Smith-Njigba to replace Meyers (I think he could go anywhere from 20-35 because he missed the season and other guys test better athletically) .. This gets you your QB-> WR tandem from college in the pro's 

- Sign free agent RT Mike McGlinchey to dramatically help the OL 

- Draft a developmental LT to hopefully take over for Trent Brown after a year and hope he has a boom year on the last year of his deal 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Patriots select CJ Stroud/Bryce Young with the 7th overall pick

The trade better happen when the Raiders are on the board and one of the QB's are there.  There is no way either reach 7, if so the GMs are brained dead. Especially the Texans, Colts and Seahawks Sorry didn't get down to availability at 7.

IMO

The Bears should take Young.

Field is a great runner but average at best passing. He will never beat the elite teams that pass the ball.  Lama Jackson is 100 times better and will never see the SB. Also his future is over... 5 years done.

Here one trade Fields and take Young.  Josh liked Tebow he would love this guy!!!!

Mac is more ready to win now than a rookie while still being cheap on a rookie contract for 2 more years 

Strange comment, ready for Raiders but not for the Pats. If its because its Josh than the Pats failed Jones not the other way around.

HAVE to strongly consider this deal for the higher ceiling QB and being able to reset QB cap. 

Agree 1000%  They are just assets. That's my point with the Bears. There nut's to pass Young. Again reset just like Mac trade. That's what a smart GM would do.

What I would say a potential dream scenario could be: 

Remember we will not see (deep) playoffs. IMO at least 3 years.  I just don't see the offense progressing until BB retires. lets see who he hires that will determine the window. If it the same crap with different coaches the window could be longer. With that said I would add.

Trade Dugger if the price is right maybe a package to go after a young LT. Don't forget Dugger (old) age 27 at the start of camp and wants a big contract. I'm not paying for a guy in the box with average cover skills . I don't care how popular he is with the fans.  Remember assets smart GM. I'm not sure how cap works is he FA sign and trade. That has to be a way.

Also Uche He's gone once his contract is done. He will be over price. Also, he's fools gold if you look who he went up against. And he is injury prone.

Here what happens based on your (agree) comments and what I added.  You walk out with

1. CJ Stroud

2. Jaxon Smith-Njigba

3. Jaelyn Duncan , Cody Mauch or Blake Freeland

--------------------

Now if we can also  get   WR A.T. Perry and  RB Kenny McIntosh in the later rounds We would be the best GMs on the planet!!!!!!!!! 😁 IMO we're still are great GM just with the 1st three picks!!!

The key, remember its 3 years at least, til they sniff past the 1st round playoffs. 

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

The trade better happen when the Raiders are on the board and one of the QB's are there.  There is no way either reach 7, if so the GMs are brained dead. Especially the Texans, Colts and Seahawks Sorry didn't get down to availability at 7.

Yes, his proposal was that Patriots would do it on draft day. I think the Patriots would only consider it if a QB they loved was available at 7. 

This is how I think the draft goes (as of today):

Chicago: Anderson ( I don't think anyone offers enough to get a deal done) 

Houston: Bryce Young ( He's small but I think Caserio will like him.. but this scenario works either way if he takes Stroud too) 

Arizona: Not going QB

Indianapolis: This is where logic would dictate the other top 2 QB is taken. BUT  the Colts are impatient.. for all we know they could trade for Carr or go for the super boom/bust Levis or Richardson

Seattle: Also a QB spot.. but if they resign Geno long term, which I believe they will.. no longer a QB spot 

Detroit: Another QB spot.. more than likely they take one but if they love Goff and think they can make a jump with 2 first round picks, maybe they don't go QB

I honestly put it at like 25% chance one of the two is there at 7

Strange comment, ready for Raiders but not for the Pats. If its because its Josh than the Pats failed Jones not the other way around.

Mac is Joshes guy so they already have a connection. 

They also have Davante Adams, who is in win now mode .. where as in this scenario the Patriots would get a rookie QB/WR combo to restart their timer

Here what happens based on your (agree) comments and what I added.  You walk out with

1. CJ Stroud

2. Jaxon Smith-Njigba

3. Jaelyn Duncan , Cody Mauch or Blake Freeland

--------------------

Now if we can also  get   WR A.T. Perry and  RB Kenny McIntosh in the later rounds We would be the best GMs on the planet!!!!!!!!! 😁 IMO we're still are great GM just with the 1st three picks!!!

Those top 3 picks are a heck of a core.. I also love Perry as a Davante Parker replacement.

To get Smith-Njigba I think you probably need to trade to ~20. The Giants feel like the most likely team to pick him to me.. they are the most WR needy given that they have nothing at WR. I wonder if a 2nd and a future 2nd is enough to go from 45 to 20? Probably not.. maybe a 2nd, 4th and future 2nd? Something like that could make it happen while still retaining the 3rd round pick to move around and draft a tackle. 

The key, remember its 3 years at least, til they sniff past the 1st round playoffs. 

This is where I don't agree.. they got to the playoffs with Mac as a rookie.. if you have a proper OC, given how good the defense is and I expect to be. You're a wild card team next year with Mac or a rookie. The difference being that the rookie would give you 5 years of team control so BB has the rest of his career with a cheap QB/WR combo to make a run at one more SB before he retires. Then he can let the next guy worry about the cap ( throw all the money at the defense and win one in 3 years) 

Edited by Crimmage