Offseason Thread

biggie.

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Henry is the only decent TE on the roster. Cutting him AND Parker would be crazy.

Moreau is better than Henry at this point and would cost half as much or less.

Parker is okay but wasn’t really impactful when he was healthy. Saving $16 million on those two is something you’d be crazy not to do. Especially when you improve at TE and get a few other receivers in here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LD696 said:

I don't get several people's infatuation with McGlinchey. San Fran fans pray that someone makes an offer for him and he leaves and from what I've seen they are right. Not worth the cheddar he'd command.

He’s not going to command much cheddar. But he is a guy who has improved gradually each season and is young with a lot of tools to work with. Trent Brown without the work ethic questions and big contract.

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

do you think we need this much? the FA market is pretty bare unless we somehow get Lamar Jackson or something 

I think so. To sign that list of free agents and rookies, plus a trade they’re probably leaning towards of an established vet WR like DeAndre Hopkins, Tee Higgins, et cetera.

Wouldn’t rule out the possibility of a QB change either.

8 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

He’s not going to command much cheddar. But he is a guy who has improved gradually each season and is young with a lot of tools to work with. Trent Brown without the work ethic questions and big contract.

I think the bare tackle market could drive up his price and I'm not impressed with him as a player. He's good for at least a crucial mistake or bad play at the worst time a game, be it a penalty, missed block, sack given up. He's not a bad player, per se, but the perception of his signing will be heavily weighted by the price in a few years, imo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Moreau is better than Henry at this point and would cost half as much or less.

Parker is okay but wasn’t really impactful when he was healthy. Saving $16 million on those two is something you’d be crazy not to do. Especially when you improve at TE and get a few other receivers in here.

How in the world is Moreau better? He averages 300 yards a season. His best season, last year, is worse than Henry's worst season. And Parkers was 2nd on the team in receiving yards, despite missing 6 games. He also averaged 18 yards a catch - the only guy on the team over 12.

They are decent offensive pieces, cutting them because they had to play a year with no coordinator is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 

3 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

How in the world is Moreau better? He averages 300 yards a season. His best season, last year, is worse than Henry's worst season. And Parkers was 2nd on the team in receiving yards, despite missing 6 games. He also averaged 18 yards a catch - the only guy on the team over 12.

They are decent offensive pieces, cutting them because they had to play a year with no coordinator is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 

I wouldn't cut Henry, but I'd swap him for Moreau if it came to that still. I'm not worried about Moreau's production, he played with Waller and Renfrow, two players who excel in the same areas on the field that he would, so they ate up most of what he could get. He's an excellent athlete and he's not a 1D TE, i.e. he can block and catch as well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Troy Brown TE Coach .. ( He was previously special teams.. then RB.. then WR.. I could see them switching him to TE for a couple seasons so he can get more experience

That to me is the problem with the current BB staff. The coaches should of graduated, not learning on the job. I want a experienced guy at all positions.  Troy Brown as  assistant TE coach that's fine.  I don't want someone that's learning on the job leading any position group. We've  seen that done that.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong?

Edited by m haynes

19 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Cap Space ($33 million)

Da’Ron Payne, DL

Isaiah Oliver, CB/S

Cam Sutton, CB

Foster Moreau, TE

Jalen Guyton, WR

Richie James, WR

Jabril Peppers, S/LB    I can live with this if the price favors the Pats. Boy is he frustrating. I like him but  I swear at him a lot !!!

Mike McGlinchey, OT   He would be signed at 12:01 AM  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cameron Fleming, OL    Why would you want the stiff back?  Poor numbers. Am I missing something? Starting LT, Brown cut, McGlinchey RT ?

Max Scharping, OG        What are you doing here? Seems a waste of money. Unless you move Stange to center ( I would). He's a jag at OG.

Justin Watson, WR/TE

Rex Burkhead, RB/ST     Hard no,  we need someone reliable,  not injury prone and getting older. 2023 building year he offers nothing.

Cut: Trent Brown, Hunter Henry, DeVante Parker, Jalen Mills, Lawrence Guy ($35.5 million savings)  Except the Brown move. I cn't wait til he goes but BB give us no choice in 2023. I don't see how FA works here if it's Fleming.   LG  HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a cap guy.  I'll say this up front , it bores me to death. However, I will comment on some of the players you listed. See bold.

19 hours ago, LD696 said:

I don't get several people's infatuation with McGlinchey. San Fran fans pray that someone makes an offer for him and he leaves and from what I've seen they are right. Not worth the cheddar he'd command.

Is he's perfect no, however he is very capable. He's would be like ( live with the misses) Solder.  Also it needs to be fixed NOW and he's the best option by far. Matter of fact he would look All World in a (RT) Pats uniform !!!!   SF fans, What you think all (geniuses) fan bases are like us???????? 🤣

The reason you sigh him is because we have nothing now and in the future, that is close to playing the position effectively. Young guys on the roster, nope. Vet, nope , will he draft a starter, nope.

There is only one way a QB can be effective in the Pats offense ... shore up the OL particularly RT. That worth millions, IMO. Will it solve a major problem that the question. Yes pay the man.  I don't care. BB has money to spend,  its a RT or ST-ers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by m haynes

5 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

How in the world is Moreau better? He averages 300 yards a season. His best season, last year, is worse than Henry's worst season.

Look at the trajectory of the two just by how they move and consider their physicality. Moreau is a better blocker and bigger. Now, Moreau even appears quicker/faster/more agile even at 6’7. He played in McDaniels system this season. The only thing Henry has is vet savvy at this point and he is injury prone. A difference in like $7 million? Just relative value alone Moreau is a better player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Is he's perfect no, however he is very capable. He's would be like ( live with the misses) Solder.  Also it needs to be fixed NOW and he's the best option by far. Matter of fact he would look All World in a (RT) Pats uniform !!!!   SF fans, What you think all (geniuses) fan bases are like us???????? 🤣

The reason you sigh him is because we have nothing now and in the future, that is close to playing the position effectively. Young guys on the roster, nope. Vet, nope , will he draft a starter, nope.

There is only one way a QB can be effective in the Pats offense ... shore up the OL particularly RT. That worth millions, IMO. Will it solve a major problem that the question. Yes pay the man.  I don't care. BB has money to spend,  its a RT or ST-ers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think McGlinchey may be moved back to his college position of LT possibly. Fleming or someone else would be the RT.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I think McGlinchey may be moved back to his college position of LT possibly. Fleming or someone else would be the RT.

That's an interesting possibility, didn't know that he played LT in college. 

If they did that it would allow them to draft someone like JSN in the first then Dawand Jones for RT in the 2nd/3rd. That would certainly be a win. 

On 1/23/2023 at 1:44 PM, Crimmage said:

Lawrence Guy is a leader, losing McCourty and Slater.. doubt they cut him. But they certainly need a future replacement. 

Definitely could see Guy being a cap casualty. That said though, he may stick purely for morale of the remaining veteran players as well as for his leadership qualities — along with some decent snaps as a rotation Guy, (pun intended), that he could still offer perhaps. I understand the vision for him sticking around one more year if those are the justifications.

Edited by DoleINGout

12 hours ago, LD696 said:

I wouldn't cut Henry, but I'd swap him for Moreau if it came to that still. I'm not worried about Moreau's production, he played with Waller and Renfrow, two players who excel in the same areas on the field that he would, so they ate up most of what he could get. He's an excellent athlete and he's not a 1D TE, i.e. he can block and catch as well.

Aaron Hernandez played with Welker and Gronk, it didn’t stop him producing. I don’t like signing players on the assumption of untapped value, how often does that work out? Wes Welker is about it.