2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

I think Jones isn’t that good. I think he looked above average bc of Daboll and we don’t have Daboll here. So he’d revert to the Jones we saw his 1st few years.

Regardless I see NYG giving Barkley a contract and if they have to tag Jones so be it.

Tannehill is the name to look out for. And I don’t want him. Very average and probably does nothing more than make us a borderline playoff team each year. Putting us in no man’s land in the draft but never a threat to win a SB.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think Jones isn’t that good. I think he looked above average bc of Daboll and we don’t have Daboll here. So he’d revert to the Jones we saw his 1st few years.

Regardless I see NYG giving Barkley a contract and if they have to tag Jones so be it.

Tannehill is the name to look out for. And I don’t want him. Very average and probably does nothing more than make us a borderline playoff team each year. Putting us in no man’s land in the draft but never a threat to win a SB.

Like I said three days ago if we get Tannehill, it will set the Jets back 10 years.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

If there was ever a case to be made about surrounding a QB with talent, it is DJ and the Giants.  He has had nothing in terms or receivers, TE, or even OL.  Barkley was hurt the last two years.  Yes, Daboll certainly helped, but I think DJ on the Jets would be even better.  Quick, name a Giants WR.  Yup, nothing immediate comes to my mind either.

8 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Like I said three days ago if we get Tannehill, it will set the Jets back 10 years.

Why?  Tanny is nothing to get excited about but he would be better than what we have had these last two years.  10 years?  Really?

12 minutes ago, xrade said:

Why?  Tanny is nothing to get excited about but he would be better than what we have had these last two years.  10 years?  Really?

Because Tanny is not that good. You might as well go after Baker who is younger and has better upside. Tanny does what nothing for 2 years and maybe or maybe not make playoffs. Then you draft a rookie 2 years from now and it takes 3 years to get him where you want him that is if you hit on it. Now your 5 or 6 years down the road. Guys I would take over Tanny are

Baker

Mike White

Sam Darnold

Matt Ryan

D. Jones

Gardner M.

Yes I would even take Garnder over him and I hate Gardner lol

19 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Because Tanny is not that good. You might as well go after Baker who is younger and has better upside. Tanny does what nothing for 2 years and maybe or maybe not make playoffs. Then you draft a rookie 2 years from now and it takes 3 years to get him where you want him that is if you hit on it.

I am not the biggest fan of Tannehill.  But 10 years?  First off, IF Tanny was here we will be drafting a QB this year or next with the hopes of him starting in 2-3 years.  5-6 years, come on.  This whole 10 year thing is complete nonsense.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, xrade said:

I am not the biggest fan of Tannehill.  But 10 years?  First off, IF Tanny was here we will be drafting a QB this year or next with the hopes of him starting in 2-3 years.  5-6 years, come on.  This whole 10 year thing is complete nonsense.

All your doing is kicking the can down the road. At some point your going to have to go back and draft a QB and it takes 2-3 years to get them as a starter. Most rookie QB's coming in struggle there first year or 2 of starting. So you have Tanny for 2 and he puts you out of the top 15 picks so your not getting a great young QB there. I know you have a few here and there but most good QB's are picked 15 or higher. That rooie going to take at least 2-3 so add the 2 for Tanny ya your looking at 5 years. Yes 10 years seems a lot to me too but I can set this team back. Then you add the fact in those 5 years who you have to pay big money for. 

I'd much rather go after Tannehill than Daniel Jones. How does tannehill set the franchise back 10 years? He would be on a short term deal that would be easy to get out off. Jones on the other hand would be on a long term deal with quite a bit of guarenteed money and he just isn't very good. I think he's a borderline top 20 qb and that's a nightmare

17 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

All your doing is kicking the can down the road. At some point your going to have to go back and draft a QB and it takes 2-3 years to get them as a starter. Most rookie QB's coming in struggle there first year or 2 of starting. So you have Tanny for 2 and he puts you out of the top 15 picks so your not getting a great young QB there. I know you have a few here and there but most good QB's are picked 15 or higher. That rooie going to take at least 2-3 so add the 2 for Tanny ya your looking at 5 years. Yes 10 years seems a lot to me too but I can set this team back. Then you add the fact in those 5 years who you have to pay big money for. 

No matter what vet QB we get we are kicking the can down the road.  Not sure why Tanny makes this process go from 5 years to 10 more than any other vet QB.  Again, we can be unimpressed with getting him, but Tanny has zero impact on how long it takes to develop a QB vs anyone else we get.

By my count, 10 of the starting 32 QB's were picked 10 or higher.  Seems like MOST QB's are found after 15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

Because Tanny is not that good. You might as well go after Baker who is younger and has better upside. Tanny does what nothing for 2 years and maybe or maybe not make playoffs. Then you draft a rookie 2 years from now and it takes 3 years to get him where you want him that is if you hit on it. Now your 5 or 6 years down the road. Guys I would take over Tanny are

Baker

Mike White

Sam Darnold

Matt Ryan

D. Jones

Gardner M.

Yes I would even take Garnder over him and I hate Gardner lol

I honestly have to disagree with every single one of those names. The thing is none of these guys are franchise QBs and never will be. I don't care what Darnold did 6 years ago at USC he's not the guy for the job. Same with Baker. Matt Ryan is completely washed and has been for 2 years now he's done. Mike White and Gardner are the same for me both are good backup QBs. See above for Daniel Jones. Tannehill is a solid QB who won't cost a ton that you don't have to commit to long term. There are better options (Carr, Lamar, Rodgers) but if you swing and miss on them he's probably the next best choice. He's basically a cheaper, older, Jimmy G with less injury concern. Are we going to win the super bowl with Ryan Tannehill? No. But you aren't winning the super bowl with any of the guys you listed and they all cost more, most will require a longer commitment, and are all arguably worse QBs than Tannehill is right now. He'd be fine for the next year or 2 if we miss out on the big names and I'm pretty confident the team would be playing good football in the mean time with him as we try to develop someone younger.

4 minutes ago, xrade said:

No matter what vet QB we get we are kicking the can down the road.  Not sure why Tanny makes this process go from 5 years to 10 more than any other vet QB.  Again, we can be unimpressed with getting him, but Tanny has zero impact on how long it takes to develop a QB vs anyone else we get.

By my count, 10 of the starting 32 QB's were picked 10 or higher.  Seems like MOST QB's are found after 15.

I agree with all of this. And not to mention if the problem is that we'd be picking outside of the top 15 if we bring Tannehill in doesn't that most likely mean Saleh and JD are safe? What would be even more of a disaster imo would be getting wrecked next year, firing Saleh and JD and having our young guys like sauce and Garrett Wilson lose faith in the organization just like Jamal Adams did and completely starting from scratch AGAIN. That would be a nightmare. 

• Like 1