2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

52 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Darrell Bevell seems to be the HOT NAME linked to us immediately.

He has a great track record with QBs. Look what he's done to Tua's game for example.

He has OC and even HC experience. Which based on what JD and Saleh said about a vet coach he fits.

He's my bet as the new OC. Which I'd be good with.

The fan in me wants Joe Brady still.

Not the sexiest name but a good one. We won’t know more til next weekend since they’re in the playoffs. I wonder who else hits our radar.

8 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I’ve seen far more evidence of a coaching change helping the QB get better more than a QB change helping the coach get better. 

It’s funny actually because this very fan base has said it in the last few years about the coaches ruining the players yet with this kid it’s gotta be him and not the coach or the line, etc…

I will give some examples of things that’s been said

Look at Tannehill after he left Gase

Josh Allen wouldn’t have developed with the Jets

Mahomes wouldn’t be Mahomes if he was on the Jets

And there’s more examples. Jeff Saturday has shown just how vital coaching is lol. Plus our players voiced way to many frustrations with the state of the offense and it’s issues for me to not see that as a huge red flag. With all that being said Wilson, White and Flacco  all weren’t playing well enough.

Agreed.  And I hate “catering to Prima donnas” but when our two biggest talents are visibly frustrated and we have slow starts with every QB, something needs to change. 

I hate how everyone (mostly radio) during the season trashed MLF but now that he’s gone they’re complaining it was Woody Johnson. 

Coaching is massive in this league with so many moving parts. The Giants look awful on paper yet Daboll had the team playing to their STRENGTHS. MLF forces things, out thinks himself and tries to line up 1 on 1 talent vs talent. Same with Ulbrich. They don’t scheme anything. They don’t put players in position to succeed. They are to inconsistent. 

Zach needs to grow up this offseason and take 150% responsibility. Everything is fixable if he puts in the mental work and physical work. Josh Allen was able to fix it and Zach does in fact have a Josh Allen ceiling, not as great running, but the potential arm for big plays and dumb turnovers. Whatever coach we hire I want them to play to the player’s strengths. Not force them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Agreed.  And I hate “catering to Prima donnas” but when our two biggest talents are visibly frustrated and we have slow starts with every QB, something needs to change. 

I hate how everyone (mostly radio) during the season trashed MLF but now that he’s gone they’re complaining it was Woody Johnson. 

Coaching is massive in this league with so many moving parts. The Giants look awful on paper yet Daboll had the team playing to their STRENGTHS. MLF forces things, out thinks himself and tries to line up 1 on 1 talent vs talent. Same with Ulbrich. They don’t scheme anything. They don’t put players in position to succeed. They are to inconsistent. 

Zach needs to grow up this offseason and take 150% responsibility. Everything is fixable if he puts in the mental work and physical work. Josh Allen was able to fix it and Zach does in fact have a Josh Allen ceiling, not as great running, but the potential arm for big plays and dumb turnovers. Whatever coach we hire I want them to play to the player’s strengths. Not force them. 

Agree on everything here. 

6 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Are they looking for someone who can work with ZW? 

I'm starting to think that Saleh is right. ZW is going to be on this team and the OC is going to have to work with him. I wanted Ken Dorsey years ago as the OC. We missed that boat lol. I think Dorsey is a HC by 2024. I think you HAVE to get Kliff Kingsbery in here at any cost. He has worked with Murray who is close to what ZW is. He is the only guy I want right now. I think Frank Reich is a head coach again. He is too good to not be. He will probably end up as the Panthers or Texans coach. If we don't get Kliff the only other guy I would take is Joe Brady. 

I'm glad MLF is gone and he needed to go. This maybe Saleh friend but this is business and you don't have friends in business or you are out of business. 

12 hours ago, JetsandI said:

List your pairing.

Mine would be

OC Brian Johnson and QB Gardener Minshew.

Or

OC Pat Shurmur and QB Case Keenum.

I probably go with second pairing because both are seasoned veterans for those respective positions.

If the Jets go in with those QB's Saleh and JD are gone after next year. I would NOT put Gardner or Case in. I would just resign Mike White. I have no idea why people want Gardner. The guy is no better than Mike White. 

56 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I’ve seen far more evidence of a coaching change helping the QB get better more than a QB change helping the coach get better. 

It’s funny actually because this very fan base has said it in the last few years about the coaches ruining the players yet with this kid it’s gotta be him and not the coach or the line, etc…

I will give some examples of things that’s been said

Look at Tannehill after he left Gase

Josh Allen wouldn’t have developed with the Jets

Mahomes wouldn’t be Mahomes if he was on the Jets

And there’s more examples. Jeff Saturday has shown just how vital coaching is lol. Plus our players voiced way to many frustrations with the state of the offense and it’s issues for me to not see that as a huge red flag. With all that being said Wilson, White and Flacco  all weren’t playing well enough.

For me the difference between Zach and the guys before him that didn’t work out was that he had weapons. Darnold had garbage compared to what Wilson had this last season. And while we were winning in spite of Wilson’s awful play. He never played good with those weapons. When there was Hall, Wilson, Davis, Moore, Conklin, Uzo and all out there he wasn’t a threat at all with his arm. So for me that’s the difference. I won’t defend the system at all bc I think MLF was garbage in that he had his system and refused to alter it. Never catering to a young QB or anything. Awful game planning. I can keep going on things I don’t like about MLF.

But to sit back and say Wilson wasn’t to blame is laughable. While you weren’t active on here…. Trust me I was darn near debating this whole forum alone on how Mike White wasn’t good. And that there are bumps and bruises for young QBs like Wilson.

Facts are with Wilson was the he was garbage as a rookie to start. For me that was expected being I didn’t exactly want him bc I knew he wasn’t close to polished from a smaller competition school. That jump from slightly above good TX high school teams to the NFL is gigantic. He got injured and the rest seemed to serve him well. Still wasn’t a threat throwing. But wasn’t turning the ball over like he was. So there was growth there and optimism going into the off-season. All we heard was how he looked good and all in TC and stuff this year. He gets injured and once again the sitting down seemed to serve him well. Once again not winning with his arm. But not turning the ball over and actually winning games. Something thy was big for us but we weren’t winning bc of Zach at all. He plays one of the worst games a QB can possibly play and in turn deflects the blame which the combo of that and his play gets him benched. White goes and lights up a crappy Fieldsless team and the fan base goes nuts (not including me). White gets brought back down to earth playing better teams yet the fan base still is spot on Wilson. While me personally I think Wilson > White. At that point and whatever was going on with Wilson. White did give us the best chance to win. And in a playoff race that’s what matters. White gets injured which gets Wilson back in. And for me player better than White did against DET than White did. Which the staff apparently somewhat agreed with bc he got another start against JAX. And looked to revert back to that QB we saw against NE twice. Where they don’t belong on the field. Especially in a playoff race. For me I would’ve still played Wilson against MIA bc why not. But 1 game isn’t moving what he did over the season for us. The key in all this seems to be when Wilson sits. He comes out looking better than he did before. Which does show growth. But he still is a bottom QB in this league. There’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to throw for 200+ 60%+ and more TDs than INTs each week. We have the talent to do that now. Yet we have half’s where we have 40yds of offense. Of course a lot of that is on the OC. But a huge part of that is the QB as well.

Fir those reasons. For me Wilson doesn’t deserve the starting role going into 2023. For me he should be slated as hands down the backup. Fight to close that gap between you and the starter where if he slips. They think you’ve done enough to bench him and play you. But he for me by no means should be the starter for us in 2023. You need QB play to win in this league. But there’s 52 other guys being affected by his awful play.

The Jets the last 6 games scored 2 TD's by the hated ZW. 5 of the last 6 games no TD's. 

MLF had to go, JD made a terrible decision allowing Saleh to bring in a OC with ZERO experience as an OC and it showed the 2 years that he was OC for the Jets.

Numbers don't lie, losing 6 in a row is on the entire staff not only on MLF. 

Granted we had injuries, every team does. But I believe if you sit Zach and bring in a good QB and OC that knows how to put points on the board the Jets make the playoffs in 2023.

The Defense alone almost put them in, the Jets 7 wins were a direct consequence of the defense. The offense didn't win a single game for them.

So I can see the Jets going all in on a QB and I will guarantee you that WJ will give them a GO to get one. He did it with Farve.

Carr with a competent OC and the D we have will put us in the playoffs and maybe more.