2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Carr scares me. What is his mindset after getting the best WR in the game to play for his team, and one year later the team decides to move on from him?

If we could get Adams as a package deal, then yeah. But just Carr? He seems too WR-dependent for my liking. I know we have three talented dudes, but I think we need a QB who is more low-maintenance. Someone who will enhance the WR group, and not the WR group forced to make the QB look better than he is. 

Also, the OC hire is probably linked to the QB we go after. And since I don't think LaFleur would have worked with a Lamar Jackson, then maybe the idea to move on from the OC is philosophical, and that the new OC is going to be catered more for a running QB?

A guy can dream.

If you think our WRs are complaining about getting the ball now, just wait for Lamar. Hopefully he’s bringing his TE.

I've been reviewing Greg Olson. I want him. He has a interesting track record but has had bad luck with the coaching staff he picked. 

2013-14: 

He joined the Raiders as an OC. 2013, he had to deal with a QB mess and Terrelle Pryor's final year. 2014, They drafted Derek Carr in the 2nd round. 58%CMP/3270yds/21tds/12ints. This is when McFadden was fading away. His best targets were James Jones and Andre Holmes. The problem? Dennis Allen was already on the hot seat when Olson arrived and got fired. So the whole staff was cut. 

2015-2016: 

He joined the Jaguars as the new OC. 2015, his QB was Blake F'n Bortles. He threw for 58%CMP/4,428yds/35tds/18ints. He also got career highs out of Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns. His RB was Yeldon, so that wasn't helpful. That's amazing for a QB that turned out to be a bust. 2016, Bortles threw for 58%CMP/3905yds/23TDs/16ints. Hurns got hurt and their defense wasn't great. Unfortunately, Gus Bradley was a the HC and got fired who also was on the hot seat when Olson arrived. 

You know who else was on that staff? Coach Saleh. He was the LB coach. A connection. 

2017: 

He joins the Rams staff as the QB coach. Jared Goff's 1st season as a starter. His stats were 62%CMP/3,804yds/28TDs/7ints. Before Olson arrived, Goff threw for 54%cmp/1,089yds/5tds/7ints in 7 games the year before. They won 11 games and made it to the playoffs. 

2018-21: 

He rejoins the Raiders' staff and brings out the best out of everyone. Carr reached career highs. 67%CPM+ each season and 4,000+ yards each yearDarren Waller gets a shot and hits 1,100yds+ in his first two seasons. Jacobs' first two seasons were over 1k. No real WRs at the time so he made the best out of Renfrow. No big FA or first round pick. The problem? He was under Jon Gruden who got fired for messed up emails/texts. 

I think he's a steal now. He made great things happen with the QBs no matter what the surrounding looked like. He has a connection to Saleh and is experienced enough to help all our QBs + coaching staff. If we want Carr, this would be appealing to him. I think he's a great fit. 

6 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I've been reviewing Greg Olson. I want him. He has a interesting track record but has had bad luck with the coaching staff he picked. 

2013-14: 

He joined the Raiders as an OC. 2013, he had to deal with a QB mess and Terrelle Pryor's final year. 2014, They drafted Derek Carr in the 2nd round. 58%CMP/3270yds/21tds/12ints. This is when McFadden was fading away. His best targets were James Jones and Andre Holmes. The problem? Dennis Allen was already on the hot seat when Olson arrived and got fired. So the whole staff was cut. 

2015-2016: 

He joined the Jaguars as the new OC. 2015, his QB was Blake F'n Bortles. He threw for 58%CMP/4,428yds/35tds/18ints. He also got career highs out of Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns. His RB was Yeldon, so that wasn't helpful. That's amazing for a QB that turned out to be a bust. 2016, Bortles threw for 58%CMP/3905yds/23TDs/16ints. Hurns got hurt and their defense wasn't great. Unfortunately, Gus Bradley was a the HC and got fired who also was on the hot seat when Olson arrived. 

You know who else was on that staff? Coach Saleh. He was the LB coach. A connection. 

2017: 

He joins the Rams staff as the QB coach. Jared Goff's 1st season as a starter. His stats were 62%CMP/3,804yds/28TDs/7ints. Before Olson arrived, Goff threw for 54%cmp/1,089yds/5tds/7ints in 7 games the year before. They won 11 games and made it to the playoffs. 

2018-21: 

He rejoins the Raiders' staff and brings out the best out of everyone. Carr reached career highs. 67%CPM+ each season and 4,000+ yards each yearDarren Waller gets a shot and hits 1,100yds+ in his first two seasons. Jacobs' first two seasons were over 1k. No real WRs at the time so he made the best out of Renfrow. No big FA or first round pick. The problem? He was under Jon Gruden who got fired for messed up emails/texts. 

I think he's a steal now. He made great things happen with the QBs no matter what the surrounding looked like. He has a connection to Saleh and is experienced enough to help all our QBs + coaching staff. If we want Carr, this would be appealing to him. I think he's a great fit. 

Devil's advocate. 

If Olson makes guys better why not stick with our guy and let him make him better while also adding a veteran instead of spending a pick and $40M in cap space on a guy who's approaching the end?

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Devil's advocate. 

If Olson makes guys better why not stick with our guy and let him make him better while also adding a veteran instead of spending a pick and $40M in cap space on a guy who's approaching the end?

That post isn't about what QB we need. Would I like Carr? Yes, but he has a track record of getting nearly the best out of QBs even if they aren't that good. We had him, I feel like we're putting any QB we end up with in the best position to succeed. 

12 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Devil's advocate. 

Would you want Lamar if the tag and trade becomes reality? If so what would you be willing to give up for him?

13 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

That post isn't about what QB we need. Would I like Carr? Yes, but he has a track record of getting nearly the best out of QBs even if they aren't that good. We had him, I feel like we're putting any QB we end up with in the best position to succeed. 

You mentioned Carr at the end. I see a lot of Olson/Carr package being said that's why I mentioned it. 

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

You mentioned Carr at the end. I see a lot of Olson/Carr package being said that's why I mentioned it. 

Yeah, I basically meant if the team wanted Carr, this would also help. I like the Olson and Carr package, but this will likely work well with any QB we pick up and if they're serious about developing Wilson, why I not get the guy who boosted Bortles, Developed Goff, and got good seasons out of Carr with no real targets outside of Waller? He checks all the boxes for me. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

2013-14: 

2015-2016: 

2017: 

2018-21: 

I like Olsen as well. Seems like a guy who gets the best out of every QB he's had which is exactly what we need. 

Has anyone done enough research to tell if he adjusts his scheme based on his personnel or is it that his scheme is just so versatile that most QBs excel in it?

Edited by Mattmanz

7 minutes ago, Mattmanz said:

I like Olsen as well. Seems like a guy who gets the best out of every QB he's had which is exactly what we need. 

Has anyone done enough research to tell if he adjusts his scheme based on his personnel or is it that his scheme is just so versatile that most QBs excel in it?

I'm trying to look for details, but I believe it's a vertical passing west coast offense. The closet thing I can think of to describe it is Sean Payton's  Saints style if he wasn't given Drew Brees. 

Edited by rickyt31
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mattmanz said:

Would you want Lamar if the tag and trade becomes reality? If so what would you be willing to give up for him?

Lamar is the 5th best QB in the conference behind Mahomes, Herbert, Allen and Burrow. He's super talented though his passing is not on par with those guys its good enough. 

It would really depend on the price(picks). Picks dont matter when your GM sucks but Douglas can draft well. 

3 Firsts is a no-no. I'd give up 2 Firsts+. 

• Like 1

Iv never been a huge fan of Carr and found him overrated. Of course I would get behind the signing if it did happen but he’s fairly low down on my list of what I would do.

1. Trade for Lamar

2. Sign/trade for Rodgers/Brady

3. Sign a stop gap like Jimmy G

4. Resign Mike White

5. Trade for Derek Carr