2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

https://overthecap.com/draft-trade-value-chart

Reviewing this trade value chart that people are using to say the Jets got fleeced in the Eli trade. Took all of 3 minutes to find major flaws in it. Jason does great work, but his chart is deeply flawed. Here’s a good example… According to his chart, moving down from #8 to #12 is only worth a late 7th round pick. Also, his chart suggests the difference between #42 and #74 is a mid-late 6th rounder. When’s the last time a team traded up a whole round from the 3rd into the 2nd (top 50 at that) for a 6th round pick? 

9 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

https://overthecap.com/draft-trade-value-chart

Reviewing this trade value chart that people are using to say the Jets got fleeced in the Eli trade. Took all of 3 minutes to find major flaws in it. Jason does great work, but his chart is deeply flawed. Here’s a good example… According to his chart, moving down from #8 to #12 is only worth a late 7th round pick. Also, his chart suggests the difference between #42 and #74 is a mid-late 6th rounder. When’s the last time a team traded up a whole round from the 3rd into the 2nd (top 50 at that) for a 6th round pick? 

Based on an accurate trade chart… Moore was worth exactly the 66th pick in this draft. 

47 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

This off-season is bittersweet. We’ve been building a nice homegrown core but now we went win now/all in and the guys we might possibly win with aren’t even “Jets” idk it just kinda stinks lol. I get it but man it’s just anticlimactic for me if we even did make it far.

Moore punched his ticket the minute he started complaining about his production while we were winning.  That isnt the player you want in your locker room.  He asked for a trade and we held firm I commend JD for waiting for the opportune time.  He jumped 32 spots in the draft for a malcontent Diva.  Looking at it any other way is a disservice to our off season.  Who have we lost that we really needed to be here?

• Like 1

I think we're doing things the right way. We found core guys through the draft and we're pairing them with talent we can afford. We could possibly end up with Rodgers, Wilson, Lazard, OBJ, Hardman, B.Hall, and Conklin before the draft and 2nd wave of free agency. Once when the Rodgers' deal is complete, he can actually move. Just need a couple of upgrades on the oline and the defense, we're good. If we do all of this and have a bad season, that's on Saleh. 

5 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Until he shreds his ACL again. 

Could very well happen. And that’s why a huge portion of his deal will be incentives and not base. He did in 11 games with LA have 7 TDs though last time he played and will have had 19 months to recover before week 1.

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

This off-season is bittersweet. We’ve been building a nice homegrown core but now we went win now/all in and the guys we might possibly win with aren’t even “Jets” idk it just kinda stinks lol. I get it but man it’s just anticlimactic for me if we even did make it far.

Agreed and then here’s my “sky is falling” take:

Next season we may have to replace a ton of guys. DL will be Q, JJ, Clemons and then we need to bring in a bunch of guys. What if JJ and Clemons are average. Need to replace Mosley and find another LB. May need to replace whitehead. Rodgers could be gone. WRs could be GW and Lazard. Will the TEs be here, and what if Ruckert doesn’t progress. Than the OL. Becton, Brown, Laken could be gone and our 2023 picks have to work out. 

Basically, we could have huge turnover in 2024 and be out of a 1st from the Rodgers trade. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

As of now though we have picks 13, 42 and 43. So how exactly have we hurt that building through the draft philosophy?

Even if we trade 43 and a conditional pick in 2024 for AR... we still have 2 high picks. So we don't have a 3rd rounder? That stops us from building through the draft still?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

As of now though we have picks 13, 42 and 43. So how exactly have we hurt that building through the draft philosophy?

Even if we trade 43 and a conditional pick in 2024 for AR... we still have 2 high picks. So we don't have a 3rd rounder? That stops us from building through the draft still?

Winning with guys like Rodgers, OBJ, Lazard feels different than Zach, Elijah, Garrett, Denzel. Not necessarily complaining but just like “we won, yay” vs seeing the homegrown kids leading the charge after all these years.

Its like getting the woman of your dreams with another man’s life lol.

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Winning with guys like Rodgers, OBJ, Lazard feels different than Zach, Elijah, Garrett, Denzel. Not necessarily complaining but just like “we won, yay” vs seeing the homegrown kids leading the charge after all these years.

Its like getting the woman of your dreams with another man’s life lol.

Wilson is the big hold up in that. Of course it would've been great if he improved like TLaw did. But he didn't. In fact he if anything too a step back and with better weapons. So ya we could run it back with Wilson and see if something clicked for him. But pretty sure it's never happened where a guy went from worst starting QB in the league to franchise QB.

I look at it as we cant waste another season with Zach as starting QB. It'd likely cost JD and Saleh their jobs for starters and we're on a 12 year playoff drought. WE have to do something. And putting faith in Wilson to lead that would be foolish.

Now when we're likely getting AR. That changes a lot of things. It not only puts us likely in the playoffs, but also hunting for a SB. So the energy changes to win now with some moves. OBJ I wouldn't even consider if we weren't getting AR. Lazard I liked even if we weren't getting AR, so happy there.

So we likely replaced an older often injured WR in Davis (assuming he's traded or cut) with Lazard who is bigger, stays healthy and is younger all while having a connection already with our likely QB. Replaced our depth WR and ST guy with a younger, faster and cheaper version of him.

Moore I can get the being down on that part. But he's a guy that's best games as a rookie were without Wilson at QB, so there was no connection there. Is a me 1st player which 100% isn't qualities JD likes in a player. He already showed winning doesn't matter to him when he threw his tantrum last year. That showed us and JD who he is. So while it looks like we lost in the trade value wise... I'll let it play out.

Wilson should still be our star WR. Nothing changes that with Lazard and Hardman. I'll still stand by that I think he gets 1,400yds+ and 7tds+ if we get AR.

And Mims was never going to be featured this season. He's a depth piece for us. He's been a disappointment for sure. But he hasn't earned more snaps in his starting opportunities.

I choose to look at it more optimistically. And how AR can take GW to that elite WR level that no way Wilson was going to do. Open up the field for Hall to have holes to run the ball bc teams have to respect the pass against us. How Becton, AVT and possibly a rookie C can all benefit from being around AR. Creating that winning culture even of for just a year or 2.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Wilson is the big hold up in that. Of course it would've been great if he improved like TLaw did. But he didn't. In fact he if anything too a step back and with better weapons. So ya we could run it back with Wilson and see if something clicked for him. But pretty sure it's never happened where a guy went from worst starting QB in the league to franchise QB.

I look at it as we cant waste another season with Zach as starting QB. It'd likely cost JD and Saleh their jobs for starters and we're on a 12 year playoff drought. WE have to do something. And putting faith in Wilson to lead that would be foolish.

Now when we're likely getting AR. That changes a lot of things. It not only puts us likely in the playoffs, but also hunting for a SB. So the energy changes to win now with some moves. OBJ I wouldn't even consider if we weren't getting AR. Lazard I liked even if we weren't getting AR, so happy there.

So we likely replaced an older often injured WR in Davis (assuming he's traded or cut) with Lazard who is bigger, stays healthy and is younger all while having a connection already with our likely QB. Replaced our depth WR and ST guy with a younger, faster and cheaper version of him.

Moore I can get the being down on that part. But he's a guy that's best games as a rookie were without Wilson at QB, so there was no connection there. Is a me 1st player which 100% isn't qualities JD likes in a player. He already showed winning doesn't matter to him when he threw his tantrum last year. That showed us and JD who he is. So while it looks like we lost in the trade value wise... I'll let it play out.

Wilson should still be our star WR. Nothing changes that with Lazard and Hardman. I'll still stand by that I think he gets 1,400yds+ and 7tds+ if we get AR.

And Mims was never going to be featured this season. He's a depth piece for us. He's been a disappointment for sure. But he hasn't earned more snaps in his starting opportunities.

I choose to look at it more optimistically. And how AR can take GW to that elite WR level that no way Wilson was going to do. Open up the field for Hall to have holes to run the ball bc teams have to respect the pass against us. How Becton, AVT and possibly a rookie C can all benefit from being around AR. Creating that winning culture even of for just a year or 2.

Losing out in TLaw was crushing. The Jets had to win that last game. Man this team would great for years with TLaw under center, but oh no had to get that bum Wilson with pick 2. I wanted to trade down so bad. This team would have had a ton of picks.