2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Few things to think about regarding OBJ. His ego is real, but playing with AR will keep him in check. He plays better, when the QB throwing to him as earned respect (Manning and Stafford). He has a desire to play with AR and AR has a desire to play with him.

He likely gives us a discount bc he wants to play with AR and wants to win. I still stand by that the base of his salary is around that 5-8mill range and the rest is incentives. Smart move would be to make those incentives games played not stat driven to keep his me attitude out of the way. Make his attitude to be out there playing and contributing. He’s not a #1 War anymore. But he doesn’t have to be here. We have that in Wilson, but ideally we get everyone involved. Having a Davante Adams is great. But listening to GB fans… they said ARs biggest knock in clutch situations was not spreading the ball around. That when it came to clutch times he’d just want to throw to Adams. So having 3-4 good WRs to have AR not just look one way in big situations I think will be great for us.

And lastly for those worried about OBJs injuries… it’s real. But let’s not forget come week 1… he’ll be nearly 20 months removed from his surgery. We’re doing a full health check on him Monday to make sure he’s 100%. So he’s not exactly a guy fresh off an injury. He’s as fully healed as a guy can get. His film in LA pre injury is the guy I think we’re getting.

I find it funny how JD says "Aaron Rodgers will ber here." then boom OBJ comes in tomorrow for a physical and everything. OBJ is guy who want sto win it all. We final have that team that these vets who have a few good years in to come here and make a run with a great young core. This is what you want. OBJ will sign a 1 year deal around 11 mill I think. This team is shaping up for the run. should be a great year and maybe a good long run too. 

I can’t help but believe this is a a Woody offseason.  Move like Hardman, Schweitzer and Castillo are JD moves. Rodgers, Lazard and the talk of OBJ stink of Woody’s involvement. I do not think JD on his own entertains them.  I will not be shocked if JD resigns after the season.

This has been a bad offseason. Mark my words. 

2 hours ago, xrade said:

I can’t help but believe this is a a Woody offseason.  Move like Hardman, Schweitzer and Castillo are JD moves. Rodgers, Lazard and the talk of OBJ stink of Woody’s involvement. I do not think JD on his own entertains them.  I will not be shocked if JD resigns after the season.

This has been a bad offseason. Mark my words. 

For sure. Woody’s hands are all over this off-season but that’s the price of an owner who listens to the media and fickle fans and has the desire to make headlines.

10 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

For sure. Woody’s hands are all over this off-season but that’s the price of an owner who listens to the media and fickle fans and has the desire to make headlines.

I can understand Woody's desire to get an established QB.  We have tried the draft thing and failed for years.  Even JD mucked it up with the Wilson pick.  It was obvious to everyone that a decent vet was needed.  However, the idea of going after Rodgers and only Rodgers gave Woody a woody.  This then led all the other BS associated with this ****show.  I think if Woody just ordered JD to get an established vet QB, Carr or Jimmy G would be a Jet.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/04/10/ny-jets-wr-options-obj/

Good breakdown of what some of our options could still be if we are in fact still trying to upgrade at WR. Not sure if we were only looking into WR bc we traded Moore and thought we’d get OBJ for 1/2 the price of what BAL gave him. Or if we for sure actually still want to add a WR. We do luckily still have Davis. So we have aren’t with this huge hole. But for sure if we’re truly going all in for a year or 2 run. Would like to see us upgrade from Davis.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I can understand Woody's desire to get an established QB.  We have tried the draft thing and failed for years.  Even JD mucked it up with the Wilson pick.  It was obvious to everyone that a decent vet was needed.  However, the idea of going after Rodgers and only Rodgers gave Woody a woody.  This then led all the other BS associated with this ****show.  I think if Woody just ordered JD to get an established vet QB, Carr or Jimmy G would be a Jet.

Douglas is a smart guy, I don’t think he needed direction from Woody at all to right the ship. My issue was it seemed the only solution was “Get a vet QB” and everything would just magically be fixed.  Woody said it multiple times in interviews and I’m just thinking to myself like dude you really don’t watch this team or don’t know what you’re watching. OL still a mess, we changed OCs but did we really upgrade, receiving room is meh behind Garrett(who only cares about getting the ball), Running Back room needs another piece because Hall won’t do much until week 1 so we don’t know what he’s knee looks like. 

Defense should be fine if some of the young guys take steps but we play way better offenses this year than we did last year. 

I think a lot of opinions on this team are basing the Rodgers addition to last years team but this is a whole new season with new challenges and obstacles. I just feel like it’s gonna end in disappointment with the all the hype it’s generated.

9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

OL still a mess

Which is why I liked the two under-the-radar signings.  The problem with the OL is we just don't know if it still a mess.  One camp thinks Becton and Brown will play and play well while having Mitchell in reserve.  I am in the prove-it-to-me camp.  All three are coming off injury.  Becton hasn't played in two years.  Brown is 38.  Mitchell may or may not ever play again.  I'd hate to spend big on OT if all three are capable of playing at a high level.  However, lets at least play it safe and spend a FRP or SRP on OT.  At this point, I'd rather have too much than too little.  And since it seems like too little has been the modus operandi over the last few years, lets hedge our bets.

18 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

receiving room is meh behind Garrett

I think we are good at WR as it stands right now.  Garrett is our defacto number 1 and will get most of the targets.  Hardman is replacing Berrios/Moore.  Lazard and Davis may play both X and slot.  Then there is Conklin and his 87 targets and 58 receptions.  Add in the RB targets and I think we are good.  Another high draft pick WR will only create one more mouth to immediately feed.  I'd prefer to wait until next year and see what our QB room will look like as well as how our receivers do this year.

Overall, I think getting that vet QB puts us in playoff contention but not in SB contention.  Not yet.