2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

30 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Cimini had posted Rodgers splits when under pressure vs clean last year and they weren’t great. I know some said because he’s good he knows to get the ball out but he obviously struggled with that last year. We really need to get this offensive line in order. I know we have 3 top 43 picks but right now the OL is likely gonna hold this team back. 

Pretty easy with best Tackle and Center available. And then we can also lean on the run game. It’s not sexy but it’s smart. And if we trade for him after the draft we still have another 2nd to take a great defensive player. 

57 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I don’t need to explain anything. The proof is in his pouting, demeanor and post game words. But again excuse it because he’s a good player.

Got it, you gathered from a few frustrating post game comments when Zach was sailing balls over his head, the offense couldn't get anything going, and we were on a losing streak that all he cares about is getting the ball.

44 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Pretty easy with best Tackle and Center available. And then we can also lean on the run game. It’s not sexy but it’s smart. And if we trade for him after the draft we still have another 2nd to take a great defensive player. 

My concern is if we draft OT at 13, where does he play?  Do we bench Brown?  Not great to have #13 just sitting.  I guess if Tomlinson struggles they can bench him but not sure they will bench Brown for a rookie.  Ideally the rookie is great and Brown is good playing a reserve roll but if everyone is healthy #13 might not see the field.  Good problem to have but a problem none the less.

Everyone being healthy seems laughable after what happened last year though.

20 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

My concern is if we draft OT at 13, where does he play?  Do we bench Brown?  Not great to have #13 just sitting.  I guess if Tomlinson struggles they can bench him but not sure they will bench Brown for a rookie.  Ideally the rookie is great and Brown is good playing a reserve roll but if everyone is healthy #13 might not see the field.  Good problem to have but a problem none the less.

Everyone being healthy seems laughable after what happened last year though.

Brown should be insurance. 
Rookie-Laken-Rookie-AVT-Becton

Ideally we get Ben Jones to start and ease the rookie center in. But that would give us solid depth especially Brown and Mitchell at the Tackle spots. I can’t see Brown starting if we draft a rookie. And not drafting a rookie we are now risking our entire OL on guys who have not been able to stay healthy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Brown probably asks for releasing him.

Yes this is very well might happen. I don’t know much about Brown and his ego, but not sure he will accept a backup role. For me we can’t be drafting a backup OT at 13. If Becton is healthy he starts. Is a rookie starting over a healthy Brown is the thing. A way to address that is drafting a guy at 13. And post June 1st tell Brown the rookie is starting. He then he can decide if he wants to stay as a backup and 1st man up at LT or RT. But it would be a waste IMO to draft that rookie OT at 13 and bench him all season. We need to win now .

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes this is very well might happen. I don’t know much about Brown and his ego, but not sure he will accept a backup role. For me we can’t be drafting a backup OT at 13. If Becton is healthy he starts. Is a rookie starting over a healthy Brown is the thing. A way to address that is drafting a guy at 13. And post June 1st tell Brown the rookie is starting. He then he can decide if he wants to stay as a backup and 1st man up at LT or RT. But it would be a waste IMO to draft that rookie OT at 13 and bench him all season. We need to win now .

The rookie would still need to earn the job, though as I see it, we badly need the depth. So having a talented rookie waiting in the wings isn't such a bad thing when our current LT has yet to make it more than two games in two seasons and the runner-up is super old.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

The rookie would still need to earn the job, though as I see it, we badly need the depth. So having a talented rookie waiting in the wings isn't such a bad thing when our current LT has yet to make it more than two games in two seasons and the runner-up is super old.

In general yes. But when we made the decision to go all in for a year or 2 with Rodgers. You can’t be drafting backups at 13. If that were the case we should have just traded GB 13 already and had this trade over and done with. Point being that in a regular team build... drafting a young OT even if they’re a backup for a year isn’t bad at all. But when you’re all in. You can’t draft that backup there. Need at least a guy that will play 50% of the snaps.

So if we do go OT at 13 that guy needs to be the starter. If Brown cant handle that he's the backup to the rookie and Becton. Post June 1st cut him.

16 hours ago, xrade said:

How about cut him?  Post June 1 saves $9.7M.

I guess but then we are thin again at OT which is counter productive.  I hope he's good collecting a pay check on the bench but who knows with these egos.  The best thing would be for the rookie to be a stud day 1 and Brown do some swing tackle stuff for us.  Again not sure he'll want to do that.

My point was when you draft a guy at 13 it's not for a backup role so it's a problem if Brown wants to play.  The other option is RG if Tomlinson struggles move AVT back to the left and slot #13 in at RG.  Tomlinson is cuttable after this year so if he doesn't get back to average guard play than we should bench him.

Brown, AVT, Jones, #13, Becton

Having that flexibility to play OG or OT could get #13 enough snaps since it's very unlikely all of the OL is the same week 1 as it is week 17.  

I love me some JSN but I think a guy with positional flexibility like Jones makes the most sense since he can play OG or OT.  If any OT or OG goes down he is plug and play.  AVT can play multiple positions as can Becton LT or RT so we can shuffle if a guy or two goes down for a short period of time.  As old as Brown is he's still an average LT when healthy.  I think his below average play was the shoulder more so than a natural decline.  I still think he can play at a starting level so it's not just removing him for poor play like it could be for Tomlinson.  It would be a switch just because of age and draft status which I don't think Saleh would do.

As much as I want to see JSN and Wilson paired together for the next 10 years going OL is the smart play and JD is a smart man.

17 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

At this point I think we may keep Corey Davis.

Sign Ben Jones, bring back Kwon Alexander. 

I agree.  I think maybe we add Woods in there as well and draft a OL at 13.  

Assuming one 2nd goes for A-Rod I think the other could go a variety of ways (TE, WR, S, ILB, C).  Lots of talent on the board at those spots in round 2.

I'm fine with Becton, Brown and Mitchell. I would rather sign a vet T that is cut in June than add a rookie at 13. The pick 13 should be a starter not a depth guy. Give me the best Center in the draft if your going OL at 13 or the best G. Remember AVT can play T too. I personal want Carter of he is there. I would not mind a trade down and get Campbell from Iowa for the LB we need. Heck even Branch would play more and start for this team.