2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

On 4/10/2023 at 3:15 PM, Rockice_8 said:

Got it, you gathered from a few frustrating post game comments when Zach was sailing balls over his head, the offense couldn't get anything going, and we were on a losing streak that all he cares about is getting the ball.

Yes actual proof from his on the field antics and post game comments not just nonsense to build a narrative against him. Moore was the same way. Just because a player is good doesn’t mean y’all have to ignore certain traits.

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yes actual proof from his on the field antics and post game comments not just nonsense to build a narrative against him. Moore was the same way. Just because a player is good doesn’t mean y’all have to ignore certain traits.

Every WR wants the ball. And isn’t happy when they’re not. And fact is, is that we were a better team, the more GW got the ball. He wasn’t wrong. 

I don't think OT is an issue if we drafted one at 13. The chances of Duane Brown starting 17 games at LT are extremely remote. The chances of Becton starting 17 games opposite him are even less likely. Brown is probably playing his final NFL campaign, too. AND, if that were the case, chances are we are a strong Super Bowl contender. 

I think everybody here will be comfortable with 4 solid OT options. We currently have three. I am not counting Vera-Tucker because he should be used at tackle only in an emergency. 

So really the question becomes, do we draft an OT at 13? Do we trade down to the 20s and draft one? Do we draft one at 42 or 43? 

It would be shocking if we did not pick an OT by pick 43. 

8 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I don't think OT is an issue if we drafted one at 13. The chances of Duane Brown starting 17 games at LT are extremely remote. The chances of Becton starting 17 games opposite him are even less likely. Brown is probably playing his final NFL campaign, too. AND, if that were the case, chances are we are a strong Super Bowl contender. 

I think everybody here will be comfortable with 4 solid OT options. We currently have three. I am not counting Vera-Tucker because he should be used at tackle only in an emergency. 

So really the question becomes, do we draft an OT at 13? Do we trade down to the 20s and draft one? Do we draft one at 42 or 43? 

Yes I think a OT will be picked in the top 3 picks. 

13 Peter Sko

42 Jack Campbell

43 John M. S.

Battle would be my next pick after these 3. I think this is how it falls to the Jets. 

9 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Brown can be cut post June 1st. So we draft an OT. We should go to Brown and tell him he’ll be battling for a starting OT spot. Being he’s a vet and deserves respect…. We should tell him this and say it’s up to him what he wants to do. Battle for the spot and might be a backup. Or do you want to be cut post June 1st. 

On 4/11/2023 at 4:48 AM, Bobby816 said:

In general yes. But when we made the decision to go all in for a year or 2 with Rodgers. You can’t be drafting backups at 13. If that were the case we should have just traded GB 13 already and had this trade over and done with. Point being that in a regular team build... drafting a young OT even if they’re a backup for a year isn’t bad at all. But when you’re all in. You can’t draft that backup there. Need at least a guy that will play 50% of the snaps.

So if we do go OT at 13 that guy needs to be the starter. If Brown cant handle that he's the backup to the rookie and Becton. Post June 1st cut him.

It blows my mind that you're expecting a healthy Brown and Becton over 17+ games.

On 4/11/2023 at 10:38 AM, jetfuel34 said:

I think the Jets have a good idea if Becton can play and be a starter by now. He can play and be a starter no problem. He will be at least average. Becton problems came from him being so heavy. His knees will be fine. I think Becton is the LT week 1 and Brown RT. You then have Mitchell as yiour backup and AVT will be the emergancy guy. This is why I said add a vet in june 1 cuts. 

Brown has never played RT in his life, you got that one mixed up.

Again, we'd be fools to make the same mistake two years in a row.

Edited by jetjuice

On 4/17/2023 at 6:41 PM, Jag68Sid87 said:

You take a guy at 13 because that's your best shot at a top player at the position and someone you'd expect to hold it down for 10+ years for us once Brown retires after this year.

38 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

It blows my mind that you're expecting a healthy Brown and Becton over 17+ games.

Brown has been one of the most durable OTs over his time in the league. His play last year gets torn up bc he played through injury. A healthy Brown is an above average OT. Becton I understand not being able to trust him. But fact is... is he's healthy right now and in shape and hungry. Maybe even in a contract year as well. And we know how guys who battle injury magically stay healthy in their contract year. And we do have Mitchell who was a project and needed to just add size. Actually played WAY better than what most of us thought when forced into action. I imagine he comes into camp bigger and stringer and is at least a good backup.

As I stated I do think we go OT at 13. But going WR there and going OT at 42 or 43 isn't then end of the world.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Brown has been one of the most durable OTs over his time in the league. His play last year gets torn up bc he played through injury

Kind of contradictory here.  Regardless, he will be 39.  His injury plus age would make putting faith in him a foolish gesture as a starting OT.

Becton I understand not being able to trust him. But fact is... is he's healthy right now and in shape and hungry.

I am sure someone said something like this last year.  Fool me once......

But going WR there and going OT at 42 or 43 isn't then end of the world.

So we draft someone in the first round at what is our deepest position group and hope Becton and Brown and Mitchell are average to above average OT's on this team?  WR is the last option I'd draft in round 1.  We are not yet ready to draft BPA.  Maybe next year if we ever get a QB.

Just now, xrade said:

Kind of contradictory here.  Regardless, he will be 39.  His injury plus age would make putting faith in him a foolish gesture as a starting OT.

I am sure someone said something like this last year.  Fool me once......

So we draft someone in the first round at what is our deepest position group and hope Becton and Brown and Mitchell are average to above average OT's on this team?  WR is the last option I'd draft in round 1.  We are not yet ready to draft BPA.  Maybe next year if we ever get a QB.

We include Davis in a trade r cut him and we have a WR opening. So JSN wouldn't be a bad pick. Fact is is whoever we draft at OT whether it's at 13, 42 or 43 isn't going to be given the starting job. They'll have to battle for it. Against Becton and Brown. So that could be a debate as to why waiting for OT at 42 or 43 might be beneficial. Bc let's say we draft JSN at 13. He's without question our starting slot WR. Can't say that with any OT. Only way I OT is guaranteed a starting job is if Brown doesn't want to compete for a starting job against a rookie and asks to be released.

I do at the end of the day think we go OT at 13. And that's what I want us to do. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We include Davis in a trade r cut him and we have a WR opening. So JSN wouldn't be a bad pick. Fact is is whoever we draft at OT whether it's at 13, 42 or 43 isn't going to be given the starting job. They'll have to battle for it. Against Becton and Brown. So that could be a debate as to why waiting for OT at 42 or 43 might be beneficial. Bc let's say we draft JSN at 13. He's without question our starting slot WR. Can't say that with any OT. Only way I OT is guaranteed a starting job is if Brown doesn't want to compete for a starting job against a rookie and asks to be released.

I do at the end of the day think we go OT at 13. And that's what I want us to do. 

I hear you on the OT thing.  I just see too many people clamoring for JSN.  Its like needing a pick 'em up truck for work and coming home with your second Ferrari.  I swear some fans know nothing about FB and just like shiny fast things.

I thought Lazard would be slot?

Just now, xrade said:

I hear you on the OT thing.  I just see too many people clamoring for JSN.  Its like needing a pick 'em up truck for work and coming home with your second Ferrari.  I swear some fans know nothing about FB and just like shiny fast things.

I thought Lazard would be slot?

Lazard works best at Slot but he can play outside depending on playbook and 3rd down situation where he should be above average receiver.   Rodgers gets comfortable with Lazard because Lazard works hard to meet Rodgers' expectation.