2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

35 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Wow Mayer was behind McDonald and ahead of Broderick on our board. And JD guessed Pitt (or someone) would trade up with NE to get Jones. 

I would have liked that pick.  I think Mayer is going to be an awesome TE as I stated last year.  The vitriol on this board would also have been quite entertaining.

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I love watching the behind the scenes draft process. I wish we could get in that room!

Still baffles me how guys who “don’t like football” and think “nutrition and training don’t have an impact” can get drafted high. 

Those sounds bites were probably my favorite part, would love to know who they were referring to.

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I love watching the behind the scenes draft process. I wish we could get in that room!

Still baffles me how guys who “don’t like football” and think “nutrition and training don’t have an impact” can get drafted high. 

Which is why I love what our GM prioritizes. I honestly can't even bother with Jets twitter anyone. The majority of this fanbase are absolute morons. "They edited the clip!" "What has Joe Douglas done." Fans act like this guy is supposed to be 100% perfect with every pick lol. We went from 3 GMs who could not draft at all, to a guy who at the very least prioritizes insane athleticism and a passion for the game. Maybe this has taken longer than we wanted, but Joe Douglas is HIM.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Which is why I love what our GM prioritizes. I honestly can't even bother with Jets twitter anyone. The majority of this fanbase are absolute morons. "They edited the clip!" "What has Joe Douglas done." Fans act like this guy is supposed to be 100% perfect with every pick lol. We went from 3 GMs who could not draft at all, to a guy who at the very least prioritizes insane athleticism and a passion for the game. Maybe this has taken longer than we wanted, but Joe Douglas is HIM.

I'm gonna be so pissed off if the Jets move on from this current structure and GM/HC combo. I think they get it.

I knew that JD did not like these T. He even knew that the trade with pitt would happen. The funny thing is the Pats should have gotten a 3rd instead they went and got a 4th and lost value and the Jets still got their guy. This T class suckes. We have been spoiled with some great T coming out. I think that train will slow down now. I'm SOOOO happy they passed on Mayer the TE. I hate TE in the first AND SECOND round. No TE should ever go that high. I have see WAY to many bust to like 3 or 4 hits. The only TE that makes an inpact is Kelce. T.J H. has had too many games where he did not show up and Kittles has faded. You can go all the way back to Vernon Davis who was suppose to be the TE of all time and never really was a game changer. Then you always have the Pitts, Howard, and so many others that NEVER show up. McD was the one to get. JD should be the GM of this team until he wants to leave on his own. Saleh on the other hand better get his head out of his rear and start to coach. I am still not happy how many times he was out coached. If he goes I'm fine with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

No TE should ever go that high. I have see WAY too many bust to like 3 or 4 hits. The only TE that makes an inpact is Kelce.

In terms of bust rate in the first round, TE is historically the fourth safest position behind OC, S, and OT. DL was the third riskiest position to draft in round 1. I guess it all depends on what you define as a good TE. Kelce is not a TE. He is a Y receiver.  He rarely stays in to block. If that is your defining trait of what a TE should be, I doubt you will ever like any TE. I prefer a TE that can play in-line, slot or Y. He can block as well as run routes. He will never be the leading receiver but will make the play when asked to. In other words, I prefer a more traditional TE rather than a large WR with a TE designation. Mayer fits that bill and I think he will be regarded as a great all around TE in a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

In terms of bust rate in the first round, TE is historically the fourth safest position behind OC, S, and OT. DL was the third riskiest position to draft in round 1. I guess it all depends on what you define as a good TE. Kelce is not a TE. He is a Y receiver.  He rarely stays in to block. If that is your defining trait of what a TE should be, I doubt you will ever like any TE. I prefer a TE that can play in-line, slot or Y. He can block as well as run routes. He will never be the leading receiver but will make the play when asked to. In other words, I prefer a more traditional TE rather than a large WR with a TE designation. Mayer fits that bill and I think he will be regarded as a great all around TE in a couple of years. 

You are right. I think TE is as important as a punter. I would rather have an extra WR out on a route or an extra T to block. Oh by the way Kelce can block well too. 

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

You are right. I think TE is as important as a punter. I would rather have an extra WR out on a route or an extra T to block. Oh by the way Kelce can block well too. 

Not saying Kelce can’t block, he is just rarely asked to.  The skills that a TE has that a a WR or OT don’t have is the ability to block OR run a route. It keeps the D on their toes.  I kind of liked when Jumbo Elliot lined up at TE inside the 5. Is he blocking or going out?

Like many positions, TE has morphed into a two man role. A “move” and a blocking TE. I’m not a fan.  As for picking a TE in the draft, it is not a position I would take over most, but make no mistake, most OC’s love the idea of using a TE. JD seems to like them. Belichick gets wood over them. But if fans are expect a TE to be a prolific receiver like Kelce or Gronk, they will be disappointed in most draft choices.