2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Did we know JFM had core surgery this offseason? Apparently he had a foot issue last year as well and sounds like he’s going into the year much healthier. 

I had no idea on this. I do think the new turf will cut down on the injuries. This team was beat up bad last year with all the injuries. I hope we can have one year with little to no injuries.

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I had no idea on this. I do think the new turf will cut down on the injuries. This team was beat up bad last year with all the injuries. I hope we can have one year with little to no injuries.

He said he broke his pinky toe first game of the year and was playing with his foot numbed for a few games. I was very critical of him after getting paid, but never realized how banged up he was. 

7 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

He said he broke his pinky toe first game of the year and was playing with his foot numbed for a few games. I was very critical of him after getting paid, but never realized how banged up he was. 

A real football player would have just lopped his toe off during halftime. I miss the Ronnie Lotts of the gridiron. 

19 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

I have no problems with this. This is about what I figured he would get about 4 year 100 mill so it was a little less which is good for the team. He was a stud last year and when he was not in you could tell that D was diffrent. He is no Aaron Donald but he is just as import to the Jets as Donald was to the Rams. I say was because I don't think his heart is in it any more. He talks about getting done and the injuires are adding up. The Rams are going to be a mess for a long time with dead money and over priced vets on the team. 

In 2021 our DL was one of the most overrated units in the league. In 2022 with the breakout of Q and some added pieces it was much better.  In 2023 I think it has potential to be up there with Philadelphia.

2021 had Shaq Lawson starting, JFM was playing full time, not rotating, Huff was solid off the bench and then it was who Ronald Blair and Jabari Zuniga?

2022                                   2023                

starters

Lawson          <<            healthier Lawson

Q                     =                  Q

Rankins          >                 Thomas

JFM               <                healthy JFM

bench

Huff              <                 more snaps Huff

JJ                 <                  more snaps and experience

Shepherd     <                Jefferson

Thomas        <               Woods

Clemons       <              Clemons

Martin          <<<   McDonald

Doesn't all line up but this has a chance to be an incredibly deep unit.  JJ may even start on edge while JFM moves around.  Jefferson is a better pass rusher than what we've had.  Woods is solid against the run.  Clemons will move inside too.

Well, the preseason is upon us, and its interesting to see the storylines opening up on what the Jets will do, record, Rodgers having lost his mojo, etc. 

Its all crazy, as in let me remain relevant until the season starts, so I'll just put out, possible trades, playing scenarios, injury scenarios, etc.

With all that being said, there are a few "real" storylines to follow, perhaps none more important than what will the impact be of 2nd year players and this years draft class.

I think we can all agree that we have a undying hope that Breece returns to form and if that is the case, adding a guy like Israel A. will be a windfall and killer 1-2 punch.  So RB is a real and pressing preseason competition to keep an eye on.

Now we can all see the elephant in the room which is the O Line, and in particular M.B., the line has the potential to be good and could morph into being exceptional. But this is not so much an under the radar story line.

But we can look at the DE/PR  position and wonder if our first rounder will  have an immediate impact and give the Jets a big time boost and a player the opposing OL will be forced to account for or will he be a gadget player like Huff who only sees the field sporadically and in specific PR needs.

Same could be said of Johnson, does he transition to a major threat and take the next step putting the Jets PR into elite status. Not to leave out Carl Lawson and considering next year is a contract year. Can Carl put together a double digit sack total and become a force in the league turning potential into results?

We all know Q is the backbone of our D, and we know Al Woods value as a run stuffer, but the under the radar storyline is none other than Michael Clemens.

Clemens I thought after last years draft was an absolute steal, and he was, he was a force, not only that but he played well all over the field. 

I think Clemens could catapult the Jets D line into a top 3 defense. He put on weight 290 and the guy is lean and mean, and his motor does not stop. 

Clemens could be the storyline for the entire season for the defense, regardless he must be accountable by the opposition and that in and of itself is telling. So having a top Q, Clemens, Woods, Myers, along with Thomas, and Jefferson. Throw in our young PR and it is a most formidable defensive front in the NFL.

Sauce is a no brainer, and not much of an under the radar storyline, or the secondary for that matter.

Same could be said for Rodgers, he is a headline grabber, and cannot be considered a under the radar story

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Well, the preseason is upon us, and its interesting to see the storylines opening up on what the Jets will do, record, Rodgers having lost his mojo, etc. 

Its all crazy, as in let me remain relevant until the season starts, so I'll just put out, possible trades, playing scenarios, injury scenarios, etc.

With all that being said, there are a few "real" storylines to follow, perhaps none more important than what will the impact be of 2nd year players and this years draft class.

I think we can all agree that we have a undying hope that Breece returns to form and if that is the case, adding a guy like Israel A. will be a windfall and killer 1-2 punch.  So RB is a real and pressing preseason competition to keep an eye on.

Now we can all see the elephant in the room which is the O Line, and in particular M.B., the line has the potential to be good and could morph into being exceptional. But this is not so much an under the radar story line.

But we can look at the DE/PR  position and wonder if our first rounder will  have an immediate impact and give the Jets a big time boost and a player the opposing OL will be forced to account for or will he be a gadget player like Huff who only sees the field sporadically and in specific PR needs.

Same could be said of Johnson, does he transition to a major threat and take the next step putting the Jets PR into elite status. Not to leave out Carl Lawson and considering next year is a contract year. Can Carl put together a double digit sack total and become a force in the league turning potential into results?

We all know Q is the backbone of our D, and we know Al Woods value as a run stuffer, but the under the radar storyline is none other than Michael Clemens.

Clemens I thought after last years draft was an absolute steal, and he was, he was a force, not only that but he played well all over the field. 

I think Clemens could catapult the Jets D line into a top 3 defense. He put on weight 290 and the guy is lean and mean, and his motor does not stop. 

Clemens could be the storyline for the entire season for the defense, regardless he must be accountable by the opposition and that in and of itself is telling. So having a top Q, Clemens, Woods, Myers, along with Thomas, and Jefferson. Throw in our young PR and it is a most formidable defensive front in the NFL.

Sauce is a no brainer, and not much of an under the radar storyline, or the secondary for that matter.

Same could be said for Rodgers, he is a headline grabber, and cannot be considered a under the radar story

I think McDonald is going to surprise a lot of people this year. i said this about Sauce last year. McDonaid getting 10 sacks would not be a surprise to me. This guy is going to be a Jason Taylor type guy. We might even have back to back DROY award on the Jets. The DL with Q and the others is only going to leave McD 1 on 1 and he will wins those a lot of the time. The biggest question is does he get enough PT. I think he cuts in Lawson time a lot by the end of the year and plays very well in the playoffs. I am also intersested in how Zach Wilson will do with AR in town. How will Zach do in the preseason. Deep down maybe he can find his way to be the QB of the Jets. I have my doubts but at some point you will see a young QB that gets drafted high plays soooo bad they just put him way down on the depth chart. Then years later he comes back and tears it up. That story has not been written yet but maybe we could have it here. 

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Jets informed Denzel Mims they are waiving him

I wish they would have moved him for a pick. I was never happy with this pick at all. He will be out of the league in a year or 2. He can not seperate and his rout running is pretty poor. 

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Will McDonald and Joe Tippman signed their contracts today, no camp holdouts great.

Now, I would like to bring back Kwon Alexander.  And they still might sign Dalvin Cook. 

I saw this too so I'm pretty excited about it. Tippman is the starting C that has a chance to be the C for the next decade. I think he will be a pro bowl type of guy after a few years. McD I see as a beast. He is going to rack up sacks in this lead. You don't set the big 12 record for sacks and not do well in the NFL.