2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

5 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Watching some video of Will McDonald, he is going to be a good pass rusher. He has a nasty spin move, he has freakish athletic ability to bend the corner and uses his hands well. He will be the best pass rusher we have had since John Abraham. 

This DL is so deep and talented, it's going to be interesting especially if the offense can give us leads unlike last season. 

Joe Tippman looked really good as well, he might not start day 1 because they seem to want to go with the veteran. But he seems like he will have a bright future and be a long term starter. 

McD going to be really good. I think JD got a steal here. I like how the Jets are building for the future. All we need to do is land a rookie QB that can sit a year or 2 behind Rodgers and step in. 

Tippman is going to be really good too. I think he starts week 1. 

All I hear is Brownlee this and Brownlee that. He dropped a few balls the other day. 

Zach is trash. I would love to see the Raiders give a second or third round pick for him. Jimmy G can't throw deep he is done. 

I'm so pumped for this year. 

14 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

All we need to do is land a rookie QB that can sit a year or 2 behind Rodgers and step in. 

And therein lies the Jets Achilles heel. We have been searching for a QB since Joe Willy. Sure, we’ve had some teasers like O’Brien and the Chad but the reality is that we have not drafted a true franchise QB since 1965. That is 58 years. It obviously is not easy.

The 2024 draft is the perfect time to draft one. As you state, he will get to sit and learn behind one of the best. Not drafting a QB at the top of the first round makes it easier to allow him to sit and learn rather than feeling pressured to start him day 1. Here is the sand in the anal lube though, will JD do just that or will he keep hoping Zach can be salvaged and pass? My guess is that he will draft a day 2 QB while continuing to develop Zach. When the time comes in 2025 or 2026, open competition. This assumes Zach is willing to take a team friendly prove it deal.

As an addendum to the above, I am assuming the OL is finally straightened out by then.

21 hours ago, xrade said:

And therein lies the Jets Achilles heel. We have been searching for a QB since Joe Willy. Sure, we’ve had some teasers like O’Brien and the Chad but the reality is that we have not drafted a true franchise QB since 1965. That is 58 years. It obviously is not easy.

The 2024 draft is the perfect time to draft one. As you state, he will get to sit and learn behind one of the best. Not drafting a QB at the top of the first round makes it easier to allow him to sit and learn rather than feeling pressured to start him day 1. Here is the sand in the anal lube though, will JD do just that or will he keep hoping Zach can be salvaged and pass? My guess is that he will draft a day 2 QB while continuing to develop Zach. When the time comes in 2025 or 2026, open competition. This assumes Zach is willing to take a team friendly prove it deal.

As an addendum to the above, I am assuming the OL is finally straightened out by then.

100% agree. I think Quinn Ewers is a good one that can be had in the 4th-6th round. Now if he comes out and blows it up things could change but I think him and Daniels from LSU I like in the later rounds. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

100% agree. I think Quinn Ewers is a good one that can be had in the 4th-6th round. Now if he comes out and blows it up things could change but I think him and Daniels from LSU I like in the later rounds. 

It's obviously super early but every mock draft I've seen has Ewers going in the top 20. I think there are a lot of people that really believe he's going to explode this year. 

The issue is do you trust this franchise to draft a QB?  If they draft a developmental talent, do you trust them to properly develop them?  I am iffy about all of that because it ain't happened yet.

The positive side of this is that it seems like we now have a decent plan for attempting this.  Good mentor in place (AR), a GM who recognizes the need of a good OL, good young weapons.  Now it is all about finding that college QB who can be developed.  Us fans need this FO to find us the next TB, Russ, Dak.  Then we need the coaching staff to properly train him.

• Like 1

Reading the room re Becton and I think he still has serious maturity/attitude issues. I've been in his corner, but my optimism that he'll ever amount to something here is fading. 

Taking a look at what's unfolded this offseason:

• Tell-all interview blaming the Jets coaching staff for his injury last season
  • Takes to social media voices his frustration, "I.AM.A.LEFT.TACKLE"
  • Pulls himself from last week's preseason game before hitting his expected snap count (I would bet this had more to do with his ego, playing with reserves, than it did any physical limitation)
  • Sounds like he's playing strictly with the 2s this week in Carolina
  • Saleh's comments the other day sound like he's frustrated / believes Becton is holding back "I'd like for him to push as far as he can"

3 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Reading the room re Becton and I think he still has serious maturity/attitude issues. I've been in his corner, but my optimism that he'll ever amount to something here is fading. 

• Pulls himself from last week's preseason game before hitting his expected snap count (I would bet this had more to do with his ego, playing with reserves, than it did any physical limitation)
  • Saleh's comments the other day sound like he's frustrated / believes Becton is holding back "I'd like for him to push as far as he can"

To piggy back on this topic, La Cranfora said he is a stiff.  Take it with a grain of salt as it is just his opinion, but Saleh also did not rule out AVT to RT.  We'll see come Saturday against Carolina how the starting OT's hold up.  Becton needs to gut up and start pushing himself or he will never be a starter at any position and thus never get that big time contract.

On 8/11/2023 at 7:31 AM, NJC33 said:

Becton and the Jets can’t wait to be done with each other 

23 hours ago, xrade said:

To piggy back on this topic, La Cranfora said he is a stiff.  Take it with a grain of salt as it is just his opinion, but Saleh also did not rule out AVT to RT.  We'll see come Saturday against Carolina how the starting OT's hold up.  Becton needs to gut up and start pushing himself or he will never be a starter at any position and thus never get that big time contract.

Brown-Tomlinson-McGovern-Tippmann-AVT?