2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

18 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

BB did it several times last year with Zappe and Jones.

Did it really help the Patriots?

He should have moved to White weeks before and stayed with White. That is Saleh choice not the OC.

IIRC, he was going with White until he got hurt, then Wilson had to come back in.  Lets not forget that after the Denver game we were 5-2.  You do not make a change at QB no matter how bad he looks.  As you state, W's are what matters.  Even after losing Hall and AVT we were 7-4 heading into December.  When was the last time that happened?  After the second NE game, White was brought in at QB and we lost to minny.  White was then knocked out of the Buffalo game because McGovern blew his assignment.  Wilson had to come back in a proceeded to suck even more.  The change was made at the right time but an injury forced Saleh's hand.  Moving to White when the team was winning would have been poor coaching.

Like I said this is the year Saleh has zero excuses now and better step up. If the Jets lose these close games by wasting timeouts and poor clock work that is him 100%. 

Agreed, but claiming he is not a good HC BEFORE those things actually happen is a bit harsh.  I'll say it again, whether or not Saleh is a good HC has yet to be determined.  He now has a talented QB.  Teams do not win without a talented QB regardless of the HC.

On 8/31/2023 at 12:59 PM, xrade said:

Does that extend to Belichick as well?  I"m not saying whether or not Saleh is a good or bad coach.  We have had **** QB play and a **** OC.  It will make anyone look bad.  Saleh did not cost us games, the team did. Was Saleh calling the plays when we were inside the 5  during the Minny game and could not score?  I guess that makes Saleh a bad HC.

As for mistakes, name one HC who has not made them, especially in his first two years.  The one criticism I do have is the way Mims was treated.  Once he got in the doghouse, he was never getting out.  Seems like Bobby can hold grudges.

In my previous post I asked for specifics.  Do you or Jetfuel have any?  It is a genuine question because I have not seen the mistakes that were game changing.  What did I miss?

A poor carpenter blames his tools.

Saleh made several mistakes. Poor time management in a few games, communication issues leading to losses.

Not even trying to bag on him but the whole blame this person thing is kind it flawed. MLF could be a better OC with a better QB and HC, Zach would be a better QB with a better HC and OC. It takes a village ultimately is what I’m saying. We had 3 first timers all working together it was bound to get ugly for all of them and it did. 

For the first time, I don't see a position group that I think will be a problem. The OL will have it's challenges until the chemistry is set, but I feel like we're at least average in every group. 

I honestly don't think I've been this hyped about guys we have developing from the bench and PS before. Barnes, McCrary-Ball, Kuntz, Dean, Caleb Johnson, JBC, and others. We added Swoboda and he wasn't bad this preseason. I think they all have a shot to make an impact through rotation or starting eventually. 

On 9/1/2023 at 9:21 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

A poor carpenter blames his tools.

A saw with no teeth does not cut. A drill with no bit does not bore. A ruler with no numbers does not measure.

I think tools can be blamed in certain instances. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Should we start a new thread for League talk?

Fields sucks.  Imagine we drafted him, he gave us hope, and we didn't go after Rodgers?

Yup that is calle fools gold. I still think some how some way A. Manning will be a Jet in a few years. I just don't understand why these GM's draft a guy that has poor ball placement. Anthony Richardson thought it was cool to keep running until boom he got hit had just before the GL. These guys are bigger faster and stronger than you think. Look at Lamar now. He can't throw either and it was a very close game. These running QB's will never make it to 30-35 in the NFL. Mariota use to try and run a lot too and boom. Tannehill is bad too. He never had good ball placement. 

I think the bright side is, Rogers will not have a shoulder or neck/elbow injury this year that will severely hamper his arm strength going into next season. If he rehabs the leg well, the arm should still be there after little wear and tear aside from aging. So if they can get the O-line fixed, they'll have a punchers chance next year depending on who's under contract. Both Wilson/Sauce probably need extensions though after this year. I was in the camp of trading for Cousins, but the offense is so bad overall, aside from a couple of game breakers, that it won't make a huge difference who the QB is. They desperately need a dominant performance against NE next week. I would still consider trading for an OT that can be on the roster for at least a couple of years. Zona is the only team that is well out of it this year, and no other team should be a seller just yet.

8 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Only thing that makes me feel good.  Bears' qb Justin Fields doesn't have it.  Bears had solid free agency signing but they don't make good result.  

We need to be more like the 49ers and realize we made a mistake and cut bait. They’d rather have Sam Darnold as their backup. Douglas and Saleh just can’t admit to themselves that Zach is a bust.

20 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

We need to be more like the 49ers and realize we made a mistake and cut bait. They’d rather have Sam Darnold as their backup. Douglas and Saleh just can’t admit to themselves that Zach is a bust.

Also, they managed to get rid of Trey Lance.