2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

Gary Kubiak is a very real chance, connections with the coaching staff and is a master of the offense we want to run. 

Jets definitely need a proven guy offensively, our coaching staff looked lost. Even though we were decimated by injuries, no excuse for scoring 0 TDs in the last 3 games.

Biggest issues I see.

Jets need to land a proven veteran QB who can help this team make the playoffs next season.

We need to fix this OL, this OL is terrible.  I am not writing off Becton completely yet, he looks like he lost a lot of weight and said he will be healthy for OTAs. If he is motivated, I am not writing off a comeback season for him. But I wouldn't throw it all on him, definitely need insurances.  

AVT returning is a big gain as well, the OL went to trash when we lost him.  The 2 biggest losses we had were AVT and Breece Hall.

Its hard to win football games when you are averaging  under 2 YPC running the ball.

Defense we have some key FAs. Rankins, Quincy, Kwon. We'll see what happens. Q wants to get paid as well. 

The thing I like is that the team struggled with and without Zach. It avoids this false perception of how close we truly are. Makes us have to get that additional offensive mind and improve our staff while also bringing in competition at QB and not relying on Zach, career back ups and old man Flacco. This was much needed in the grand scheme of things because of in love people became with Mike White. This was a reality check for sure. 

7 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

What are the odds that we don’t resign Quinnen and trade him? Douglas didn’t exactly sound committal 

I think the Jamal Adams debacle has him a little gun shy about telling reporters he's definitely signing a star player. Remember he said Jamal was gonna be a jet for life. 

Edited by Mattmanz

I've been looking over Derek Carr's season and past, I'm officially on the wagon. 

* What he was doing 4 seasons before McDaniels was hired was around Jimmy G's best season. I don't like JM and I think he's the most overrated coach in the league currently. So a drop off this season makes me look at the coaching. 

* He's durable. Played at least 15 games every season. 

* He has his flaws, but he's getting you yards with a good TD/INT ratio every season no matter who is around him. 

* Since he has been in the league, the defense have never been in the top-15. Since 2017, the Raiders has had a bottom-5 defense. Carr has had to do a lot for the Raiders to stay in games over the years. Him being on a team with a good defense will give him a chance to win more. Imagine trying to outscore teams like the Chargers and Chiefs with a bad defense. 

* There is a chance that this year was a fluke for Carr. We could get the 2019-2021 version of him. 

• Like 2

It looks like the Jets are going after 3 QB's to some reports. They are Jimmy G, Carr and Lamar Jackson. The Jets really want Jackson and is their number 1 target. Some reports say it will be a tag and trade deal. If they miss on Jackson I want Carr next then Jimmy G. I think I would take Baker over Jimmy G. 

16 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I’m going out on a limb. We don’t get Lamar(stays with Ravens), Carr or Jimmy G.

We settle on Tannehill. 

Tannehill looks like he’s in the midst of a decline to me. But it would definitely open up a window for ZW to get back on the field next year, so I can see it.

I think Carr is their first target, then Jimmy. LJ would be a huge mistake and they deserve everything bad that will happen to them if they do it.

Edited by GangGreen420

Just now, GangGreen420 said:

Tannehill looks like he’s in the midst of a decline to me. But it would definitely open up a window for ZW to get back on the field next year, so I can see it.

I think Carr is their first target, then Jimmy. LJ would be a huge mistake and they deserve everything bad that will happen to them if they do it.

Carr has to be first because of the trade window. The thing with him is I think between the compensation and salary you kinda have to make him QB1 as you’re not gonna spend a quality pick and 40M or whatever it is in cap space to “push Wilson” but Carr just doesn’t do it for me with all that in mind. Especially since he’s awful in cold weather.

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Carr has to be first because of the trade window. The thing with him is I think between the compensation and salary you kinda have to make him QB1 as you’re not gonna spend a quality pick and 40M or whatever it is in cap space to “push Wilson” but Carr just doesn’t do it for me with all that in mind. Especially since he’s awful in cold weather.

I don’t want anything to do with Carr either. I don’t think he will handle the NY media/pressure well at all. The cold weather thing is a big concern especially since we will be playing in Buffalo if we ever make the playoffs and go anywhere. I have a hunch he’s going to Tennessee.

I think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed in the end. Jimmy is probably the most realistic of them. He’ll get hurt at some point which will also open up another chance for ZW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

I don’t want anything to do with Carr either. I don’t think he will handle the NY media/pressure well at all. The cold weather thing is a big concern especially since we will be playing in Buffalo if we ever make the playoffs and go anywhere. I have a hunch he’s going to Tennessee.

I think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed in the end. Jimmy is probably the most realistic of them. He’ll get hurt at some point which will also open up another chance for ZW.

Jimmy will have a bidding war as well between Vegas, Houston, maybe Tennessee and us. The connections for him around the league are plentiful. 

10 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The thing I like is that the team struggled with and without Zach. It avoids this false perception of how close we truly are. Makes us have to get that additional offensive mind and improve our staff while also bringing in competition at QB and not relying on Zach, career back ups and old man Flacco. This was much needed in the grand scheme of things because of in love people became with Mike White. This was a reality check for sure. 

I don''t think a lot of people realized how bad our OL was. When you go into games averaging under 2 YPC, that is a huge issue on the OL. Yeah, it seemed like teams knew what plays we were running which falls on Mike LaFleur, but this OL was pathetic. RBs constantly got hit in the backfield. 

When AVT and Breece Hall went down injured, our season went down the drain.  AVT was a difference maker on the OL, without him they lost a all pro talent on the OL. Hall obviously was a difference maker at RB, he was carrying us to 5-2 when he was playing. We had a strategy of playing defense and running the ball well, when he went down we had no run game and had no ability to throw the ball. 

We need to be better on the OL, it makes all the difference in the world having a good OL. In ways we got really unlucky with all the injuries we had, but it seems like a yearly thing that the Jets suffer tons of significant injuries that cripple the team. We happened to lose the guys we couldn't afford to lose. 

I am not going to completely write off Becton coming back strong next season, he looks like he is finally focused and lost weight ready to hit the offseason hard.  But I also would not bank everything on him, but if he was to come on strong and win a starting job, he has difference maker talent at OT.