2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm struggling with the idea of JD being fired if we don't make the playoffs.

We're just coming away from one of the best draft classes I've ever seen. If Hall stayed healthy and JJ was a full-time starter, we're talking 2 picks contending for OROY and 2 picks contending for DROY. That is amazing. If JD pull a good vet QB and hits on another draft class, he should be safe. We'll just need new coaches. He has a chance to correct his misses this offseason. 

But then you can just as easily point to his 2020 draft and the ZW pick. The team under him has less wins than under Mike McCagnan. He’s definitely a better GM but we are in QB hell and there is no results yet.
He can easily cement himself this off-season draft but he can also get himself firmly on the hot seat. 

if he fixes the QB situation hopefully it turns around and it’s not a discussion. You also have to account that if Saleh fails, by all accounts the coaching hire was up to Douglas.

Edited by GangGreen420

Our defense finished ranked 4th. That’s with our offense not scoring or moving the ball to keep them off the field more. Hard to not think they might be the best in the league with a top 15 offense on the other side of the ball.

Get a new QB and beef up that OL please. Becton and AVT back obviously is big. But need to sure up at least 1 more spot.

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm struggling with the idea of JD being fired if we don't make the playoffs.

We're just coming away from one of the best draft classes I've ever seen. If Hall stayed healthy and JJ was a full-time starter, we're talking 2 picks contending for OROY and 2 picks contending for DROY. That is amazing. If JD pull a good vet QB and hits on another draft class, he should be safe. We'll just need new coaches. He has a chance to correct his misses this offseason. 

How many losing seasons do you wanna give JD before putting some pressure on him? One good draft class does not absolve him from a 13-37 record since taking over as GM. Pressure in 2023 is warranted. We need to finish next year with a winning record, there's no more excuses. He had the cap space, he had the premium draft capital, he had the crack at a franchise QB. Results must follow soon.

Edited by jetjuice
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

But then you can just as easily point to his 2020 draft and the ZW pick. The team under him has less wins than under Mike McCagnan. He’s definitely a better GM but we are in QB hell and there is no results yet.
He can easily cement himself this off-season draft but he can also get himself firmly on the hot seat. 

if he fixes the QB situation hopefully it turns around and it’s not a discussion. You also have to account that if Saleh fails, by all accounts the coaching hire was up to Douglas.

You're right about the Wilson pick, but he has a chance to pick up a good QB this offseason. As far as the record, his first year was with a coach he didn't pick. It starts with Saleh. 

If he picks up a good vet QB, we're no longer talking about Wilson and we'll have a good offense for the first time in years. I'll say if he doesn't come away with a good enough QB, then put him on the hot seat. There are too many options potentially coming up for him not upgrade the position. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

How many losing seasons do you wanna give JD before putting some pressure on him? One good draft class does not absolve him from a 13-37 record since taking over as GM. Pressure in 2023 is warranted. We need to finish next year with a winning record, there's no more excuses. He had the cap space, he had the premium draft capital, he had the crack at a franchise QB. Results must follow soon.

Just mentioned this in my previous post. That first year shouldn't count because it wasn't with a coach he picked. So I'm not looking at that record the same way. Everyone wanted to blow up the roster, so he did. He got players we can build around now. He did miss on Wilson, but he has a chance to correct it this offseason. If he doesn't come away with a upgraded QB, then I'm putting him on the hot seat. As of now, I can't put him there. 

50 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Agreed, though I’ve always tended to be more of a results person. I’m sick of hearing about progress and patience and how close we are. There are too many teams around the league turning it around in a season or two while we continuously spin our tires. Enough already.. find a QB, win in 2023 or get out.

Edited by GangGreen420

Hopkins on the trade block and wants a new deal. Wouldn’t dislike trading for him and cutting Davis and Berrios. So it’s not a hit to us cap wise too much. Would for sure help attract a QB in FA as well. Would be great for GW and Moore to learn from one of the best this last decade. While still being great.

I’d be for it. Probably bc he’s 31 and will need a new deal the value won’t be crazy high on him either. Maybe a 3rd could get it done. A 2nd I’d even do.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Hopkins on the trade block and wants a new deal. Wouldn’t dislike trading for him and cutting Davis and Berrios. So it’s not a hit to us cap wise too much. Would for sure help attract a QB in FA as well. Would be great for GW and Moore to learn from one of the best this last decade. While still being great.

I’d be for it. Probably bc he’s 31 and will need a new deal the value won’t be crazy high on him either. Maybe a 3rd could get it done. A 2nd I’d even do.

Quentin Johnson at 13 works too.

9 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

The win percentage needs to increase but we’ve won games with a very young team.

The Macagnan teams won games early on but it was full of vets who we knew could do a job for a year or two.

JD is trying to build a consistent team with a young pipeline of talent through the draft. So far so good. The Zach Wilson pick stings can’t get away from that. He’s also had some of his top picks have devastating season ending injuries (Becton, AVT, Breece) 

We need to follow up last year with a VERY successful draft but also we need more from FA. We’ve shopped in the bargain bin far too often under JD. Not really had much success in FA under him. DJ Reed being the only clear success at this stage. 

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

They got him for a second didn’t they?! He’s now two years older and wants a big contract so I think a 3rd may be enough. Would love him here with GW on the other side. 

5 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Hate this so much if true. Whatever happens needs to be Saleh and to an extent Douglas’s call. If they wanna roll with LaFleur let them.

Agree entirely. Woody should gtfo and then the decision carries consequences for Saleh and Douglas if it goes wrong. Nothing worse than meddling owners.

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Our defense finished ranked 4th. That’s with our offense not scoring or moving the ball to keep them off the field more. Hard to not think they might be the best in the league with a top 15 offense on the other side of the ball.

Get a new QB and beef up that OL please. Becton and AVT back obviously is big. But need to sure up at least 1 more spot.

Our top priority going into the off season was the O line, but that has all change because of the huge gap we have at the QB position. All I hear is pick up this player or that player or draft this guy or that guy to solve the QB position this is going to be a HELL of a lot harder & costly than people think.

just as a side note, nobody has been more critical of Wilson than me, but I would have started him is the last Miami game, we would have everything to gain and nothing to loss. If he beat Miami, his value would have gone up.