Titans Off-Season News

KingTitan

7 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

and when's the last time he played at anything even remotely close to MVP level? if the way his career has trended isn't concerning to you then i'm not sure what to even say.

They've still had the 6th best offensive DVOA when he's played the last 2 years.

20 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

and when's the last time he played at anything even remotely close to MVP level? if the way his career has trended isn't concerning to you then i'm not sure what to even say.

I mean, the trend is him still carrying a bad supporting cast to an effective offense the last two years even when he’s not 100%. They win and their offense is good when Lamar plays despite a receiver situation identical to ours and no Derrick Henry.

Though admittedly, I’m  open to the idea that him coming to probably a worse supporting cast might be tough. 

If you want to say you’re hesitant to go all in based on injuries. I guess I get it. Especially with our OL. But if you’re expecting us to go out and find a better QB than Lamar Jackson via FA, trade or draft over the next couple years, you’re setting yourself up for massive disappointment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I mean, the trend is him still carrying a bad supporting cast to an effective offense the last two years even when he’s not 100%. They win and their offense is good when Lamar plays despite a receiver situation identical to ours and no Derrick Henry.

Though admittedly, I’m  open to the idea that him coming to probably a worse supporting cast might be tough. 

If you want to say you’re hesitant to go all in based on injuries. I guess I get it. Especially with our OL. But if you’re expecting us to go out and find a better QB than Lamar Jackson via FA, trade or draft over the next couple years, you’re setting yourself up for massive disappointment.

i think you just have a much higher opinion of him than i do, then. for me, he's in the "non-elite QB you can win with" category, albeit near the top of it, with the kirk cousins of the world: guys who are talented and effective but also limited. i'd rather take a shot at drafting a guy like that on a rookie deal than eat up all of our cap space and still have a crap offense around lamar. seems like a better way to actually have a shot at winning something.

woudnt have a problem getting Lamar.. the ravens have held him back since he won that MVP.. the league has caught up to that offense... Steve young on MNF countdown had an interesting point about him.. He said he thinks that offense is holding him back and that FOR EXAMPLE, if you   put him in the chiefs  offense were he didn't have 20 designed qb runs a  game, but could play a more traditional  style, that he could be just as   explosive.. the ravens got lazy and  didn't evolve their offense... let Lamar go to a team that    doesn't utilize his legs so much and watch him take off.. similar to mike Vick when he went to the eagles. the falcons held him back after a while because they  wanted the excitement of what he could do with his legs.. once he got  to the eagles and a more traditional passing offense, and his speed diminished, he actually became one of the best PASSING QBs in the league for a few years..

and before someone gets on here and says you can't make that comparison about him being better on the chiefs than the ravens.... Andy Reid was the coach that morphed Vick into a complete passer and his best form when he was with the eagles..and hypothetically, could do the same IF he were on the chiefs..

Edited by Airness McNairness

3 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Got to say guys, if we’re at the point where a former MVP with a career 100-30 TD to INT ratio that also happens to be the best rushing QB in NFL history and is a couple months removed from his 26th birthday with a record of 45-16 isn’t a good enough option at QB to aggressively invest in, I’m really starting to understand the Tannehill hate lol.

I know he is a good NFL starting QB. I just still have doubts about him being worth everything it will take to get him. 

Is he gonna be as good as he was the last few years, 2-4 years from now. 

Have we seen the best of him?

And the football romantic in me wants to develop our own guy opposed to getting someone like that. Felt the same about when we went after Manning. 

I'd welcome him if we got him, but I'm more than fine without him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airness McNairness said:

woudnt have a problem getting Lamar.. the ravens have held him back since he won that MVP.. the league has caught up to that offense... Steve young on MNF countdown had an interesting point about him.. He said he thinks that offense is holding him back and that FOR EXAMPLE, if you   put him in the chiefs  offense were he didn't have 20 designed qb runs a  game, but could play a more traditional  style, that he could be just as   explosive.. the ravens got lazy and  didn't evolve their offense... let Lamar go to a team that    doesn't utilize his legs so much and watch him take off.. similar to mike Vick when he went to the eagles. the falcons held him back after a while because they  wanted the excitement of what he could do with his legs.. once he got  to the eagles and a more traditional passing offense, and his speed diminished, he actually became one of the best PASSING QBs in the league for a few years..

and before someone gets on here and says you can't make that comparison about him being better on the chiefs than the ravens.... Andy Reid was the coach that morphed Vick into a complete passer and his best form when he was with the eagles..and hypothetically, could do the same IF he were on the chiefs..

You wrong, go watch Michael Vick a Football life on NFL network, the falcons didn’t hold vick back, Vick held himself back. He said he was the last 1 in the building 1st to leave, say it again the last to enter 1st to leave, the QB. Vick told his former coach he didn’t watch film at all, & would leave practice & toss his playbook & film they gave him to watch at home on the backseat of his car. Vick admitted to not being a student of the game & thought he could win with his god giving talent, an was arrogant by his own ego. Yes andy Reid morph Vick into a passing QB, by that time he was out of jail, humbled,& wanted a 2nd chance after having his dream stripped from him. The difference between Vick & lamar, Vick is by far a better thrower of the football. He always had arm talent & could throw he just wasn’t a student of the game & didn’t care for playing the game from the pocket. The ravens haven’t evolved their offense why because they play towards lamar strength he’s not a QB that can beat coverage with his arm, throw WR’s open throw with anticipation great with ball placement, he’s good at RPO’s play action intermediate throws. 

Edited by TitanRedd

4 hours ago, 615finest said:

It’s only right that we get Lamar since the Ravens ended up with McNair. Can’t write a better script lol

That does make it more sweet. lol

But I'd just want someone more developed as a pocket passer opposed to the running threat being his biggest weapon. 

10 hours ago, -Hope- said:

i think you just have a much higher opinion of him than i do, then. for me, he's in the "non-elite QB you can win with" category, albeit near the top of it, with the kirk cousins of the world: guys who are talented and effective but also limited. i'd rather take a shot at drafting a guy like that on a rookie deal than eat up all of our cap space and still have a crap offense around lamar. seems like a better way to actually have a shot at winning something.

Yeah, I mean it just comes down to a difference in where we’d place him. I’d have him between the Mahomes tier and the Tannehill/Cousins tier. Top 8 QB in football or so. 

Now, whether we could provide a quality supporting cast or have a coach willing to maximize talent by blending aspects of our existing offense with the Ravens offense is another question entirely.

59 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

That does make it more sweet. lol

But I'd just want someone more developed as a pocket passer opposed to the running threat being his biggest weapon. 

Yea, I feel this is where I stand too. I ultimately just want us to go young in the draft.

I have concerns with Lamars ability to throw, especially when it comes playoff time(and if anyone can see that, it sure is Vrabel). I just don't see Lamar coming here a reality also, for a number of reasons. Too much unknown about how last year ended. I don't think Lamar would vibe with Vrabel honestly. It wouldn't be some love fest like he is getting from Harbaugh.

11 hours ago, -Hope- said:

I truly think the best way to win is to have an average to above average QB on a rookie deal, with a more complete team around them.

So that mean drafting a rookie that can be at least average and of course hope he can be Manning, Mahomes, Brady etc.  

But most likely, the odds say he will likely be an ok to pretty good QB. Like the Browns I think could have kept Mayfield and still been a good team I think. 
Then there are others like Rosen, Darnold that were going to be not good. But maybe different situations lend to different results. 

I know we won't this year, since we are out of range apparently, but drafting one of those guys and building around them is likely the best path.  So next year, we must draft a QB in the first that we have faith in. 

The hope is when it's time to pay them, the player has improved to the point where it doesn't take a whole lot around them to still be good.

• Like 1

Lamar is a good QB, and almost certainly an upgrade over Tannehill, but his last couple of years haven’t been inspiring, and making a big move for a QB into his career who looks like he may not be as good as he once was in the middle of a soft rebuild won’t get me excited. I won’t be mad if it happens, but I won’t be happy either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Lamar is a good QB, and almost certainly an upgrade over Tannehill, but his last couple of years haven’t been inspiring, and making a big move for a QB into his career who looks like he may not be as good as he once was in the middle of a soft rebuild won’t get me excited. I won’t be mad if it happens, but I won’t be happy either.

Pretty much where I’m at. I don’t really like Lamar, especially long term. And with the money he’s going to cost and the draft capital included, it’s probably a real bad idea. Rather use that draft capital to move up and take a QB.