Titans Off-Season News

KingTitan

13 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

A team would absolutely trade for Ryan Tannehill. It’s insane to think otherwise. The Saints literally just offered a third for a worse QB on a worse contract.

Not that it matters. Beyond going all-in on a rookie QB when we don’t have the supporting cast to actually support, Tannehill will be our starting QB in September with a cap hit in the $20-25 million range.

That's my line of thinking.  I think a team absolutely would trade for Tannehill, but they absolutely wouldn't trade enough for us to be able to move up for Stroud without mortgaging a supporting cast in exchange.  A third rounder or fourth rounder isn't going to allow us to replace him with anything not worse, so doesn't really seem like a great idea, unless they're willing to potentially sink with Willis.

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That's my line of thinking.  I think a team absolutely would trade for Tannehill, but they absolutely wouldn't trade enough for us to be able to move up for Stroud without mortgaging a supporting cast in exchange.  A third rounder or fourth rounder isn't going to allow us to replace him with anything not worse, so doesn't really seem like a great idea, unless they're willing to potentially sink with Willis.

Yup. The only interest I have in replacing  Tannehill is if we are going after a young guy with franchise potential, in which the Tannehill trade would have almost no bearing on the haul required to move up for Stroud or Young. 

Or if we just straight up embrace a tank year, spend this offseason rebuilding the OL and WRs with the hope of giving a rookie QB an ideal cast in 2024. Though this is the least likely of all options.

Absolutely no interest in trading Ryan so that we can chase a different mid-tier veteran QB.

• Like 3

I'm just not sure of the wait to try to find a QB until we have a stronger roster.

There is risk with every approach of course. I really think the best way to a better roster is finding that QB. I'm trusting that they do their research and if any of those top 4 are their guy, they do it. They don't sit and say well, we don't have a good RG right now, so might as well wait and hope next year we find a QB we equally like. 

I think it's a lot easier to find a OL you feel strongly about opposed to be in position to draft a top prospect QB you feel good about. 

Yes, not in favor of getting rid of Tannehill just to sign Carr or Mayfield. That to me says yeah we punting on the year. 

Overall, we’re kind of stuck. If the plan is to draft/trade up for a QB, you can’t have Tannehill eating up a big portion of the cap space. Because that money is needed to fix the OL, get a receiver and overall build an offense that won’t get a rookie massacred. But you also don’t want to restructure or extend him to lighten the cap hit and push money into 2024 and beyond. But you can’t trade him before the draft and force yourself into a situation where you desperately have to trade up with no backup plan beyond getting your targeted QB.

I guess this is where a guy like Jimmy G could come in. Given that he signed a 1 year deal last offseason and then got hurt again, you could theoretically move on from Ryan, sign Jimmy G as either a stop-gap or as competition for whichever rookie QB you can get, and still save some money.

I guess.

8 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Overall, we’re kind of stuck. If the plan is to draft/trade up for a QB, you can’t have Tannehill eating up a big portion of the cap space. Because that money is needed to fix the OL, get a receiver and overall build an offense that won’t get a rookie massacred. But you also don’t want to restructure or extend him to lighten the cap hit and push money into 2024 and beyond. But you can’t trade him before the draft and force yourself into a situation where you desperately have to trade up with no backup plan beyond getting your targeted QB.

I guess this is where a guy like Jimmy G could come in. Given that he signed a 1 year deal last offseason and then got hurt again, you could theoretically move on from Ryan, sign Jimmy G as either a stop-gap or as competition for whichever rookie QB you can get, and still save some money.

I guess.

You can trade Ryan whenever you want I think. Money might look different depending on the timing. But if you trade him before the draft, you only do that if you KNOW WITHOUT a doubt that you will get a QB that you like. 
I think the put their plan together for the offseason now and they know whether they want Ryan around or not. 
Hopefully, they won't just wing it and sees what happens. 
A less popular plan could be to move on from Tannehill, sign a bridge vet for cheaper and still draft your QB, while allowing yourself more room to get a few guys in FA while attacking other pieces in the draft. 

Maybe not moving from F to A in a select position group, but F to a C or B minus in a couple. 

But in short, yeah we are stuck. Keep Tanny, no way we lose more than 7-9 games. And we still in same position next year. 
I don't see this draft being so talent rich that we will just be like "OHHH I LOVE THIS ROSTER."  It's gonna take some risks and development. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't think too many are saying that as a universal truth.  They're saying that because the other option, right now, are really ****ty.

Well, I don't see the draft QB's at top as crappy options. I'll trust that if the Titans feel the same, hopefully they pull the trigger opposed to punting and trying to build the surrounding cast. 

Just now, KingTitan said:

Well, I don't see the draft QB's at top as crappy options. I'll trust that if the Titans feel the same, hopefully they pull the trigger opposed to punting and trying to build the surrounding cast. 

Well, if you don't think surrendering multiple firsts for Will Levis or Anthony Richardson are crappy options, then we have a fundamental difference of opinion.

Even Stroud isn't a fantastic prospect.  He's someone you need a strong team around to contend, and if we traded up for him, we would not have a strong team around him.  He comes out in 2021, he's probably the fourth QB taken.  And a lot of people would have put Fields over him.

43 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Well, if you don't think surrendering multiple firsts for Will Levis or Anthony Richardson are crappy options, then we have a fundamental difference of opinion.

Even Stroud isn't a fantastic prospect.  He's someone you need a strong team around to contend, and if we traded up for him, we would not have a strong team around him.  He comes out in 2021, he's probably the fourth QB taken.  And a lot of people would have put Fields over him.

Well, for Richardson or Levis, I'm not trading up personally. I'm not against taking them at #11. 

But yeah, it's well documented that you and I have different opinions of the QBs. lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...