Lions Vs Packers - Post Game Observations

Just Want A Title

The Lions deserve a lot of credit for pulling off the win in Green Bay.  They were thin in the secondary but they found ways, whether it was adjusting their defensive scheme or just creating more disruption with their front 7, to limit big plays and limit their TDs to a single score.  It wasn't a perfect game but they made big plays when it mattered.  That said:

Coaching:

- It seems like Dan Campbell improves as a head coach every week.  Declining the offsides penalty late forcing the Packers to immediately burn their second TO was pretty heady.  I give him credit for being patient and wearing the Packers down

- Aaron Glenn deserves a ton of credit for limiting big plays despite the issues in the secondary.  The Packers weren't able to capitalize when Mick Hughes went down.

- The screen and pitch-back late in the game took a lot of guts to call.  The called back TD with Jameson Williams was a really well designed play.  Some of the other parts of the offensive game plan didn't make sense to me.  The TEs didn't seem to be involved in the passing game very much despite the fact that the Packers were leaving the middle of the field open for attack.  

Offense:

- The O-Line had a really good game and seemed to wear the Packers down over the course of the game.  We still need an upgrade at RG and #3T but we have a really talented O-Line

- I am starting to see why the Lions are limiting the snaps for Jameson Williams.  He dropped a very catchable pass.  I know he is fast but he needs to be focused on becoming a complete receiver in the off-season

- The importance of Jamal Williams to our offense can't be over-stated.  I don't think we would be close to 8-9 without his tough running and TD production

- D'Andre Swift had pretty good game.  He wasn't electric but he showed good elusiveness and made some important chain-moving plays.  It will be interesting to see what happens in the off-season with him.  I think he has managed to salvage his career with the Lions

- Despite the fact that we have strong O-Line, we have to find a better swing-tackle/#3 tackle than Matt Nelson.  His penalty that negated the TD by Jameson Williams was horrible.

- Evan Brown is a good back-up guard but he was getting pushed around early today.  We could use an upgrade at RG in the off-season.

- The Lions throw a ton of out-routes to Amon Ra St Brown and teams have definitely caught on.  I don't understand why he isn't running a bigger variety of routes.  A double-move with that out-route would cause a lot of problems for defenses

Defense:

- James Houston may be a good situational pass-rusher but he was burned a coupe of times on on screen passes.  He pushed upfield too fast and failed to recognize the developing screen.  His sack production has been a real boost to the defense but he will be even more dangerous when he becomes a more complete player

- I hope the Lions are able to bring back John Cominsky and Isaiah Biggs.  They have been doing a lot great work this year.  Getting them inked to 2-3 year deals should be high on our to-do- list

- Aidan Hutchinson had a really complete game today.  He notched a sack and created pressure consistent.  He was also pretty good at helping limit the Packers run-game.  How much better will he be with a full off-season to focus on NFL football?  

- Jerry Jacobs has become a solid #2 CB.  However, if he is going to get better he needs to get the grabiness out of his game and focus on using his hands and arms to make a play on the ball.  Maybe he thought he was being "crafty" on the early penalty to Allen Lazard.  Those kinds of plays will continue to get flagged just like they did today

- Kerby Joseph was late on a couple of coverage rotations but he was really dialed in late in the game.  He showed tremendous range and good athletic ability.  He will be even more dangerous when we have CBs who can cover WRs without consistently needing safety help

- I don't know what happened with Amani Oruwariye.  That PI penalty was not great at all.  The Lions need to do some serious work at CB this off-season

- Alim McNeil had a really good game that resembled a lot other good games from him this year.  He tied up blockers and was very disruptive.  His play allows other players to make splash plays.

- The good and the bad showed up with Alex Anzalone today.  He made a really good stop in the backfield on one play.  However, he was also making a lot of drag-down tackles.  He has played really well this year but he is physically over-matched too often

Special Teams:

- Another week, another missed FG.  We can't go into next season with this kind of inconsistency with our kicker

Overall, this was a good win and a good way to end the best season we have hade in quite a while.  We still need significant talent upgrades at RG, CB, #2QB and #3OT.  Brad Holmes will have the salary cap space to add quality free agents for the first time along 4 picks in the top 63 selections starting with the #6 selection from the Rams.  I think the Lions are going to be a fun team to watch for the next 2-4 years.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 2

The thing for me (I’ve been following closely all season as a Hutch/Jamo/Ragnow and now Houston dynasty owner) is how well Hutch improved against the run with his patience as the season progressed especially the last two weeks. Exciting for his all around game. 

• Like 1

Coaching:

• I loved the all around game by this staff yesterday.  They way they had the team fired up even with not much to play for aside from finally being above .500 is an impressive feat.  The lateral call was insane and well timed.  The call to go for it on fourth instead of letting ARod get a chance to tie it will keep the players fighting for him and hopefully attract some free agents without having to overpay. 
  • Glenn turning this D around after a historically bad start is impressive.  Even with injuries he has found ways to slow teams down aside from the Panthers game.  I don't think he is going to be a high candidate for a HC job yet but he may get some interviews and blow someone away.  I hope he sticks around for one more year at least to see what we can do in a full season with this momentum and hopefully more talent at CB.  
  • Ben Johnson has had a great year but his ability to adjust and be consistent in all situations is still a little off IMO.  I also don't think there is any chance we lose him this year but I could be wrong.  Definitely have enjoyed watching him develop and that lateral design in that situation is pretty impressive. 

Offense: 

• We definitely have to resign Jamaal Williams.  I don't think it will be expensive given he will be a 29 year old RB albeit with not many miles on him.  But his leadership and attitude seems to be contagious.  His mic'd up last week and interviews this week have been gold and I would assume he is a priority this offseason.  I am sort of sad he passed Barry on the TD list for sentimental reasons but records are made to be broken and Barry did it in one less game. Swift has one year left on his contract and I assume we keep him to play that out and will make a decision on his long term future next year.  He is a great compliment to Williams but availability is key and he still struggles in that area.  
  • Goff needs to work on consistency in non-ideal conditions.  He is amazing in domes and at home, but very different accuracy wise outside.  I doubt he will but he should stick around Detroit for a while and work outside to figure out gloves, grips, handwarmers etc that can help him in these colder situations and playing with wind.

Defense:

• Hutch had a great game.  He was all over the place and with 2 more sacks on national TV, he may have caught Sauce in the DROTY race. Finishing the season with 9.5 sacks, 3 Ints, and 2 fumble recoveries while having one of the highest grades against the run and producing stops for rookies is impressive.  Will be fun to watch him develop. 
  • Kerby Joseph had another really good game against Rodgers.  He had 2 picks (even though one got called back) and another almost pick.  He definietly is best as a center fielder opposed to playing close to the line but creating turnovers is what he did at Illinois and carried over this year.  We will need to add some talent at S as I think Walker with the Achilles injury will take some time to get back and Elliot is a free agent so this is a spot that will be key to watch next year. 
  • Jacobs you mentioned had a great year and thats with not having any offseason.  Hopefully he stays healthy and develops more this offseason.  His return from injury is one of the coinciding moments with when this D turned things around.  He had a solid game as did most of the CBs although they did give up some plays.  They did hold Rodgers in check for the most part and kept us in this game.