Coaching changes coming? Update: JDR fired!

Humble_Beast

I don't really care for JDR, I thought he was a good hire at the time we got him. Hes an average coach, at the time of hiring, average was good. He was good for the culture of the organization.

Ive always felt, JDR would get us to a certain point, but wed need a real X and Os type to get us to playoff success. I think were we are at a point where JDR is what he is, the rah rah has faded, and now we need a guy to get us over the hump.

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Look at the massive change the Rams have gone through with Fisher(average as can be) and Sean McVay.

Good example. The Rams were the poster childs for underachieving talent for Fisher's tenure. That's how I feel about JDR's Raiders. Feel like as long as JDR is HC, we'll see the team underachieving and constantly frustrated by their shortcomings.

41 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Good example. The Rams were the poster childs for underachieving talent for Fisher's tenure. That's how I feel about JDR's Raiders. Feel like as long as JDR is HC, we'll see the team underachieving and constantly frustrated by their shortcomings.

But how confident are we that we'll get the next Sean McVay? A dude that literally mics in audibles to his qb after reading the defense from the sidelines? Or will we get a guy like Vance Joseph, Adam Gase, Ben McAdoo or Dirk Koetter? 

Personally i would be interested in Pat Shurmur or even Jim Schwartz. 

13 minutes ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

But how confident are we that we'll get the next Sean McVay? A dude that literally mics in audibles to his qb after reading the defense from the sidelines? Or will we get a guy like Vance Joseph, Adam Gase, Ben McAdoo or Dirk Koetter? 

Would be my top 2 choices if we fire JDR.

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

Ive always felt, JDR would get us to a certain point, but wed need a real X and Os type to get us to playoff success. I think were we are at a point where JDR is what he is, the rah rah has faded, and now we need a guy to get us over the hump.

The thing about JDR is that's what most thought he was when he was hired. It's working out pretty much exactly as envisaged, although you could almost argue that he's been a victim of his own success after last season. We won 12 games despite not really being a 12-win caliber team, and as a result it accelerated our expectations. This season has been an underachieving season, and when you contrast that with the overachieving in 2016, it makes this season feel even worse.

I'm 50/50 on retaining JDR. It would be a gamble to get rid, but if he is staying, I'd really like completely different co-ordinators as we'll go nowhere as things are.

25 minutes ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

That's the crapshoot part. This is why you pay GMs. To identify the leadership and makeup of coaches. And again, it's largely going to come down to talent and how well they work with the FO.

On that note.... Joseph, Gase,  McAdoo all were pathetic hires you could see coming a mile away IMO. Koetter I'm a little surprised with honestly. I thought he had what it takes. 

Really wish the Saints wouldn't have rebounded lol. Payton/Carr would have been a nice match

11 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Would be my top 2 choices if we fire JDR.

And here can be the trap. While I like both guys..... every year, we fall in love with the hot coordinator prospect and blind ourselves a bit. Shurmur and Schwartz would be in the "worth another look" category, but so was JDR so..... risky. I like them both as play callers. But are they head guys?

Peter King dropped a tidbit in his MMQ today about my erotic fantasy...

Last point to make: Jon Gruden might be interested in going back to the Raiders. I hear he loves Derek Carr and would like to see once in his career what he could do with a franchise quarterback. But I think it’s not likely Jack Del Rio gets fired.

Just mentioning this is the sports equivalent of edging to me.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Peter King dropped a tidbit in his MMQ today about my erotic fantasy...

Just mentioning this is the sports equivalent of edging to me.

Right....lol. If Gruden told Davis he'd coach the Raiders, Davis would kick JDR out the door so fast he'd go back in time. 

Archived