Coaching changes coming? Update: JDR fired!

Humble_Beast

Looks like JDR is about put Downing under the bus and for good reason. Its so obvious that we need to run the ball more when its working and Downing just refuses to run it 6.4 per carry today on 11 carries a much better average than passing yet we just kept doing, just zero self awareness!!!

https://twitter.com/RAIDERS/status/939971575985586176

The thing about Carr is he didn’t like Musgrave because Musgrave didn’t let him have as much control and wasn’t as approachable. Who cares? Musgrave got him paid. I say bring in the best guy possible and screw what Carr says. He says he’s about winning then show some humility and change what you do!

3 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I think Pagano and Downing are gone. I think JDR stays because Mark doesn’t want to pay two head coaches. JDR should be gone though.

I agree JDR will be given at least one more year. New coordinators are coming though. They have to.

I was keen previously to let Downing see out the year at least and see if he improves, boy was I wrong!!! He is just awful, absolutely awful. We should make an immediate change so we don't permanently damage Derek Carr.

With that, we do need to review after this season and I think it's clear that we've found what was ailing the D and that was primarily the former DC Ken Norton. To me at least, the defence against a good offence played pretty well and I'd be keen to see what Pagano can do with a full deck of cards - he's stuck with a system mid season and with players he didn't specifically draft to suit his style. IMO we need to keep Pagano at least next year, let him implement his own system and use the draft to get guys that suit his system to give him a fair chance - I think he could be a good one even though that is based on limited evidence.

Downing on the other hand is systematically dismantling our offence and making everyone unsure and draining confidence. We need to urgently get in a guy who can play to our strengths even if just for the last couple games. We should still be a big prize for an OC as we have talent in Carr, Lynch (who's been superb recently) and Coop and what should be a great OL. We have all the ingredients to be top 10 at least. Coordinators should be queing up.......... no more skimping, we should pay top dollar for a top coordinator.

I'd keep JDR on the proviso he lets the OC and DC work and keeps his hands out - though he may have something written into his contract of course - I wouldn't be so quick to can him as he has led us out of the mire and I think the players still respect him as he backs them.

11 hours ago, Nodisrespect said:

Looks like JDR is about put Downing under the bus and for good reason. Its so obvious that we need to run the ball more when its working and Downing just refuses to run it 6.4 per carry today on 11 carries a much better average than passing yet we just kept doing, just zero self awareness!!!

https://twitter.com/RAIDERS/status/939971575985586176

Thanks for the link! Agree with the comment.

I think JDR was right in his assesment, he was as blunt as he could be with the offence and making note of the poor tackling and third down issue without naming and shaming a specific player. It's clear and obvious what the issue is IMO and in fairness JDR didn't pull any punches with execution and the running game. Carr was almost too apologetic for my liking, taking all the blame on himself. He was poor but was far from the only problem, I hope he keeps his head and his confidence up as that seems to have taken a major hit from the way he's playing.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Thanks for the link! Agree with the comment.

I think JDR was right in his assesment, he was as blunt as he could be with the offence and making note of the poor tackling and third down issue without naming and shaming a specific player. It's clear and obvious what the issue is IMO and in fairness JDR didn't pull any punches with execution and the running game. Carr was almost too apologetic for my liking, taking all the blame on himself. He was poor but was far from the only problem, I hope he keeps his head and his confidence up as that seems to have taken a major hit from the way he's playing.

JDR has always been blunt when things are bad like this. He won’t put up with nonsense either so i could see a change in the offensive coordinator spot.

That’s just Carr’s style, he’s never going to call out his teammates, even in a vague sense. 

17 hours ago, NickButera said:

I agree JDR will be given at least one more year. New coordinators are coming though. They have to.

There is real blowout potential in these next three games. The Cowboys and Eagles games are also on primetime. If we get embarrassed like we were against KC, I kinda think Mark has to make a move. 

This team and coaching staff is trash. And the stench is starting to get worse so he won't be able to ignore it.

Jack del Rio is bad. When he accepted those 2 holding penalties yesterday late In game, you know he isn't a forward thinking coach. Than he been around league forever and can't get great coordinators to come work with him. 30 year old sean McVay can get a wade Phillips, we got ken Norton. 

Unfortunately, the Raiders are likely stuck with JDR another year. And honestly... you can chalk it up as a loss. The team will not go anywhere as long as they try to stay the course with JDR. So if you want an uninspiring news, it's this.... unless they fire JDR, this team is going to be a fringe .500 ball club for another season. 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Unfortunately, the Raiders are likely stuck with JDR another year. And honestly... you can chalk it up as a loss. The team will not go anywhere as long as they try to stay the course with JDR. So if you want an uninspiring news, it's this.... unless they fire JDR, this team is going to be a fringe .500 ball club for another season. 

I disagree with this. If he gets a good offensive coordinator and carr wakes the heck up. We can be better than that. We just aint having much success in playoffs with jdr leading this team. We will have another 3rd place maybe weak schedule next year. With a better defensive coordinator. With hopefully 2017 and 2018 2 top picks contributing. Hopefully. 

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

I disagree with this. If he gets a good offensive coordinator and carr wakes the heck up. We can be better than that. We just aint having much success in playoffs with jdr leading this team. We will have another 3rd place maybe weak schedule next year. With a better defensive coordinator. With hopefully 2017 and 2018 2 top picks contributing. Hopefully. 

Exactly.... so why continue on with him. You're the GM of the Raiders, ask yourself if Jack is the guy you win a championship with? If not, move on.

43 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly.... so why continue on with him. You're the GM of the Raiders, ask yourself if Jack is the guy you win a championship with? If not, move on.

While I agree whole heartedly, it’s not that easy. Money is a factor and if we did fire him, who’s the candidate you’re confident we can land to take us there? 

Archived