Hire Lovie Smith as assistant coach

BearsFanForever

3 hours ago, BearsFanForever said:

Now that the Texans have let go of Lovie, thoughts on bringing him back as a defensive coach or coach assistant

Would Lovie have any interest in that? This is the organization that fired him after a 10-6 season despite being our most successful HC since Ditka. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Would Lovie have any interest in that? This is the organization that fired him after a 10-6 season despite being our most successful HC since Ditka. 

While that is a low bar, I agree. Plus dude is over 60 and hasn't had a winning season since 2012 in the pros or college. Just go to commentating or retirement.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

As head coach, yes his record is not great, but this isn't the same organization that fired him after a 10-6 season.

10 minutes ago, BearsFanForever said:

As head coach, yes his record is not great, but this isn't the same organization that fired him after a 10-6 season.

But what would be the motivation to bring him back, and why would he want to come back in a lesser capacity than what he served while he was here?

Lovie had 3 years left on his deal.   This isn't like a player deal where they have outs.  That has to be paid.  

If you take another job that new salary often mitigates what former employer owes you depending on how contract reads.   They may have a payout provision in case of firing.  

So taking another gig when you are already being paid and it gets subtracted would essentially be working for free from a point of view.   

A lot of times guys will do something light to stay relevant, but nothing with a heavy work load or hours.   

That is unless they can get another lateral move, than they take it rather than sitting out and being out of sight out of mind.  

Lovie isn't likely to get another HC gig.  He was already an after thought for Texans last year.   He probably takes his money and relaxes and/or takes a light gig somewhere rather than a coordinator job or AC job where there are high time expectations.  

David Culley you notice isn't working anywhere this year.   He could have had any number of AC or coordinator jobs in all likelihood.

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

So David Culley got paid 22 million to coach 1 year in Texas.

Lovie had a 4 year deal and now he is gone too.  

8 years that turned into 2 years, but $$$ is still owed for full time.

f19d38adcc7ac1de5bb2b0771a066399.gif

*** clears throat***

I'm throwing my name in for HC of the Houston Texans. I live for steak, hate Dallas, and love pick'em up trucks. Also, individual income tax is domestic terrorism.

Sign me and I will submit my formal resignation to Webby as moderator, this is my promise to you. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

f19d38adcc7ac1de5bb2b0771a066399.gif

*** clears throat***

I'm throwing my name in for HC of the Houston Texans. I live for steak, hate Dallas, and love pick'em up trucks. Also, individual income tax is domestic terrorism.

Sign me and I will submit my formal resignation to Webby as moderator, this is my promise to you. 

giphy.gif

Funny how that works.

I would take the gig for a year too same as Culley and Lovie.   

I mean I wouldn't mind having a pick up truck.   I can't eat steak, but I do love it.   

As for Houstonians.   I know several.   My cousin lives there.   My mom's best friend lives there and I visited growing up.  

Not sure many of them are against taxes anymore than anyone else is.   Few love taxes except those that can get around them.   They are realistic on taxes.   Death and taxes and all that.   Any form of govt. will want money and will find a way to take it.     I do think many wouldn't mind succession from Union if it could be done peacefully.   

Houston folks don't hate Dallas.   Austin folks (or the newer ones from CA) are kind of the outliers down there not so much Dallas.   Though Somebody Feed Phil did an episode on Austin BBQ that had my mouth watering whole time.

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Funny how that works.

I mean I wouldn't mind having a pick up truck.   I can't eat steak, but I do love it.   

As for Houstonians.   I know several.   My cousin lives there.   My mom's best friend lives there and I visited growing up.  

Not sure many of them are against taxes anymore than anyone else is.   Few love taxes except those that can get around them.   They are realistic on taxes.   Death and taxes and all that.   Any form of govt. will want money and will find a way to take it.     I do think many wouldn't mind succession from Union if it could be done peacefully.   

Houston folks don't hate Dallas.   Austin folks (or the newer ones from CA) are kind of the outliers down there not so much Dallas.   Though Somebody Feed Phil did an episode on Austin BBQ that had my mouth watering whole time.

They don't HATE Dallas. They don't LIKE them very much at all. I lived there for 10 years and the rivalry between those two fanbases is most definitely a real thing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Funny how that works.

Aside from being a kid and seeing Hakeem the Dream live (I was like 6-7 I think) I haven't been to Houston in the last 20 years. My dads best friend had lived there and we would visit until he ended up passing. I don't remember a lot about it besides food being great and it being so busy compared to my 3000 population hometown. lol

Did some consulting for my old sanitation company in Texas, some of the beef plants there are absolutely massive. Literally had carts to go from building to building.

I'm mostly just jealous of Texas not having an individual income tax. As someone making significant money that would be amazing.

Not Dallas people per se, I meant the Cowboys. We ALL hate them.  😁. Dallas people were pretty cool when I was there. There was a Saltgrass place that had two of the best ribeyes I've ever had, miss the hell out of that place. I think the wife and I went there 3-4 times in that week. lol