Joe Woods fired

NateDawg

My feelings on this   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Describe them

• Elated
    • Took too long
    • Just give my man some talent to work with!
    • Regrettable
    • ojabo edge would have helped

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Preifer is fine. Our only big ST mistakes were the 2 onside kick recoveries. Other than that the ST didn’t lose us any games. Which is all you can realistically ask for that unit. The missed FGs are on the kicker. Not the coach. He lost grant before the season started so he never had a real return guy back there. We didn’t give up any return TDs. He might not be the best but he didn’t do enough bad to get fired. 

Blocked FG's are definitely on the coach. How does that happen?

That said, the ST unit is ok. It's just infuriating that we have so many FG's blocked when it's simple HS stuff you have to do to prevent this from happening.

The Joe Woods firing makes me very happy. He needed to go 2 years ago after the Dallas Cowboy Prevent Defense Comeback Disaster, aptly named the DCPDCD in my head.

As previously stated, bring someone in that values stopping the run and sending pressures. Blitz opposite Garrett to eliminate their ability to double and triple team him. Plus, it means blitzing into the face of the QB, which is always good. Especially because we have 4 CB's (Greedy kinda) that can play press man coverage and run with dudes.

I'm assuming all of our position coaches are gone on D now, which is good. Chris Kiffin is a terrible DL coach IMO. You can't play with two wide 9's as a base defense when you play with 2 LB's and terrible DT's. We don't ever use our hands on the DL. That's a prerequisite for playing the position...in high school!

• Like 3

He wasn’t a complete disaster, but I also don’t think there’s anything he did to justify keeping his job either. We really got nothing from the special teams unit that showed some level of exceptional coaching. I would try my luck with the next guy. The kicking unit in particular didn’t look good and not just the accuracy of our rookie kicker.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I wouldn't necessarily hate that, Mayo has been a up an comer in the coaching ranks for a few years now, I think he got a few HC interviews this past off season, he is young and can relate to players, he always had a reputation as a no nonsense do your job type of guy as a player

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I wouldn't necessarily hate that, Mayo has been a up an comer in the coaching ranks for a few years now, I think he got a few HC interviews this past off season, he is young and can relate to players, he always had a reputation as a no nonsense do your job type of guy as a player

Yeah I would prefer a done it before prove DC but I could get behind this. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

You can't play with two wide 9's as a base defense when you play with 2 LB's and terrible DT's. We don't ever use our hands on the DL. That's a prerequisite for playing the position...in high school!

"Why are we a full fit short" says coach who encourages unblocked OTs to climb to both linebackers and 2 combo blocks on interior linemen...and that doesn't even take into account any type of +1 play/fit.

22 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

He’s highly thought of, so I wouldn’t be mad.

19 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Yeah I would prefer a done it before prove DC but I could get behind this. 

Same.

I’d love to remove the “can this guy even coach?” possibility, but just get a good dude.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Like most good defenses they use a slew of fronts iirc.  They do tend to be bigger than most though.

Of course that’s been BB his whole career, Mayo may not have the same preferences.

I for one think we need to get bigger so I wouldn’t be unhappy about that