What am I missing….Rd 1 and 2 edition

warfelg

This was a fun “game” I saw on another site that I want to do here. 

Basic premise is I’ll start with someone mocked to us in the first two rounds that I don’t see why people like him. Then quote that, and talk me through why he’s worthy of the pick, and then put your own prospect you are failing to see it on. 

I’ll go first:

Cam Smith CB South Carolina. 

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

This was a fun “game” I saw on another site that I want to do here. 

Basic premise is I’ll start with someone mocked to us in the first two rounds that I don’t see why people like him. Then quote that, and talk me through why he’s worthy of the pick, and then put your own prospect you are failing to see it on. 

I’ll go first:

Cam Smith CB South Carolina. 

First off, if the pick is CB in the first, there are 3 or 4 guys to consider. I don't think any of them fall to #32, so it will have to be #17. It could well be that 2 or 3 CBs are already off the board there. So, I think the pick -- If CB -- will be one of Porter, Gonzales, Smith, or Ringo. Out of those 4, I think Porter and Smith are 1a/1b. Ringo is a close 2. Gonzales is a distant 3. Of course, these are my opinions, and others will differ.

Smith is very versatile having played all over that D. He's got great hands, and covers well in man and zone. Biggest issue is he grabs a bit. He had a very good 2021, and teams shied away from him more in 2022. Still decent numbers.

Now as to I see mocked and don't get it:

Christian Gonzales, CB, OR/CO

Christian Gonzales plays mostly in an off-man scheme that Oregon likes.  He shows a great awareness in zone coverage and is smooth in transition and hip flips.  I am not sure how he would be at press man.  He is like Patrick Surtain in build but not in play ( as Surtain is a pure press-man CB).  He fits what the Steelers play on Defense.

Bryan Bresee IDL Clemson

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

Christian Gonzales plays mostly in an off-man scheme that Oregon likes.  He shows a great awareness in zone coverage and is smooth in transition and hip flips.  I am not sure how he would be at press man.  He is like Patrick Surtain in build but not in play ( as Surtain is a pure press-man CB).  He fits what the Steelers play on Defense.

Bryan Bresee IDL Clemson

Bryan Breese has Steelers written all over him. Plays with a mean streak, is a great athlete for his size and can play 
DE or DT in a variety of schemes. He's super strong and the kind of kid that is all football and self motivation.
Cut from a similar cloth as the Wyatt brothers. A worker. This guy will play in the league a long time if he's healthy.
Only worry is injury history which bit him this year, but still, he likely won't be there at 17.

CB J.Porter Jr