Wild Card Round: Giants (9-7-1) at VIKINGS (13-4)

swede700

On 1/9/2023 at 10:58 AM, VikeManDan said:

Thanks for this, I was wondering who might be playing that didn't play in the Christmas Eve matchup.

From a Vikings perspective:

+ Irv Smith Jr. 

- Brian O'Neill (RT) and Austin Schlottmann (OC)

??? Akayleb Evans (CB) and Garrett Bradbury (OC)

Who am I missing guys?

Honestly the first time the Vikings Giants played, the Giants beat them up and tackled extremely well and aggressively.  Dexter Lawrence is going to destroy Reed at center and even if Bradbury plays he will destroy him as well.  If Leonard Williams can play that will be a massive problem.  

Jihad Ward played well the first time out, Thibodeaux will be a big problem and even the rookie on the Giants McFadden provides some solid pass rush as well.  

The Giants have a more physical and tough team and if they can slow down the game, get an early lead and lean on the run game the Vikings could be in trouble.  It would be nice if the Vikings committed to the run game, it would help out that crap D they have and would shorten the game up.  But with that many injuries on the OL they probably will not be able to do it.  

Odd to say but the Giants seem to have a stable identity with how they play the game.  Not sure what the identity of the Vikings is exactly outside of get the ball to Justin Jefferson.  It is one of the oddest seasons the Vikings have ever had, on paper the record is great but odd to say because one still does not know exactly what this team is.  

Their only blowout dominating win all season was the first game against Green Bay which was legit, then they got totally blowout in two of their games and all the rest were only won by one score, then the last game against Chicago was their 2nd blowout win, which was not legit because the Bears had a crappy backup QB in the game and backup defensive backs all over.  Hell Harrison Hand played for the Bears and got what 9 tackles?  And Greg Stroman Jr I did not even think was in the NFL anymore, basically wasn't outside of that one game, and Elijah Hicks at safety is beyond suspect.   So very odd season, and also was 38 rush attempts for the Vikings a season high?  I believe they were in the 20s before per game rush attempts, which was bottom three worst in the league in terms of fewest rush attempts per game in the NFL.  

The Giants defense was good the last time we faced them.  Were they the toughest all year?  

I think both squads are battle tested . . . We played each team in their division.   I thought the Bills, Jets, Commanders, Philly and Dallas each played great defensive football against our Vikings.   The Lions played really well both times.   We've faced elite defenses . . . And beat most of them.  

That said, O'Neill blocked Von Miller and whoever while CD takes care of business.  Now, we get to see if Uli has grown into the stingy monster his draft profile showed he could be.  

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

absolutely no shame. He should be no lower than 8th on this list. I don't think I would do it, but there's an argument to be made that if you take this season in a vacuum he's 6th.

And I'm not sure you can state Lamar Jackson is the starting QB because last I checked, he's likely not playing this weekend.  I suppose it depends upon the criteria, but neither Daniel Jones, Trevor Lawrence, nor Geno Smith have ever even played in a playoff game.  I like Dan, but that's actually fairly disrespectful to both Kirk and Dak.  

• Like 4

Small sample size, as both are rookie HC's, but here is how KO and Daboll fared in their 2nd matchups within the division.

KO: 1-2 (3-0 in first matchups)
Daboll: 1-2 (0-2-1 in first matchups)

Seems Daboll and the Giants struggled just as much as the Vikings in those divisional rematches. Granted they had 2 playoff teams to contend with.

Awfully quiet in here this week....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

absolutely no shame. He should be no lower than 8th on this list. I don't think I would do it, but there's an argument to be made that if you take this season in a vacuum he's 6th.

Not sure I agree about Geno Smith but Daniel Jones has played better than Kirk this season. I'd probably have Cousins at 9th or 10th

20 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

Not sure I agree about Geno Smith but Daniel Jones has played better than Kirk this season. I'd probably have Cousins at 9th or 10th

For the playoffs? Daniel Jones, Geno Smith, Trevor Lawrence, and Justin Herbert have never even been to the playoffs, much less won a playoff game. Daniel Jones also did not play better than Kirk in the regular season. Not sure how anyone would come to that conclusion.

• Like 3