What are some things the Packers could/should do in the 2023 off season?

svp

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The 10 Million AAV club is Tyler Boyd, Devante Parker, Tim Patrick, DJ Chark, Russel Gage, and MVS

You think Lazard doesn't make that?

First off, I think that Allen Lazard would probably get more on the open market.  That's the offer that I'd make, and if he takes it good.  If he passes, good luck.  Secondly, let's look at the guys you threw out.  Tyler Boyd is better and has a better and longer track record than Allen Lazard.  DeVante Parker is averaging $7.6M/year on his deal, not $10M+.  Tim Patrick signed a $11.3M/year, but only $3M signing bonus and the only parts GTD were his 2022 salary and roster bonus, which was eventually turned into a signing bonus.  If the Broncos release him right now, they're only on the hook for $6.1M and they could save over $5M by releasing him.  DJ Chark got a 1 year, $10M with 2 void years so calling it a $10M/year AAV contract seems a bit disengenious.  The structure of Russell Gage's contract is a huge red flag.  That 3rd year is a dummy year, and the only reason that second year isn't is because they gauranteed part of that 2nd year.  Hell, they could still get out of his contract this year and they'd save money.  MVS is even easier to get out of then Gage's contract.  He's got an $11M cap hit next year, and the Chiefs take $4M in dead cap if they release him.

If tacking on a few extra million in the last year of his contract is needed, he knows he won't see that money.

6 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Lazard had 100 targets this season. Those were just the big name guys who were within 5 total targets (plus deebo w/ rushing included) of him this season. 

Just thought people would find it surprising or at least interesting how Lazard matched up on a per target basis against elite players last year. Why Lazard only had a similar amount of targets in more games is up for debate. 

Ah, indeed that is interesting. Carry on.

11 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Why can’t we ask Lazard (listed at 6’-5” 227#) to put on 10-12# and play TE?  He’s plenty fast for TE and is probably a better blocker than any TE we have except for Lewis.

we’d have. Too 10 TE and to me, the money works then. 

With how he plays and lines up....does it matter if we call him a WR or a TE?  The issue to me is not a positional thing.  It's value for the contract.

I feel he's worth it, around 8M/year.  Regardless of whether he is deemed a TE or WR.  

Dude plays outside some, spends a lot of time in the slot and blocks like a TE.  Other "normal" tight ends line up wide, too.

I get the cap thing.  I too feel like we can either find another blocking WR/TE like Lazard in FA or in the draft.  But I feel like whether this team rolls with Rodgers or Love, Lazard is good for our offense.

Of course, Rodgers said he wanted to play with Adams and MVS last year, too.  So that may mean the writing is on the wall.

On 1/18/2023 at 10:36 AM, wgbeethree said:

Some fun stats I dug up real quick from 2022....

Lazard 100 targets 788 yards 6 TDs 13 "big" plays

Kupp 98 targets 812 yards 6 TDs 11 "big" plays

Hopkins 96 targets 717 yards 3 TDs 8 "big" plays

Deebo 94 targets 632 yards 2 TDs 7 "big" plays

Deebo w/ rushing 865 yards 5 TDs 10 "big" plays

I'll just leave those there and do with them what you will.

Imagine being QB for a team where friggin Deebo only has that statline because of all the other weapons on that team...

On 1/17/2023 at 9:57 AM, Sandy said:

Yeah the Christian Kirk deal is the one I keep going back to...a team with a ton of cap space and an empty WR room could throw $15-18m AAV his way just to get the "best WR on the market".

I don't think even the Bears are this dumb. 

• Like 1

Moves i'd like to see us make are:

• Either trade Rodgers post June 1 or have him retire post June 1. Either move results in us saving 15m this year and 16m next year.
  • Restructure 10m of Bahktiari's contract and add 2 void years - saves us 7.5m
  • Restructure 12m of Alexander's contract - saves us 8.9m
  • Restructure 7m of Jones' contract - saves us 5.25m
  • Restructure 6m of Smith's contract - saves us 4.5m
  • Trade Savage for anything we can get (even if its a conditional pick in 2024) - saves us 7.9m
  • Extend Gary once we are confident his knee is fine - Save up to 5m

Those moves take us from 16.2m over the cap to about 37m under the cap.

From there we can bring back guys like Nijman, Nixon, Ford, Amos, Leavitt and maybe add a couple of mid tier free agents

Edited by OzPackfan

On 1/19/2023 at 6:55 PM, OzPackfan said:

Moves i'd like to see us make are:

• Either trade Rodgers post June 1 or have him retire post June 1. Either move results in us saving 15m this year and 16m next year.
  • Restructure 10m of Bahktiari's contract and add 2 void years - saves us 7.5m
  • Restructure 12m of Alexander's contract - saves us 8.9m
  • Restructure 7m of Jones' contract - saves us 5.25m
  • Restructure 6m of Smith's contract - saves us 4.5m
  • Trade Savage for anything we can get (even if its a conditional pick in 2024) - saves us 7.9m
  • Extend Gary once we are confident his knee is fine - Save up to 5m

Those moves take us from 16.2m over the cap to about 37m under the cap.

From there we can bring back guys like Nijman, Nixon, Ford, Amos, Leavitt and maybe add a couple of mid tier free agents

GB isn't going to ask Rodgers to retire.  That has to be his decision.  If he wants to continue to play - and I have a feeling he does - Packers' management will either welcome him with open arms or approach him with the idea of a trade.  I suspect it is going to be the former.

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

GB isn't going to ask Rodgers to retire.  That has to be his decision.  If he wants to continue to play - and I have a feeling he does - Packers' management will either welcome him with open arms or approach him with the idea of a trade.  I suspect it is going to be the former.

I think you are probably right, but it will be a massive mistake. Aaron has already had four cracks at it in the playoffs with LaFleur and we're heading in the wrong direction.  It's the perfect time to just move on and try to win a different way. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What now?

Kirk was 7.6 million this year and had 1100 yards and 8 TDs.  That is pretty good.

Now, next season he counts 23 million against the cap, and that is a different story.  All he needs to do to equal that production per dollar is 3330 yards and 22 TDs.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 9:24 AM, vegas492 said:

With how he plays and lines up....does it matter if we call him a WR or a TE?  The issue to me is not a positional thing.  It's value for the contract.

I feel he's worth it, around 8M/year.  Regardless of whether he is deemed a TE or WR.  

Dude plays outside some, spends a lot of time in the slot and blocks like a TE.  Other "normal" tight ends line up wide, too.

I get the cap thing.  I too feel like we can either find another blocking WR/TE like Lazard in FA or in the draft.  But I feel like whether this team rolls with Rodgers or Love, Lazard is good for our offense.

Of course, Rodgers said he wanted to play with Adams and MVS last year, too.  So that may mean the writing is on the wall.

Rodgers still signed that extension knowing Adams and MVS were on the way out the door.  If Lazard, Cobb and Lewis leave Rodgers might still stay if he feels Gute and company are surrounding him with enough talent.  IMO Rodgers is traded if HE desires it.