What are some things the Packers could/should do in the 2023 off season?

svp

2 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Get Quay some Mental Health Resources/Therapist

He's a kid, sheesh, we need to stop expecting kids that are 21-22 to be well rounded individuals. Heck most 30-40 somethings aren't. Our expections are too high, so the kid had a couple mishaps. Also had a good learning season. Wish we had of given Wyant more snaps throughout the year. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

We might not have to worry about Rodgers.  There is a chance he'll retire.  If he wants to keep playing is there a GM willing to make a deal for a 40 year old QB at his salary?  I suspect he will be our starter in 2023 if he doesn't hand up his cleats.

Draft (or trade/sign) another WR or 2.  I like Watson and Doubs but Cobb is well past his prime.  Lazard is a nice guy to have around doing the dirty work but isn't a #1.

Draft (or trade/sign) a speedy TE.  Our TE group does not put fear in any defenses in this league.

Draft a tackle.  Nijman isn't the answer and Tom is better suited inside.  Better depth on the OL would be a plus too.

It is truly time to give Barry his walking papers.  Too often he doesn't put his players in position to be successful.  This unit is too talented to be playing like this.

Getting another speedy ILB would be nice to go with Campbell.  

Amos is getting long in the tooth and we need a compliment to Jaire at corner.  I hope Stokes returns to form.

I like what Rich Bisaccia has done with our ST but Crosby's leg isn't what it once was.  Nixon has been a revelation so I hope we keep him around.

Many good thoughts here. 

I'm hoping Rodgers retires or will entertain a trade to a team he approves. Right now, I doubt he wants to entertain the idea of being traded. I'm really though at the point with him that its better to move past him. If he is determined to stay, I would tell him he will have to fight for the starting quarterback position with Jordan Love (he won't want to hear that and that might be enough for him to embrace the trade idea). Or, just tell him we need to "rebuild". He said he wouldn't want to stay around for a rebuild.

We definitely need a WR3 and a tight end. We have to get teams out of playing 9 in the box like the Lions did against us most of last night. Doubs has to get better in terms of his focus on the catch and play stronger with stronger hands. Watson just needs to improve his footwork and his knowledge of defenses and our overall passing game and how to make adjustments on the fly.

I don't know if Nijman was hurt (the shoulder), but it was not a great performance.  I agree Tom is better suited inside, specifically at center where his quickness and athleticism would thrive.  #71 was a disappointment to me this season as he really did not grow at all from last year.  Bak will probably be back and that's a good thing. Hopefully another year removed from his ACL will help him a little more next year.

Barry should be given his walking papers....but will he? The defense did play better as the year went on. This defense is not set up to specifically stuff the run and we don't have guys that can take on double team blocks well and hold the point. A better pass rush from the interior would have been a difference maker last night.  It was good in the first quarter, but dwindled in the second half. 

We desperately need quality depth at outside linebacker.

Agree on the need a safety.

Sure sounds like a retool to me.

The main thing is that, if Rodgers does retire, I think they need to do whatever they can to just eat the $40 Million dead cap hit and basically punt 2023. Just rip that bandaid right off and suck it up for a season and start fresh in 2024. Not sure what they'd need to do to get there but that doesn't matter since I'd still expect them to spread it out into 2024.

• Like 5

Worried about the pass rush for at least 2/3 of next season after Gary's injury... likely will need continual investment there the next few drafts with Smith's contract 3 years out from ending, would give a kid time to get up to speed before a likely cut/not resign, unlike what they did with the WR position the prior 3 years leading up to Adams departure.

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The main thing is that, if Rodgers does retire, I think they need to do whatever they can to just eat the $40 Million dead cap hit and basically punt 2023. Just rip that bandaid right off and suck it up for a season and start fresh in 2024. Not sure what they'd need to do to get there but that doesn't matter since I'd still expect them to spread it out into 2024.

Salary cap wise they will be able to stomach his dead money and retool for a division title in 2023, should that be the path they choose.  

The cap situation is far from dire next season if Rodgers retires. The problem is if he doesn't retire, comes back for one more season, and then retires. That would destroy us in 2024.

No matter if it's Rodgers/Love AT QB

Get them help on offense, more WRs and a real TE that can stretch the field.  We've invested so much into the defense top heavy of the draft that we need to start building up this offense again. Lazard/Cobb is most likely gone so there will be spots open.  Getting another Tackle wouldn't hurt too.

Defense we really need to invest in another Saftey and get some more EDGE depth, besides that I think we are good everywhere else. Maybe another IDL.

As for coaches, I'm still scared we  keep Barry, but we need to get a young bright minds at both coordinator positions. Stenavich seemed like a placeholder, as much as Hackett was bad in Denver this year he worked well with LaFleur and his loss at OC affected us more than it seems.  As for DC we need to get an aggressive creative mind in here that challenges offenses and doesn't make them play soft on 3rd down.

• Like 1

Need to fix the D, in the DC position that would be ideal. We have the ponies and our scheme is poor and we do not use any mix up or match ups. When we did it 1 week we looked absolutely like the D many thought we would have had. Heck get me one of the Ryan bros anyone someone that has an agresisve bone on his body. Barry is not it. 

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

He's a kid, sheesh, we need to stop expecting kids that are 21-22 to be well rounded individuals. Heck most 30-40 somethings aren't. Our expections are too high, so the kid had a couple mishaps. Also had a good learning season. Wish we had of given Wyant more snaps throughout the year. 

Quay Walker says in the locker room just now that he spoke with the Lions trainer he shoved for a while today and prays that he can be forgiven.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

Since we’re not shipping out our HC, DC and OC should both be under the microscope.  I’m assuming Barry will be out but if that’s the case, we need to get that hire right. This year we had the talent to make some noise but we couldn’t get a full game together for the first half of the season.  Part of that is on the offense for failing to control the ball but we could have put guys in better places to win. Need an upgrade there.

At OC, Steno didn’t impress me. I know we lost WR1 but we were not good in short yardage and in the RZ. I don’t know what his identity is but I’d assume with the Oline background we would be able to get a better ground game going. Things did open up in the run game as the season went on and not coincidentally, the Oline got healthier so who knows what we could have been but the RZ drop off was too big to be ignored. We’ve got to be able to punch it in when we get there  and if Steno can’t figure out how a change needs to be made. 

In the end, it is as much about personnel as it is scheme but I believe we had enough in all three phases to be better and underperformed.  Once the season got going it was apparent that we weren’t a top contender but the team should have been able to crack the NFC postseason. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Off to a great start!!

Yeah, well if he wants to hitch his wagons to Barry for another season, he can put his own job on the line too. I'll never understand the stubbornness of coaches. This is why you don't hire friends. Clouds your damn vision.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, well if he wants to hitch his wagons to Barry for another season, he can put his own job on the line too. I'll never understand the stubbornness of coaches. This is why you don't hire friends. Clouds your damn vision.

Yup. My exact thoughts. I texted my dad "I think he's a good coach, but if it's his prerogative to go down with the ship, I won't feel the least bit sorry for him."

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't know if its stubburness, I think it's him being a bit soft and not wanting to fire someone.