What are some things the Packers could/should do in the 2023 off season?

svp

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I think you're overrating the O-Line. In key games this year they were man handled. Maybe Bahk and Jenkins return to 100% next year. Hopefully. Myers hasn't shown much at C, and the real concern is the right side. Runyan and Nijman are journeymen and I don't see any upgrades on the roster, except Tom. If I'm the GM I take T at the first pick and G at the 2nd, and hope Tom takes over at C. Let Nijman walk and hope that Runyan, Walker, Myers, and Newman can provide depth. 

In cold night games late in January, the O-Line has to be good enough to take over a game.

I may be.

But it will be year 3 for Myers.  Time for him to get it, or get out of the way.  I'll throw Runyan in there too.

Nijman?  I see a lot of value there.  This was his first go around playing RT.  He's such a great athlete that I refuse to believe that he can't play RT if he trains for that position.

And Tom is the wildcard.

But I like the line and I love the depth.  It is that depth that should push the line forward with competition.  

Gimme a healthy Rodgers with this line and WR's that have a year of experience and I think we can win 11-13 games again.

Again...optimistic day for me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

It would have been nice to have Z, especially when Gary went down. It would have been nice to have Lucas Patrick at RG instead of Hanson. It would have been nice to have MVS as your deep threat before Watson's emergence rather than Sammy Watkins. 

You're assuming we wanted to keep z to begin with, letting him walk was the right move. Gary was a top 15 pick primed to start, one of the Smiths was gone regardless and we chose to get rid of the one who had a back injury all year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pgwingman said:

This is what Saints fans said too

Don't you think these two points are related?

The Saints don't have a franchise QB. The situations aren't even comparable.

Also they are not at all related. We've always been a draft and develop team regardless of the cap. 

Edited by StatKing

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I may be.

But it will be year 3 for Myers.  Time for him to get it, or get out of the way.  I'll throw Runyan in there too.

Nijman?  I see a lot of value there.  This was his first go around playing RT.  He's such a great athlete that I refuse to believe that he can't play RT if he trains for that position.

And Tom is the wildcard.

But I like the line and I love the depth.  It is that depth that should push the line forward with competition.  

Gimme a healthy Rodgers with this line and WR's that have a year of experience and I think we can win 11-13 games again.

Again...optimistic day for me.

I'll let Olive Oil sum up my opinion of Myers: 

15 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I think you're overrating the O-Line. In key games this year they were man handled. Maybe Bahk and Jenkins return to 100% next year. Hopefully. Myers hasn't shown much at C, and the real concern is the right side. Runyan and Nijman are journeymen and I don't see any upgrades on the roster, except Tom. If I'm the GM I take T at the first pick and G at the 2nd, and hope Tom takes over at C. Let Nijman walk and hope that Runyan, Walker, Myers, and Newman can provide depth. 

In cold night games late in January, the O-Line has to be good enough to take over a game.

I might agree with Nijman, but that is all before Bahk and Jenkins got situated. We literally just need to find a RT, and if we stay put at 15 it should be the obvious choice. That's an elite line with a first round tackle to round it out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

I might agree with Nijman, but that is all before Bahk and Jenkins got situated. We literally just need to find a RT, and if we stay put at 15 it should be the obvious choice. That's an elite line with a first round tackle to round it out. 

The Oline is a strange situation if you look to 2024. What do you have in Nijman, is it enough to sign him long term? What if you have to pay him top 10 money to be a middling player? Bakh looks like he's returned to form and is under contract through 2024, but will he hold up? Could Zach Tom take either of those positions to save some money?

JRJ will be a UFA next offseason. Myers is going into his third year but was literally a bottom 5 center per PFF. Tom has played Center as well, could he fill in if Myers struggles?

Jenkins could theoretically play any position along the line and is the only long term lock. 

Which is all to say, I agree with your assessment. If there's a top Tackle on the board like that Skoronski guy from Northwestern, do you take him at 15 and plan on letting Bakh and Nijman go? 

Which is all to say, my dark horse perfect scenario, given how much Rodgers likes playing with his friends, if I'm Gute I'm quietly telling teams that Bakh and Rodgers are a package.

Edited by pgwingman

4 hours ago, pgwingman said:

The Oline is a strange situation if you look to 2024. What do you have in Nijman, is it enough to sign him long term? What if you have to pay him top 10 money to be a middling player? Bakh looks like he's returned to form and is under contract through 2024, but will he hold up? Could Zach Tom take either of those positions to save some money?

JRJ will be a UFA next offseason. Myers is going into his third year but was literally a bottom 5 center per PFF. Tom has played Center as well, could he fill in if Myers struggles?

Jenkins could theoretically play any position along the line and is the only long term lock. 

Which is all to say, I agree with your assessment. If there's a top Tackle on the board like that Skoronski guy from Northwestern, do you take him at 15 and plan on letting Bakh and Nijman go? 

Which is all to say, my dark horse perfect scenario, given how much Rodgers likes playing with his friends, if I'm Gute I'm quietly telling teams that Bakh and Rodgers are a package.

Right now the only team I know of that needs a LT and a QB is Tennessee 

Edit: that has draft capital and a "win-now" mindset

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

LaFleur already saying he wasn't making any coaching staff changes + Gute's presser today + this from Rapoport has me completely resigned to the fact that the Packers really are just gonna "run it back" again next year for another season of NFL purgatory.

Edited by deltarich87
  • Like 1