2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Frank Clark's best ability is availability. He's never missed more than 2 games in a season in his 8 year career and might be a cap casualty this season unless he works a new deal with the Chiefs. Carlos Dunlap has only made more than $8,500,000 in a season twice, both years when he signed a new contract. His cap hit is $3,000,000. Romeo got paid $26 million over the last two seasons while playing 9 total games. His cap hit this season is $14,500,000. Both of those players offer more value for their contracts than what Romeo offers on his current contract.

On top of all of this, neither are dealing with an Achilles injury. Okwara showed very little upon his return 15 months after the injury.  If he had shown he was back to same old Romeo, we would likely keep him.  But given his contract and injury, he just isn’t in the same category as those others. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

1. What would be alot to you? a 1st? 2 2nds? 

2. We will be in position to get Witherspoon or Gonzalez no matter what trade the Lions make, as they would not send the #6 pick back to the Rams. 

3. Trading for a single player does not seem to be an "all-in" move. Every team adds players every offseason. Lions are expected to add one or two FAs outside of their own guys with the capspace they will have available. 

4. Not sure how trading for a guy on a 3 year deal is a "short-term move" when the Lions have signed guys to 1 or 2 year deals since the Holmes/Campbell regime arrived.

5. Not sure how adding a vet presence at a young position you are trying to build up is seen as a negative. Lions are the youngest team in the league. They don't need an influx of youth, they have plenty. And will have even more after the draft. Adding a vet player doesn't negate the foundation of how Holmes has built this team. The young guys need growth and development on the field. It's why we had guys like Roy Williams around for Calvin Johnson. Why we brought in KVB for Suh. Why we signed Glover Quin when we had Slay and Diggs. 

The moves for KVB and Glover Quin were free agent signings that didn't require the Lions to give up major draft capital.  More importantly, KVB's best seasons were in Tennessee and never reached double-digit sacks with Detroit.    

What you are saying about Glover Quin makes no sense.  Glover Quin was a safety.  Darius Slay was a CB.  Even with a high-end CB you still need good safeties.  Glover Quin played at a much higher level than most people expected.  He wasn't regarded as a Pro Bowl level safety when he was signed.

Edited by Just Want A Title

16 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

1. What would be alot to you? a 1st? 2 2nds? 

2. We will be in position to get Witherspoon or Gonzalez no matter what trade the Lions make, as they would not send the #6 pick back to the Rams. 

3. Trading for a single player does not seem to be an "all-in" move. Every team adds players every offseason. Lions are expected to add one or two FAs outside of their own guys with the capspace they will have available. 

4. Not sure how trading for a guy on a 3 year deal is a "short-term move" when the Lions have signed guys to 1 or 2 year deals since the Holmes/Campbell regime arrived.

5. Not sure how adding a vet presence at a young position you are trying to build up is seen as a negative. Lions are the youngest team in the league. They don't need an influx of youth, they have plenty. And will have even more after the draft. Adding a vet player doesn't negate the foundation of how Holmes has built this team. The young guys need growth and development on the field. It's why we had guys like Roy Williams around for Calvin Johnson. Why we brought in KVB for Suh. Why we signed Glover Quin when we had Slay and Diggs. 

Jalen Ramsey's Cap number is well above $20 million per year with his current contract.  The Lions will have to make decisions on extensions for Jonah Jackson, Penei Sewell, ARSB and Jared Goff in the near future with Aidan Hutchinson coming not too long afterwards.  Taking on Ramsey's contract would make re-signing Jonah Jackson pretty difficult.  

Personally, I see the Lions signing someone like Bryon Murphy Jr and/or Courtland Sutton to compliment Jerry Jacobs and whoever else we draft this year.

4 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

The moves for KVB and Glover Quin were free agent signings that didn't require the Lions to give up major draft capital.  More importantly, KVB's best seasons were in Tennessee and never reached double-digit sacks with Detroit.    

What you are saying about Glover Quin makes no sense.  Glover Quin was a safety.  Darius Slay was a CB.  Even with a high-end CB you still need good safeties.  Glover Quin played at a much higher level than most people expected.  He wasn't regarded as a Pro Bowl level safety when he was signed.

They were both brought in to be on field vet presence for the young players next to them. They used up cap space, like what we'd use to trade for Ramsey. I see Lions fans saying we shouldn't use cap space to sign him when we need small contracts, but vet presence for young players cost money.

Ramseys cap numbers on the Rams is not what the Lions would be taking on for trading for him. Rams would eat his prorated signing bonus. Lions would pay $17 million this season. ($18 M in 24 and $19 m in 25 if still on roster). 

Ramseys contract would not impact retaining our own guys or re-signing guys 2 or 3 years down the road. It's called cap management. We have a good cap guy in Disner. This is his job. 

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

They were both brought in to be on field vet presence for the young players next to them. They used up cap space, like what we'd use to trade for Ramsey. I see Lions fans saying we shouldn't use cap space to sign him when we need small contracts, but vet presence for young players cost money.

Ramseys cap numbers on the Rams is not what the Lions would be taking on for trading for him. Rams would eat his prorated signing bonus. Lions would pay $17 million this season. ($18 M in 24 and $19 m in 25 if still on roster). 

Ramseys contract would not impact retaining our own guys or re-signing guys 2 or 3 years down the road. It's called cap management. We have a good cap guy in Disner. This is his job. 

I know Ramsey is still a top CB, but does his brand of "vet presence" fit the culture MCDC is trying to build? Ramsey very much seems like a me first type player.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I know Ramsey is still a top CB, but does his brand of "vet presence" fit the culture MCDC is trying to build? Ramsey very much seems like a me first type player.

I don't see him as a me first player. I think he's passionate. Reminds me of Penei and ARSB. Reminds me of Darius Slay as far as mentality. I don't think he puts himself before the team. 

37 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I don't see him as a me first player. I think he's passionate. Reminds me of Penei and ARSB. Reminds me of Darius Slay as far as mentality. I don't think he puts himself before the team. 

I have a hard time seeing Sewell, ARSB, or Slay pretending to be injured to force a trade like Ramsey (allegedly) did to get out of Jacksonville. 

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

The players don't seem to see him that way given that multiple Lions players have made public statements that they want him here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I have a hard time seeing Sewell, ARSB, or Slay pretending to be injured to force a trade like Ramsey (allegedly) did to get out of Jacksonville. 

I don't know that Ramsey faked an injury, but he did request the trade from Jacksonville and Brad Holmes was apart of the front office that decided to trade for him at the time. 

3 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The players don't seem to see him that way given that multiple Lions players have made public statements that they want him here.

I know MCDC can't publicly talk about players under contract with other teams but I'd like to know if he though trading for Ramsey was a good fit. 

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I don't know that Ramsey faked an injury, but he did request the trade from Jacksonville and Brad Holmes was apart of the front office that decided to trade for him at the time. 

His back injury which kept his out of several games for Jacksonville was miraculously healed and kept him out of zero practices once he was traded. I guess I'm a skeptic. 

• Like 1